Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » That old Romulan ship (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: That old Romulan ship
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did make some sketches for a TOS colony ship, but they didn't quite work out. But you know, some day..

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tomorrow is "some day".... [Big Grin]

I'd love to see you make a TOS version of the Colony ship from FASA.
It kinda looked TOS-ish already but definitely not a typical Starfleet design.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of typical, perhaps this old Romulan ship is actually their average Fleet Replenishment Tanker. Or Planetary Assault Mule and Ox Carrier. Since the actual fighting vessels were unseen thanks to cloaking technology, this is the only stuff the Earthlings could get intelligence photos of...

I think a little flattening would do a world of good to the design, too. Or a lot of flattening. The main problem IMHO is the too simplistic forward hull shape, which isn't coolified enough by the addition of that "helmet" or "chest plate" layer over the dorsal and forward surfaces. A more aggressive shape is needed. I'd actually go for lateral flattening, i.e. vertical elongation, to make the front look more like a D'eridex head.

Frankly, the ship can never be aggressive enough when the forward hull outbulks the aft part. That just plain isn't birdlike. Flatten the bow, generate "cuts" or "waists" into it wherever you can, play with the colors. Everything is fair in trying to make the bow look narrower in relation to the rest of the ship.

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe the big cylinder ship - is what carrys the smaller BOP??? That was mentioned in the Sternbach article?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That would make the BOP far smaller than shown or the "pill" shaped ship far larger than the windows would have us believe.
You could say that the larger ships can create a large stable warp field and the BOP's fly in tight formation to stay in the bubble and remain at warp.
That might work.
The BOP's nacelles could be too weak to make their own warp field but could amplify the larger ship's field.

Definitely do some of timo's "warbird" alterations. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
Well, first I have to finish the sideview. I've just updated the wings, and I'll put the bird-like pattern back on next.

-

Nice rendering, but there are a few problems with the proportions. I did a rendering of the same ship a while back and spent a lot of time extracting details proportions for the photographs. First, the ship isn't that fat...it's much longer relative to its diameter. Second, the engines don't protrude past the aft end of the hull. Looking at scanbs posted here I can see details I didn't see before that would make me revise/redo my drawing, but I think I got the general proportions right.

I once asked Greg Jein if he had better pictures of the model, but he didnn't. [Frown]

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MrNeutron:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Harry:
[qb] Well, first I have to finish the sideview. I've just updated the wings, and I'll put the bird-like pattern back on next.

-

Nice rendering, but there are a few problems with the proportions. I did a rendering of the same ship a while back and spent a lot of time extracting the proportions for the photographs. First, the ship isn't that fat...it's much longer relative to its diameter. Second, the engines don't protrude past the aft end of the hull. Looking at scans posted here I can see details I didn't see before that would make me revise/redo my drawing, but I think I got the general proportions right.

I once asked Greg Jein if he had better pictures of the model, but he didn't. [Frown]

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well.. I haven't really been working on this one recently, but it was never supposed to be an exact rendering of the photographs, but rather a ship from the same era.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps