Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Designing the USS Titan (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Designing the USS Titan
Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, I know a lot of you would want the Titan to be an established class -- like a Steamrunner, Galaxy, etc etc.... but no! Riker left the Enterprise for something special. The new USS Titan NX-80291 prototype!

-

Im obviously not done, but im planning on giving it some good detail and a side and front view.

What do you think the titan would look like? post your ideas or designs here!

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I guess I, for one, don't think it will be a monster ship like that. Yes... the name would tend to imply that it's a large vessel, comparitivly, but I don't think Starfleet has anything yet that dwarfs the Sovereign and Galaxy classes.

I'm all for the Titan being something we haven't seen yet, but I'm guessing it's something more along the lines of an Intrepid. The Titan's first assignment under Riker was to go to Romulus and help establish diplomatic ties, right? Maybe it's the fact that the Bellerophon went to Romulus... but I just see Riker in an Intrepid style ship. New and sleek... but not an uberShip or anything.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Number one, EW.

Number two, you don't give newly-commissioned prototypes to newly-frocked command officers.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I think the design has potential. But yeah, too big.

Based purely on the necessities of the plot, I highly doubt that the Titan would be larger than a Sovereign class ship if it were new. It wouldn't do to have the main ship eclipsed by a secondary craft - this is why in TNG, and more importantly VOY and ENT the guest ships are ALWAYS smaller than the "hero" vessel. The only time the opposite is true is if the plot specifically demands it - case in point, the "new hotness" Excelsior replacing the "old & busted" Constitution class. Given that Berman tends to avoid this notion in his work, it ain't gonna happen.

I envision a new ship roughly the same volume of the E-E, but arranged differently to make it look smaller and unmistakeably not Picard's ship. If Riker would get a Galaxy, that would be a different story, as it is widely accepted that the Sovereign is the "new hotness"... But that's for the other thread.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Aban.
Tge design itself is... unusual... unusual enough to actually work [Big Grin] , but it's way too big.
There are practical limitations, for one thing: Where is this thing going to be build? It would require a even bigger drydock than that seen in Nemesis. Starfleet is not about making every new ship bigger than before...

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The number on the ship is 80291. The label is 80921.

DISCREPANCY!

Wes
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Updated with a resized version.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't say I dig this one: it's a bit too organic looking for my tastes and the nacelles look too Soverign-ish.

Mabye think along the design shapes of previous classes and update it from there.

I would'nt mind a updae of an older design....just not a Akira-Soverign mutt like so many out there. [Wink]
(not that yours is, mind you)

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
It wouldn't do to have the main ship eclipsed by a secondary craft - this is why in TNG, and more importantly VOY and ENT the guest ships are ALWAYS smaller than the "hero" vessel.

I think the idea is that the Titan would now *be* the new main/hero vessel.

The days of Picard and the Enterprise are over. It's time for a cast made up of Riker, Troi, a handful of characters from DS9 and VGR, and some new & young faces to take center stage...

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Wes
Member # 212

quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
It wouldn't do to have the main ship eclipsed by a secondary craft - this is why in TNG, and more importantly VOY and ENT the guest ships are ALWAYS smaller than the "hero" vessel.

I think the idea is that the Titan would now *be* the new main/hero vessel.

The days of Picard and the Enterprise are over. It's time for a cast made up of Riker, Troi, a handful of characters from DS9 and VGR, and some new & young faces to take center stage...

-MMoM [Big Grin]

Well, I wasnt going to explain my reasoning, but yes. This is exactly what I was thinking.

As for Organicly-shapped ships... why not? We know thats where the future is heading, why not make one of the last designs of the 24th century more organic shapped. Eventually ships end up looking like the Wells-Class, you know.

Also, the nacelles are meant to be Sovy-like.

Its really takeing elements from the Akira, Prometheus, Sovereign, Nebula, and Steamrunner. All of which are my favorite TNG-era designs.

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My expectations of the Titan, are more of a big brother to the Defiant. More functional then graceful. More of a combat/patrol vessel, then a long range explorer. The Soverign class represents the Federation at it's pinnacle, while the proposed future (the Titan's setting, is of a collapsing Federation.

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
(the Titan's setting, is of a collapsing Federation. [/QB]
That was one of those terrible rumors floating arounf during Nemesis' shooting and has zero basis in fact.
It's also one of the worst ideas ever.
Ever.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Triton
Member # 1043

- posted      Profile for Triton         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess I am in the minority here, but I very much like the design. Deanna was going to serve on the Titan as ships' counsellor, so I am thinking that the ship is a large explorer class of some kind. Something a lot bigger than an Intrepid-class.

My inclination has always been a refitted Nebula-class, but seeing a new explorer design works for me as well. It would be sad if Riker left the cuting edge Sovereign-class Enterprise, to command an older explorer class of his own.

Regarding Riker's ability to command a new class of starship, I would say that he is about ten years overdue for a captaincy and I don't see how this ship would present him with new challenges he couldn't handle or situations he hadn't faced already on his previous ships.

He isn't Captain John Harriman for goodness sake, who should have been relieved immediately after returning to spacedock. [Wink] How such an incompetent officer could become a captain of starship is beyond me. I would expect such incompetence from an ensign who was forced into the command chair by circumstance, not an officer who was promoted through the ranks.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

A refitted Nebula would be great: I have made a few Nebula variants and I really love that darn ship!
Would you rather see something like the Southerland or the version with all the Galaxy windows?
I prefer more windows than the Southerland but far less that the Galaxy's saucer.

...and it's a good thing to beef up the impulse engines on those ships too!

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sutherland [Big Grin]

I still think an Ambassador or New Orleans or Galaxy or their equivalent would be fitting for him. Nebula's remind me of hatchbacks...like the oversized Chevettes of Starfleet.

Even if they were to go for a totally new design, say, in the vein of a Nova, it needs to be at least the size of an Ambassador.

~Long live the Ambassador!!~

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps