Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » FJ ships ala Okazaki (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: FJ ships ala Okazaki
Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by darkwing_duck1:
I for one LOVE your change to the Scout/Destroyer. If you WERE to do more views of any of these, might I advocate for that one? it is a significantly different look than available anywhere else and I'd love to see it fleshed out into full orthos! [Smile]

Ravenstar Studios make a design that's fairly simlar to the above Hermes. It's called Federation Scout.

-

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's kind of like a one-nacelled Constellation. Pretty chunky looking!

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Masaki
Member # 1030

- posted      Profile for Masaki     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is my modification here... U.S.S. STAR UNION

Replaced to my 140m - Phase II saucer.
And added small rear sensor between the aft torp tubes, the phaser cannons or the tractor beam emitters.... below the shuttle bay.

How about this, Masao?

-

--------------------
"There are no three warp-engined or single warp-engined ships in Starfleet!".
(Gene Roddenberry)
Starship Class

Warped1701
Back from Vacation
Member # 40

- posted      Profile for Warped1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Masaki: I like the way that the larger saucer goes right along with the "bigger" feel of the Federation. That being said, the shuttlebay with a deflector/sensor/whatever you want to call it mounted underneath it looks...weird. I'd keep the rear mounted dish, and scratch the shuttlebay. It keeps with the feel of the original Federation design, but gets rid of the design elements I've disliked for years.

--------------------
Bender: Well I don't have anything else planned for today, let's get drunk!

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know, Masaki. As I said, I still want this ship to reflect TOS design elements. The new primary hull makes the ship look too sleek and modern. I think I'll just fatten the flat part of the primary hull a bit.

--------------------

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Masaki: flip the secondary hull around, and you're almost back to the original design [Wink]

I've been thinking. What about omitting the deflector dish altogether from the Hermes/Saladin? I think the current mini-dish spoils the original design a bit. Or perhaps some sort of deflector on the saucer?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

I fattened up the primary hull some more. USS Federation is now offiically a pig.
 -

--------------------

Masaki
Member # 1030

- posted      Profile for Masaki     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Masao:
I don't know, Masaki. As I said, I still want this ship to reflect TOS design elements. The new primary hull makes the ship look too sleek and modern. I think I'll just fatten the flat part of the primary hull a bit.

I also fattened up the primary hull, the lower half is upside-downed Constitution's upper half.

And I added the small fore deflector and the tractor beam emitter (starboard side). I also reduced the rear sensor.

I think this ship has TOS design elements.

U.S.S. AFFILIATION

--------------------
"There are no three warp-engined or single warp-engined ships in Starfleet!".
(Gene Roddenberry)
Starship Class

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Masao, I love that new saucer configuration! [Smile]

One suggestion... why not make the saucer diameter a little bigger to match the size of the TMP saucer? A bigger diameter hull would offset the increased thickness a little bit, while not make it quite so ugly.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Masaki,

That primary hull design of having a "B/C" deck on the bottom is very close to what I've considered for a TOS Movie Era cousin to the Federation DN line. My thinking was to make a DN with a shuttlebay in that "VIP Lounge" area so that in case of saucer separation, there's a small shuttlebay on the "lifeboat" portion. I had also considered something similar for a dual-nacelled scout design. Not terribly original on my part, but something I think I'd like to do for a model.

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Masao: Actually, the Federation with a standard bridge module is looking pretty good to me now. I like the latest update but perhaps a slightly larger diameter would make it look a little less, well, fat?

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Admiral, the Tellarites have been messing with our schematics again!"

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

I finally opened up my copy of the SFTM to get a look at the original schematics. I had been working from another fan interpretation at Starship Schematics Database (shame!). Anyway, the specs provided say that the primary hull of Federation is 140 m in diameter versus 127 for Constitution, so it looks as if I will be increasing the diameter of the primary hull by 10%. I'll post an update soon.

Masaki: I don't think that double bridge module is going to work. I wanted to get away from the top and bottom symmetry of the original FJ design, but the double bridge actually brings my design closer!

Also, those small dishes beside the man deflector dish probably won't work because the pieces now beside the main deflector are very flat.

--------------------

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

http://lobotomy.pleh.net/~flareupload/uploads/232/Federation3.jpg
I widened the top mound and the central disc 10%, which would increase primary hull diameter from 127 m to 140, as specified by FJ.
Notice that the central disc in the original is actually quite thin, the same as in Constitution.

--------------------

Sarvek
Member # 910

- posted      Profile for Sarvek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Masao, you might want to look at the end of the book where it talks about the parts of the nacelle. Honestly, it does not matter where the Control Reactor and Flux Chillers are in relation to the other nacelles, but it is nice to a have a balanced look and you have that. I would have never thought of orienting those external machinery that way.

Talk about "thinking outside the box". Good job I always like new ways of looking a something that could never be oriented that way. I also believe that starhipschemtics also has the version of the Federation with the Control Reactor/Flux Chiller assembly pointed outward on the top nacelle. [Wink]

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps