Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » ENT: Iceland-class revised (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: ENT: Iceland-class revised
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice, Irishman! One thing that bugs me though is the lower hemisphere (not the sensor dome, but the part of the hull it's attached to). I didn't think it was that prominent. Are there any decent screencaps of the bottom? Personally, I would think that it wouldn't be sticking out from the rest of hull as much since the hull looks like it is a lifting body.

B.J.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
MMoM: I remember that you made it up, and I'm fine with the designation. I think it's a cool name for the ship. Which really irritates me, because whoever's in charge of designing these ships should've given them names and registries. I don't understand why that was so hard to do.

"OK... the Enterprise is NX Class... Let's make this one NU-Class in case we want to show the Enterprise's immediate predecessor someday. Oh, and let's actually name the ship while we're at it." Boom. Done. Not hard at all.

I, Sir, most certainly DID NOT make that up. I'm no fan of these unofficial nicknames that seem to be all the rage 'round here, and I agree with you whole-heartedly on the idea that they ought to give more ship information on the show. [Embarrassed]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait... what did I say now?

*re-reads*

OK... sorry... I was remembering that you were correct about it being a name that got made up here. Didn't mean to say you specifically came up with it. I don't remember who did, but I do remember the thread.

Irishman
Member # 1188

- posted      Profile for Irishman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guys,

Working on some small changes, and a couple big ones, just to present for asthetic choices, and the ventral view. I'm going to put an NX-01 style shuttle launch bay right behind the lower hemisphere, and work out the overall thickness issues using deck heights as a guide. (3 m deck height, overall 120 m length)

--------------------
This is just fun...it's not life...keep this in mind and we'll all enjoy it much more

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A launch bay would be cool. Maybe it should only have two doors instead of four since it's supposed to be older and probably smaller.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Irishman
Member # 1188

- posted      Profile for Irishman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aban, Yes, smaller, probably a crew of 30 or less. Yet, it has no transporter, unlike the NX-01. So, shuttlepods would be their only mode of mass transport.

Two? Three? Four?

--------------------
This is just fun...it's not life...keep this in mind and we'll all enjoy it much more

newark
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for newark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think they will give names or registries to these ships. When we did see a model of one of these ships, I think the Intrepid,from the front at close viewing, the ship had no name or registry. This would have been a good time to put such information on the ship.
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Yes, it would have. But they didn't, because why bother with little details that the fans would absolutely love?
Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could have been pressed for time the first time they used the model. If they model their markings onto the hull rather than textureing them, it can cause issues which take time to repair
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Confused] So was "Iceland" mentioned in any way in a script or behind the scenes?

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

No. I think it got its start because someone compared it to the Norway... Doth I remember correctly fellows?
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's what I believe happened.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Addendum: Credit goes to Lee for coming up with the name! [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sshhh! If they find out it was my idea, they'll never go for it! 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From STAR TREK COMMUNICATOR - FEB/MAR '04 - Page 71:
quote:

Q. "In the Enterprise episode "The Expanse," what were the three classes of the ships that came to the aid of the Enterprise when she was fighting the Klingons, and what were the ships' names?"

A. "The writers on the show do not have the time to fill in the blanks on the various series' history and technology. Would that they could, as the show would be far more consistent, but it would be impossible to do and write 26 scripts a year. Since the classes and names of those ships would have been entirely irrelevant to the story, what would have been the point in coming up with that sort of information?"

As taken from Richard Arnold: a fan of Star Trek from the beginning, assisted Gene Roddenberry for 15 years at his Paramount offices and still makes his living as an expert on the franchise.... blah blah...and that is why, it is supposedly felt that those ships were not given designations. The script didn't call for it.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps