Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » That old Romulan ship (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: That old Romulan ship
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure, even if they had used this design, it would have been jazzed up for TV.

Re: "Insurrection." My interpretation has always been that Picard is referencing the (near disasterous) alliance between the Romulans and the Federation during that time period, which let us remember was so close as to put the Romulan ambassador in the office of the president during crucial moments of foreign policy-making.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So what was Picard's line to Dougherty then? Hmm?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
So what was Picard's line to Dougherty then? Hmm?

Why don't you enlighten us w/the whole section of dialogue then, Hmmm? Kinda sounds like you already know exactly what was said. If you do, then kill the argument w/a transcript from the movie. I'd do it, but "Insurrection" is one of those Trek movies that didn't interest me enough to buy - and I'm a die-hard Trek fan.
Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PICARD
Our partners are nothing more than petty thugs.

DOUGHERTY (dismissing that)
On Earth, petroleum once turned petty thugs into world leaders. Warp drive transformed a bunch of Romulan thugs into an empire. We can handle the Son'a, I'm not worried about that...

PICARD
Someone probably said the same thing about the Romulans a century ago.

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard the same accusation made by others before that AndrewR uses and didn't remember there being an implication in that scene that the Romulan's only acquired Warp Drive Technology around the time of Kirk. Now that I see it written out, I guess I can see how the implication can be misconstrued by others - if the try really hard.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thankyou, Phoenix.

And Griffworks - get off your high horse - you've arrived here from TrekBBS and have been nothing but a bitch. Chill OUT!

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

quote:
Originally posted by Griffworks:
I've heard the same accusation made by others before that AndrewR uses and didn't remember there being an implication in that scene that the Romulan's only acquired Warp Drive Technology around the time of Kirk. Now that I see it written out, I guess I can see how the implication can be misconstrued by others - if the try really hard.

Fuck Griffworks - you were WRONG - but you still have to be right? I mean WTF?

It's not Shakespeare y'know.

It's not ambiguous.

*rolls eyes*

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Griffworks
Member # 1014

What was that advice you gave me again...?

Oh, yes: Chill Out.

[Roll Eyes]

Hypocrit.

BTW, I didn't arrive here from Trek BBS. I actually skimmed thru Flare before hitting Trek BBS and joined both about the same time. Not that it should really matter, tho. You were still reading in to the statement. Interesting that you don't seem to get all immature with anyone but me on that point, tho others made similar commentary. Maybe you just have an axe to grind for some reason...? Wouldn't be 'cause I caught you about that whole Colossus dialogue thing, would it? [Wink]

When I'm wrong, you won't catch me calling people petty names and throwing a tantrum about it, at least.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

hypocrit - e.

[Wink]

--------------------

Griffworks
Member # 1014

Yep. Got me there. I failed to hit the 'e', it would appear. What would I do w/o you...? [Razz]
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good god, who pissed in y'alls Cheerios? There's no need at all to turn a design thread into a train wreck. Geez.

Harry, excellent work on that ship. I can see how the wings could be a problem to draw, but you've done a great job on them. I really like the nacelles; they're quite cool. I can't wait to see other views.

As far that scene in Insurrection goes, the dialog seems to imply (to me, at least), that Picard meant the Romulans got warp drive a century ago. Obviously, I think Picard is wrong. Assuming Dougherty is correct in that warp drive was the catalyst for the birth of the Romulan Star Empire, then that development had to occur many centuries ago. The Romulans already appeared to be a vast empire in TOS's "Balance of Terror."

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If someone said "we can handle the Romulans" one hundred years before INS, he would be right, wouldn't he? We always could handle the Romulans, except perhaps for the illusive Tomed incident.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with you, Harry. Until the Romulans got their hands on all that Klingon technology, it appeared to be true. When the Enterprise went up against that Bird of Prey in "Balance of Power," it looked like it was a bit of an unfair fight. The plasma disruptors and the cloaking device were awe-inspiring, but Scotty derided the power that was "simple impulse." Plus, the only other weapons it was armed with were atomic missiles. Not that much of a threat against deflector sheilds, matter/antimatter power, phasers, and photon torpedos.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Griffworks
Member # 1014

I think that this article at Ex Astris Scientia summarizes my basic thinking where Romulans and Warp Drive are concerned: Warp Drive and Romulan History
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Y'now....looking at the pic from Chronology, I think the ship could be made to look romulan by making the cylinderical hull more of an oval shape (from the front view).
Not as much as the TNG warbird or anything so drastic: just a slight change in the X/Y axis.
Mabye tone the green down to what we saw in Enterprise as well. [Wink]

You ever think of making a TOS colony ship? That wouyld look nice with the tugs and transports I've seen rendered here.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps