Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » TOS Bridges ... (build your ...) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: TOS Bridges ... (build your ...)
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd distract Aban, but I'm going to be sitting right next to him at the bridge constructors anonymous meetings we'll be compelled to attend.

-
This is the bridge of an exploratory vessel, probably comparable to the Constitution-class. Starting at left dead-center and moving clockwise: main viewer, backup computer processors and linkups, computer systems, science, corridor entrance, environmental systems, engineering, auxiliary systems, turbolift, communications, internal security, tactical, and bridge utilities access. In the outer ring, starting with the backup computer processors and linkups room and moving clockwise: crew head, entrance corridor ramp from deck 2, turbolift cab, and bridge utility systems.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll call it a day after this one; I'll go find something else fun and enjoyable to obsess over while neglecting everyone and everything around me.

-

I got inspiration for this one from the TNG technical manual (the section where it talks about the Galaxy shakedown cruise and, in particular, the special bridge module it used). I figure most of Starfleet's ships of that era will feature a round bridge with uniform ports to plug them into on the ship. For shakedown cruises, they use this special module that can be ejected from the ship during an emergency and function as a large escape pod.

The concept I have for it is that the module can be split apart and the pieces inside can be shuffled around to fit the exact footprint of the ship ready for testing. I figure the upper dome of the module contains the communications array and sensors, a small disc under the module would have the thruster assemblies, and the middle part are a series of wedges wrapping around the center command area. For instance, if another class of ship has the turbolift at 72 degrees instead of 0 degrees, then the turbolift wedge can be pulled out, the three smaller wedges next to it can be slid over, and the turbolift wedge reinserted in the new position. In the case of multiple turbolifts, I'd say only one tube is connected to the module while the other(s) would be blocked off at the deck below. Currently, it is in the standard Constitution-class configuration.

In the outer ring around the bridge are life support equipment (waste reclamation, atmospheric processing, gravity, etc.), water tanks, deuterium tanks, power generators, communications equipment, and computer processors. The largest space there (the wedge consisting of the main viewer and a small station) is a storage locker for emergency spacesuits, meal rations, repair equipment, and a bathroom (behind the interior door). In the habitable portion of the module, starting at top dead-center and moving clockwise, we have: the turbolift, a linkup systems monitor, propulsion systems, power systems, auxiliary systems, environmental systems, door to the storage room/head, main viewer, damage control, internal security, offensive systems, defensive systems, sensory systems, computer systems, communications, mission operations, and the master situation/systems display. In the middle, as usual, are helm, navigation, and the command chair.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Captain Serek
Member # 1038

- posted      Profile for Captain Serek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, bridge constructor abuse is a bad thing, it can lead to far worse things. I do not know what those things are, but one's imagination is useful in this case. I guess Cmdr tw made this shockwave app in response to some TOS bridges I had him do for me for my website. I will take full responsibility for this action and recieve whatever punishment I deserve.

--------------------
I've come a long way for the power of Genesis, and what do I find? A Square Pegs reject, another actress playing Saavik, and Leonard Nimoy's stand-in.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if Andrew can TOSify the E-D bridge, I can do the same to the Defiant bridge...

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

:: grabs Captain Serek, covers him in honey, ties him to a bench, and waits for the ants ::

-

Okay, so I lied about the last one being my final bridge for the night. However, I swear that this one will be. Anyway, this is the bridge of a planetary survey vessel. Starting from left dead-center and moving clockwise: main viewer, turbolift, engineering, starboard corridor entrance, geology one, geology two, mineralogy, atmospheric sciences, hydrology, cartography/geography, ecology one, ecology two, port corridor entrance, communications, and turbolift. The scientific disciplines assigned to each of the aft stations can be changed depending on the mission requirements. The center of the bridge contains the helm, navigation, and command chair, of course. In the outer ring, starting from left dead-center and moving clockwise: equipment bay, crew head, starboard corridor, ladder to upper sensor dome, ladder to lower decks, port corridor, and on-duty breakroom.

--------------------

Captain Serek
Member # 1038

- posted      Profile for Captain Serek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, I got off relatively easy. Nice bridges guys, very creative. One might want to consider some what ifs? As in if Matt Jeffires and company thought to do different designs for the Exeter, Lexington and Defiant bridges, what would they look like? Would there be subtle changes or more drastic ones as seen in this creative TOS bridge thread. Just food for thought, buffet to the left.

--------------------
I've come a long way for the power of Genesis, and what do I find? A Square Pegs reject, another actress playing Saavik, and Leonard Nimoy's stand-in.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

To be honest, I bet the guest bridges wouldn't look that much different from the Enterprise's bridge. I think we'd see variation along the lines of rearranged wedges (with maybe a couple new ones) as we saw with the Reliant, Grissom, and Saratoga in the TOS movies. There might be a repositioning of the turbolift or additional turbolift, but the footprint would likely remain round and as close to the original bridge setup as possible. Matt Jefferies strikes me as someone would be really mindful of the limitations on the set.

That's not a knock against anyone's designs in this thread. I really like what I've seen so far, and they'll probably give me ideas for additional bridge designs if my willpower fails me tomorrow.

--------------------

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine, with a little help from Photoshop

-

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
I'm addicted to this thing:

-

The platforms where the command 'centre' is - are there sharks with laser guns on their "frickin" heads under those platforms? [Smile]

Or is that where the cetacean crewmembers come to hand the Captain a PADD? [Smile]

I too am addicted.

Another I did last night:

-

Extra large viewscreen (or just three of them) around the sides are steps up to a mezzanine level behind the normal-level duty stations. No Chairs. Central command area steps down. Three ladders behind viewscreens for emergency exit.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmmm... for a Whale or Xindi Aquatic captain... [Smile]

-

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

And another!

This time a TOSified Voyager bridge! [Smile]

-

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No fair using Photoshop!

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Captain Serek
Member # 1038

Photoshop enhancements, very cool, TOSifying the bridges we know and love is nice. True, we have never seen a Xindi Aquatic captain of a starship, but that does not say that one does not exist. As far as padds and the like, I am sure it could be downloaded to a special screen in the tank so the captain can do his business.

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok... last one. I swear.

Minor photoshoping for the Mission Briefing console:

-

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, this captain's got a big head. [Smile]

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps