Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » ENT: Iceland-class revised (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: ENT: Iceland-class revised
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Since the classes and names of those ships would have been entirely irrelevant to the story, what would have been the point in coming up with that sort of information?"

Ummm... for the same reason they gave the Wolf359 ships names. Comments like that really piss me off. The point is, it makes the fans giz their pants. That's all. We all know that. So let's make the fans feel like dorks for asking by printing some retard answer.

Okuda and crew were fans of what they were doing and it showed in how they went about it. Don't tell me there's no point.

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe Okuda might give them names sometime in the future.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hopefully.

I mean... ok... this is still getting me wriled. The show is about the early adventures of humanity into space and the starships are very obviously the means by which they're doing that. They've already shown that the history of the technology is important as it was the whole point of the NX-01. Now, I'm not saying they have to be Tolkien and come up with deck plans and construction histories for ships we only hear mention of in the background over the com... but don't TELL me there's no point in being curious about the history of this stuff.

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First of all, don't shoot the messenger. [Big Grin]

Anyway, I agree with you, and I recall reading what I quoted above and thought it was such bullshit. But then again, I would rather have them spend an extra hour tweaking a mediocre script rather than coming up with names to all the ships we've ever viewed - if that is truely the case.

The other thing in comparing the Wolf 359 ships with the Earth ships is that the 359 ships were physical models...the latter are CGI (right?), that could have something to do with it too.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Oh, I'm mad at them, not you [Smile]

And you would think that a physical model would be harder to redress and add detail to than a CGI ship.

It also wouldn't seem that it would be that hard to come up with these details. We know that Enterprise is NX Class... so... ummm... the ones before it are probably going to be something similar, yes?

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only way I could see it happening is if Enterprise is for some reason 'blind' and their sensors pick up an incoming ship and they say something like "its configuration identifies it as an NU class, USS Crapshoot". But that only happened a handful of times in all the past series...namely, the Bozeman, the Valiant, the Enterprise, the Enterprise-C, the Enterprise-E, etc.

So they have been consistant about never readily identified classes "by name", and there are still a few that have not been identified (Centaur). Those that have been were in some behind the scenes document or at the least, long after the fact.

Think about "Miranda", there is still a small crazy pocket of fools who think the Miranda is an Avenger, you'd think in TPTB cared they would have straightened that out a long time ago.

Besides, right now, I think they are more worried about saving the ass of their series than naming a few ships. (Don't get me wrong, I want to see these puppies named too!) [Wink]

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, our best hope is still Okuda.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd gladly accept a name that Okuda tells us was given to the design(s) behind the scenes. But maybe there is really none, or just a "funny" name like Alka-selsior.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

japol
Member # 1149

- posted      Profile for japol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seems to me that other than Enterprise and Shenandoah a bunch of the Starfleet ship names are from the early American space program.

ie:
Intrepid (Apollo 12 Lunar Module)
Columbia aka NX-02 (Apollo 11 Command Module, Space Shuttle)

Actually, other than it being a pretty name, Shenandoah was one of the US Navy's first commissioned airships when they were playing with those. Her sister ship was the Akron... which I thought sounded cool too, though not as pretty.

So when some folks are calling this design Challenger-class it makes some sense to me (Space Shuttle & Apollo 17 LEM)... Iceland is cute, but somehow doesn't feel right. But I've no problem with people using the name for clarification. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I slit the sheet, the sheet I slit, and on the slitted sheet I sit.

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

Intrepid: American warships
Saratoga: American warships
Enterprise: American and British warships
Shenandoah: American airship
Columbia: Alternate name for America

Your theory doesn't really work.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Columbia and Shenandoah could also indicate a "geography" theme, where Iceland would fit just fine... Akron, too, is a location - in Ohio.

Akron (ZRS-4) was actually sister to the airship-fightercarrier Macon (ZRS-5); the Shenandoah (ZR-1) was a rather different design.Rounding out the list of rigid airship names would be Los Angeles (ZR-3). I think there never was a ship designated ZR-2...

Timo Saloniemi

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you think the design of the new ships was ment to be an in-joke for those who complained about the Enterprise looking like an Akira-class ship? Because I think this ship looks more like the Saber than the Norway - apart from the arrow-head saucer there isn't anything that looks Norwayish.

Does anyone have contact with the guys who are in charge of the effects? Maybe they can tell us more (AFAIR Eden isn't in charge of the effects any more. Some other company took over after season two.)

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

I remember reading somewhere after the ships were first seen that they were little more than shapes put together and textured. I think that's probably a simplification, but I don't think they had time to put the "in-joke" factor into them.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reguards the Richard Arnold statement - seeing as they are NOT making 26 episodes for season 3 - they could have used their 'time' to come up with names for those ships. [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

machf
Member # 1233

- posted      Profile for machf         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
Columbia and Shenandoah could also indicate a "geography" theme, where Iceland would fit just fine... Akron, too, is a location - in Ohio.

Akron (ZRS-4) was actually sister to the airship-fightercarrier Macon (ZRS-5); the Shenandoah (ZR-1) was a rather different design.Rounding out the list of rigid airship names would be Los Angeles (ZR-3). I think there never was a ship designated ZR-2...

Timo Saloniemi

Of course, the Los Angeles was originally LZ-126, which could link it to LZ-127 (Graf Zeppelin), LZ-129 (Hindenburg), and LZ-130 (Graf Zeppelin II).

(Curious, how there alway seems to be a "gap" in the numbering of rigid airships...)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps