Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Olympic Class (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Olympic Class
The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeh I thought it was fitting. Not only was the real HMHS Britannic of the Olympic Class of ocean liners (sister to Titanic), it served as a Hospital ship during WWI, (before being sunk in the Med by a German U-Boat).

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I named one of my Olympics the Carpathia, after the ship who came to the rescue of the few Titanic survivors. More other Olympics are the Caduceus and the Familia.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I think Bill George from ILM made the USS Pasteur. It just so happens that when the six foot Enterprise-D was going through a retrofit for Generations while AGT was being filmed.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great work, the lighter hull colour makes all the difference!

You're defiantly getting better at making decals, the spacing is allot tighter than usual.

The only criticism I would make however is that it looks like some of the windows and hatches on the secondary hull come a little too close to the edge of the ventral undercut.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually the model of the Pasteur has quite protruded lifeboats - so I wouldn't worry about that.

The model was designed and built by Greg Jein in his spare time.

VERY nice Red - I think this might be your best yet.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There seems to be some blue in places - like around the bridge area - see in this pic:

http://lobotomy.pleh.net/~flareupload/uploads/44/o09.jpg

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
The model was designed and built by Greg Jein in his spare time.

By Bill George, actually. [Wink]
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bill George built the Pasteur as a "labor of love", a homage to the earliest sketches of the original Enterprise by Matt Jefferies.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

- posted      Profile for Axeman 3D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thats as maybe, but what we have here is a fine model of a fugly ship. I suppose it's a great design for what is basically a flying hospital, but it's not the sleekest or most graceful option. I don't know what you guys see in it, it's a TNG'd version of an ancient design. Blech. Good model though.

--------------------
www.kennyscrap.com - where I download crap I make.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

The olympic class is a perfect and original ship. It's graceful and most of all a believeable ship. I can picture flying into one of it's shuttle bays and walking its many decks.

I reckon it's not just a hospital ship - it's just that we've only seen it as hospital ship. Who knows - 25 years post AGT... they might have made the olderships the hospital ships.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great job, Red!
Really really nice.
Pic 6 is just bueatiful.

I love the Olympic class!
It lends itself to lots of variants and uses....
just none of them military.
That's why it's not too popular. [Big Grin]

My variant:
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=1227830&uid=657989

It occurs to me that (with TNG's medical tech) it'd take a major disaster to ever use a Olympic to it's full capacity.
The ship must have hundreds of beds...at least!

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A good and very interesting variant there Jason. Most cool. I have to say though I do like the Olympic. I would say it was particularly original, rather than a rehash of an old design. I mean, isn't virtually every other ship a rehash and rearrangement of the Connie..?

Many thanks for the positive comments:

Reverend: Believe it if you can, all decals are modelled! right down to the Starfleet Medical logo. It was easier in this instance to get a finer precision in matching it to the physical model. Mapping images across a sphere isn't the simplest thing, besides, drawing the logo for instance in Photoshop would've been my idea of a nightmare. I see that some of the windows appear to be close to the edge in places but the shadow along the rather severe smoothing angle makes it deceptive.

AndrewR: Thanks for the picture, I didn't have that one as reference. It would have been very useful, and still will be as I refine the details.

Kenny: cheers. 'Fugly' it might be to some, but I rarely subscribe to the purely aesthetic option. This design has tons of character.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

The ASDB

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

A few slight amendments here, including increased smoothing bias in the upper secondary hull unit, further hull and sphere detailing (not really observable in this image), and some texture refinements.

-

--------------------

The ASDB

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

I have about 14 pictures of the Olympic class... I could upload them to Flare or something... Some of them ARE fuzzy.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Admiral:
Kenny: cheers. 'Fugly' it might be to some, but I rarely subscribe to the purely aesthetic option. This design has tons of character.

I agree.
Now go build us a nice Elkins! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps