Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Copyright infringment...maybe? (Page 5)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Copyright infringment...maybe?
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pointing to the right for me. No idea why, just habit I suppose. Mind you ships/planes that point left give me the odd impression that they're moving away from my eye somehow. Which makes no sense at all I know, it's just an impression.
Insidentally I'm right handed and draw from the top right to the middle, then from the bottom left to the middle.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not strange, Rev. I read once that the convention in cartoons and comics is that leftward motion is backwards and rightward motion is forward, since in Western countries we read from left to right.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Wee Bairns
Member # 1324

- posted      Profile for Wee Bairns     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't honestly say what made me choose to have the ships facing to the right, but it does bring up the issue of gangways or other features being 'reversed' in a few of my tracings. Fortunately, the vast majority of Trek vessels are pretty much symmetrical, so it isn't a problem for most.

--------------------
Visit the Clive Cussler Forum at http://clivecusslerforum.com/

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TOS and TOS Movie era ships had one gangway hatch, on the port side. Hence the term "port" - its the side you dock at port with.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And starboard, obviously, is the side that movie stars use to get on board the ship, when they don't want to face the paparazzi hiding out on the port side.

The TMP enterprise docking hatch is one of the VERY rare instances of a non-symmetrical feature. Even NX-01 had coking ports on both sides, and used them both (though the starboard one got used more frequently - probably because of the larger nubmer of name-brand actors that were guesting).

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another reason for the right facing preference of some is that the Star Trek Encylopedia does is that way. (I think)

On the hand, the Matt Jeffries blueprints in the old "Making of Star Trek" and Franz Josephs in "The Starfleet Technical Manual" had them facing left. I think that's how I started drawing them that way.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can we see MORE of these blue and white ships? Maybe a large table of them?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Wee Bairns
Member # 1324

- posted      Profile for Wee Bairns     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are a few more images, some that didn't appear in the book because they are civilian or didn't have 'normal' registration numbers....

The Aakenn class freighter...
 -

The Reverend's design for the Antares..(wouldn't it be great if the remastered TOS used the Concordance as an insperation?
 -

The Bonaventure...
 -

One of fandom's designs for the Kobayashi Maru...
 -

The MacPhearson class...
 -

Masao's Predator...
 -

Last Unicorn Games' design for the Rigel...
 -

And the Soyuz, which illustrates the point of my right-facing ships and the docking hatches being incorrect...
 -

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you have more modern ships done in this way?? Like the Voyager or the Relativity?

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

One other thing - some TOS ships have more 'detail' the others - like the Bonaventure compared to the Antares - on the latter you include the gridlines on the saucer. Makes a few of the 'TOS' ships look a little less... complex.

I like the ships done like this - reminds me of the TNG Technical Manual.

--------------------

Wee Bairns
Member # 1324

I certainly see where you're coming from about the detai in some of the vessels.
And in some of the newer, larger vessels, I had to have a compromise between detail and size. Putting all the windows on the Sovvie, for instance, would be damn near impossible without at the size I was working with.

Some newer-era vessels. Sorry, no Relativity..

-
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I printed your book today- nice job there.
...though you completely forgot the warp grille (blue glowy part) of the Olympic's nacelle!

I'm curious to know what your reasoning was in useing some FASA designs (Chandly for example) and not others.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because the Chandley is cool and most of the others are ass...?

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
...though you completely forgot the warp grille (blue glowy part) of the Olympic's nacelle!

No he didn't. The Olympic's grills only face inwards, like the Connie, so they're not visible from the side.

Can't say as I approve of the Kobayash Maru design, but then I'm biased. [Wink]

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Wee Bairns
Member # 1324

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:

I'm curious to know what your reasoning was in useing some FASA designs (Chandly for example) and not others.

Yeah, Reverend sums up why the Olympic's nacelle looks so devoid of detail. It's really jarring in a monocrome schematic like that, too.
As for including some FASA ships and not others, it's hard to find really decent scans of some of the older designs and at the time I was 'ready' to print off my copy I was pretty much tired of the project and done with the drawings for the time being.
Mind you, since I got my copy printed off, I have about traced aound 50 more starships that didn't show up in the 'book', from various sources ranging from FASA to the JoAT and others...

--------------------

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps