Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » USS Excalibur bridge plan (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: USS Excalibur bridge plan
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In that hallway between the obs deck and the bridge... or the turbolift [Smile]

Subsequently most of the action takes place on the Bridge! [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
for the fun part, let's match this bridge with the shape of the bridge module on the Excalibur studio model...

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
grr..
capped
Member # 709

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/ambassador/yamaguchi-bridge.jpg

this picture is from when the model was in the later, Yamaguchi configuration.. the only modification made to the upper tower and bridge were the rearranging of lifeboat hatches, so it doesnt have an impact on this what modification it is

(BTW, was the Excalibur fimed in ENT-C modification or was it already modified like the Zhukov/Yamaguchi appearances?.. i know battle damage was removed, but i dont know how many of the new features [extra shuttlebay, nacelle caps, etc..] were in place when the model was shot as Excalibur)

anywho, the closest observation lounge windows look like they are way down deck 2 aft, although there are (at least on many fan illustrations) several round portholes on the front of the bridge module itself.. this also isnt the 'wide and busy' style of bridge like the Galaxy, its a standard dome without outlines for all the ready rooms and toilets and lounges like the E-D, maybe we should assume these are all deck 2?

unless we disregard the details of the model, which wasnt visible much as Excalibur onscreen, and assume the Exc. is a further variant based on how Peter David devised it. or, a likely possibility, the bridge module was rebuilt or replaced after the Borg battle at Earth, the damage caused when Captain Korsmo was killed.. (perhaps it didnt have Voyager style command chairs originally)..

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Excalibur was the Zhukov/Yamaguchi variant and was even labeled as the Excalibur NCC-26517. Stock footage from "YE" of the E-C was used when the Excalibur was meeting with the E-D.

And I think the variant model was actually a different filming model than the E-C model.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another slight detail change is that there are two large transporter emiters where those mentioned lifeboats were removed.
THe bridge stayed the same as the "C".
hile I really love the bridge schematic in progress, if we superimpose the circular shape of the Amby's bridge over it, we get a LOT of (so far) unused space.
I suggest adding a staircase down to the next deck, emergency communications gear, a bathroom or two and a transporter room.

Just to keep in the theme (and to show off!), here's my Ambassador class USS Posedion.
(It's below my new Akira class and three Sabres [Big Grin] )
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=1227830&uid=657989&members=1

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could the station at the front of the bridge be for controling the view screen? The first comic picture shows someone giving briefing like data off the main screen, and if they were up there it would be easier to control the screen from there than going to another console
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Possible - but it'd be a unique console among other observed ships. While I'm sure it'd be capable of being configured to do so, I don't see it happening.

Likewise, while Timo's an advocate of it being a helm or other forward console, I just don't really see it happening, as it's a little too wierd for ships of that time. Personally, I see it simply as an auxilliary display console of the same type we see on the Defiant and other ships on either side of the screen - full of blinky lights and displays but no crewman at it. Heck, it might even be where those moving lights are under every OTHER viewsreen are...

And the new plan rocks on. My suggestions would be to put the turbolift that opens into the conference room into an alcove of some sort rather than have it open directly into the room, and to possibly allow for the portside lifts to cross from one to the other (allowing one to act as a backup for the other as seen on E-D et. al.).

The Excalibur bridge is a decent "kitbash" of existing bridge designs and ideas, though I think they didn't put too much thought into ergonomics. As it stands, the two command seats have a very poor view of the main screen, and as they're on the same level as the con/ops consoles they have an even WORSE view than Sisko did on the Defiant! They should have put the forward consoles on the lowest level rather than elevate them, and put the command seats on another step up. The only reason the forward consoles were on a step up in the first place was to facilitate camera shots and to run power cabling to the displays.

Also, the aft doors are not as tall as the ones in front, being shortened by the angled wall behind. The designer should have put an alcove of some sort in there to compensate - as it stands, some people will have to duck to enter from the aft quarters, and the turbolift door aft will not match up with the doors on the lift cars themselves!

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
U.S.S. Excalibur bridge, take three [Smile]
 -

Yes, 13 is a ready room. The truth is, I have no idea about how big or small it should be - I scaled it against size of consoles and chairs as best as I could.

My guess is that it seems large because bridge itself is smaller [Big Grin]

As you can see, I tried to incorporate most of the wishes. [Smile]

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's cool, but now it really doesnt match the exterior at all!
You should follow the curve of the briefing room and make the ready room match.

The rest of the circular bridge could be backup life-support, a ladder or starwell down, sensor equipment, Shelby's hairspray supply and batteries for emergency power.

...and another bathroom!
Nobody wants have to wait to pee during a crisis situation! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well done!

Although many of the doors don't ahve enough room to retract into their walls. [Wink]

Mark

--------------------

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't there a similarly impossible door in Voyager's sickbay too? Or was that just in some videogame?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

capped
Member # 709

that ended up happening in the TNG engineering set, when they finally decided that one of the useless doors to the left and right of the pool-table actually led to a jefferies tube junction, which radiated out in several directions, even though the bulkhead the door on the engineering side is cut off from surrounding areas by the side entry corridor and the power transfer conduits and warp core assembly.

it was a damn good use of stock sets though...

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't think there was anything wrong with the door to the Jeffries tubes seen on the right if you are looking at the warp core.

If I remember correctly... you had to go up at least 2 or three decks before you came to a junction... as seen in "Lessons" In that beautiful moment where Nella and Jean-Luc are playing music together and Data and Geordi listen.

The Door on the left - I don't think was see to contain a Jeffries tube... I do remember it being an entrance or something in the earlier seasons.

And yes there was an 'impossible' door in Voyager's sickbay... opposite the Doctor's office.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

The "impossible" tube was seen once in the TNG episode with those cute li'l exocomps. Data was playing with them, and they were maneuvering a HECK of a long way down the tube, apparently in a straight line.

The Jefferies tube set entrance itself replaced a turbolift door somewhere in the fifth or sixth seasons, IIRC. I remember both doors being used as turbolifts at some point before then.

Mark

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps