Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Enterprise 3D model (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Enterprise 3D model
Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(drools)

[activates ulterior-motive cloaking device]

Ever read Starship Prototype?

Lots of ships there to model!

And I for one have always wanted to see them in the kind of detail you can do. I also love the TOS-era movie ships

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would hope you love those ships, Dave. You wrote the book! [Big Grin]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Fructose
Member # 309

- posted      Profile for Fructose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what's wrong with the detail I did?

--------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't know what you're doing as long as you look good doing it.

www.ericksmodels.com

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My goodness... that is one excellent model! I'm not sure what else can be said about it.

The following is not a complaint or criticism, just an observation: the detailing of the hull panel lines and the proportions seem perfect, but the hull itself seems to lack the "aztec" pattern and the pearly shine. It seems more of a shiny grey to me.

But like I said, the model is excellent as is -- definitely one of the best I've seen in a while. I don't do any 3D artwork myself, but I believe that such texturing can definitely be one of the trickiest parts. Still, well done! [Smile]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

JasonA
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the compliments guys!

Treknophyle, no I haven't seen it yet, but I'm interested. I'll check it out, but our local bookstores don't have it.. got any examples you'd like to post?

MinutiaeMan, yes others have mentioned the same thing to me.. well, the spec map is dominating the aztex patterns and the color map I had to go with it is applied *very* lightly... so it seems more greys are showing up than the blues,yellows, oranges and reds.. (they really are there [Smile] ) As for the pearlescent look, well I had some textures that looked like that, but then I decided not to use it cause that look was more with TMP refit than with the "-A". But I may try it again. Some of these textures maps need redoing really so I might just revisit them... my texturing skills far seriously behind my modelign skills [Smile]

Thanks for the great feeback folks! very helpful too... here soon I'll update you all with new exterior photos and a peek of the shuttlebay

IP: Logged
Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We'll be selling some copies eventually, but no, right now your best bet would be to check out the conventions.

Unless anyone else knows of a site with scans?

I do indeed love those ships - that's why I wrote the book. Marketing it and printing it was an afterthought - by somneone else. Those ships have always seemed more 'real' to me - perhaps because they seemed more achievable. The TOS movie ships were clean, sleek and functional - but in no way luxury liners like the Ent-D.

Seeing some of my favorites (Starstalker!!) done by JasonA would be the culmination of a dream (I myself lack the necessary 3d skills).

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm partial to the Belknap, myself. I love that ship... [Smile]

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW, FUCKIN' WOW!

Lovely stuff there!

Appropriate too, cause I'm playing the Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn soundtrack! [Smile]

*cough* Enterprise Class!?! [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's just beautiful!

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I do have one qualm... why not put some detail into the windows instead of them being just black of 'lights off' and white for 'lights on'.

Especially the bigger windows like the executive lounge and the rec dec.

My big problem with a lot of CGI trek stuff out there - just plain bloody white for windows.

--------------------

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
he already said he would:

quote:
Originally posted by JasonA:
yep I'm going to model 3 major interior sections of the prop. The detail level will vary slightly for each part, but I will probably make the Botanical garden (medium-low detail), the VIP lounge (medium detail) and the Shuttlebay (medium-high detail)

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Starstalker!!!

Shipschematics.net has them. If David gives the names, just search for them here.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the main problem i have with shipschematics.net is there is no way to search it based on source.. i can find no way to get it to simply show me all the ships from Starfleet Prototype without going through and clicking 'bibliography' or hatever for EVERY ship .. is there a list of all the ships pictured in that book?

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

re the detail of the windows stuff...

oops oh, heh, ok thanks.

Andrew

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

Because I'm bored:

Archangel
Asmodeus
S'Harien
Athabaska
Ranger
Starstalker
Thruxton
Siva
Scimitar
Pharris
Clarke
Greer
Dupliex
Monoceros
Phantom
Schmidt

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps