Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » That old Romulan ship (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: That old Romulan ship
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
.. from the Chronology. I'm working on something similar:
 -

Not quite sure yet if I like this design. It is a bit silly and not particularly beautiful, and those 'wings' are a bit annoying to draw.

But here it is anyway. I'm not sure yet if I'll finish it, or if I'm going to make any derivative ships.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks good for a start! I think the front section is rounder in the Chronology photo, but the flatter nose does make the ship look more distinctive. [Smile]

I've always wondered how fans could ever think that the Romulans had no warp drive when even the (formerly) semi-canon warship of the time had nacelles!

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not supposed to be the exact same ship as the one in the Chronology (simply because those pictures are nowhere clear enough to use).

I think a compromise like Sternbach described would be interesting. Large warp-ships, with smaller impulse ships (including early BoPs) carried aboard warp carriers.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why do I hear the Flash Gordon music in the background whenever I look at those Chronology ships?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sarvek
Member # 910

- posted      Profile for Sarvek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Harry, cool looking ship. Those ships from the chronology really look old in comparison to the Romulan ships seen in Enterprise. It is great to see a Romulan ship being rendered here. Are you going to have any other views of this ship?
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

Well, first I have to finish the sideview. I've just updated the wings, and I'll put the bird-like pattern back on next.

-

--------------------

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice work, Harry. That panelling work is especially cool-looking.

Of course, Okuda maintains these ships were sublight! Evidently the nacelle-like structures are for storing camping equipment.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well they might go close to the Speed of Light?

The whole thing that screws EVERYTHING to do with Romulan warp history is Picard's line about Romulans getting warp drive a century before Insurrection!

I SUPPOSE you could say what they had before wasn't a reliable form of sustained warp - and that these earlier Romulan ships could only frog-hop from one point to another? Like only 10 Light Years at a stretch?

Maybe in Romulan ships the bussards are still for collecting interstellar hydrogen but the tubes are some other sort of drive?

I've always thought that that design for Early Romulan ships was a good one - and gave a good feeling of the 'chain of tech'. It was contemporary with the Daedelus Class I reckon - and cause the Daedelus is in the FUTURE from "Enterprise" - these ships might be too.

Pity we never saw who ever did that Romulan Ship - their version of an old Klingon Ship. All the ships in Enterprise are too 24th century.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As good as harry is, he's still trying to make a design that's a cross between Flash Gordon and Lynch's Dune into something Star Trek.
It's just not very romulan looking in shape.
...and it looks like a big green toilet paper holder from the side. [Big Grin]

[ May 23, 2003, 11:39 PM: Message edited by: Jason Abbadon ]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The whole thing that screws EVERYTHING to do with Romulan warp history is Picard's line about Romulans getting warp drive a century before Insurrection!
Picard says nothing of the sort.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He said Romulans were petty thugs when they got Warp Drive a century ago. (In Insurrection)

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
As good as harry is, he's still trying to make a design that's a cross between Flash Gorgon and Lynch's Dune into something Star Trek.

Isn't he trying to do this ship:

http://lobotomy.pleh.net/~flareupload/uploads/44/r02.jpg

http://lobotomy.pleh.net/~flareupload/uploads/44/r04.jpg

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, he doesn't. That is, Picard doesn't.
Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's right.

---

DOUGHERTY: We can handle the Son'a, I'm not worried about that...

PICARD: Someone probably said the same thing about the Romulans a century ago.

---

Picard only said that people thought they could handle the Romulans circa 2270, and it turned out they couldn't. He doesn't specifically associate that with the Romulans getting warp drive. Warp drive is only mentioned as having been responsible for the Romulans transforming from "thugs" into an empire.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
As good as harry is, he's still trying to make a design that's a cross between Flash Gorgon and Lynch's Dune into something Star Trek.

Isn't he trying to do this ship:

http://lobotomy.pleh.net/~flareupload/uploads/44/r02.jpg

http://lobotomy.pleh.net/~flareupload/uploads/44/r04.jpg

Yes, with improvments I hope: it's just a lost cause to make that look cool or more likely than it already does.
It's a tin can made to be 50's retro for the Chronolgy and not a serious design.
If they had shown this ship in the episode with the Romulans most people would've laughed their ass off and changed the station.
Probably for good. [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps