Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » BSG 3x04 - "Exodus Pt. 2" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: BSG 3x04 - "Exodus Pt. 2"
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ellen Tigh the only major character to bite the bullet -- or does Hera's adopted mother count?

Pegasus. Beautiful entry. Beautiful death.

I really don't know what more to say about this episode. Bah, producers, for not showing the raptors use their kick ass side-mounted missile launchers? Excellent atmospheric entry/launch manuever?

Q: It appears Roslin is once again the President. Er. How?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, she took physical possession of the office during a crisis. We'll see what happens once things calm down a little.
Trimm
Member # 865

- posted      Profile for Trimm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I understand why they got rid of the Pegasus, but DAMN I was hoping they'd keep it around. Guess that was the price they had to pay.
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I mourn the loss of the Pegasus. But at least she went in some form of glorious blaze (saving the day), unlike the last one (which got everyone out of the mess her CO created in the first place). We knew it was gonna happen - the show is called Battlestar GALACTICA, after all. [Wink]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, PS - we saw the flight pods retract before Galactica made her final in-episode jump. And in reviewing the 2nd season episodes, we saw pods extending in "Scattered."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_XlTLM5nTY

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think jumping the Galactical has to be the single craziest thing I've ever seen on a TV show.
Mostly I was glad they had it dropping like a rock rather than swooping down to save the day. Though I was oddly reminded of the sperm whale in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Did anyone spot a bowl of petunias?

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually I thought they were going to land the ship, but that jump was the coolest thing I've ever seen.

Too bad about Pegasus, she's was damn fine ship. A least she took out two basestars when she bit the dust. That oughta teach those toasters.

Bad news is that Hera is in the hands of the cylons now and Casey was a fake.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, seeing Galactica plummeting through the atmosphere and then jumping out at the last second was the single craziest thing I have ever seen. Go Adama!

I'm certainly sorry to see Pegasus go, but I think that was the writers' intent... keep the ship around so we're actually emotionally invested in it, and then blow it to pieces. It's not like we actually cared what happened to it in the original.

I also must give kudos to the writers for the timing of the clich�s (I deliberately have avoided any and all spoilers for the show)... I kept waiting and waiting for Pegasus to swoop in and save the day, and it didn't happen. Then Adama realized the fight was over, and pretty much gave up! Then there was that final pull-back, and I actually started to believe that they might blow up Galactica and dump their lead character, when naturally, Pegasus came swooping in. They got me, I'm happy to say.

I loved Roslin's reaction to the news that Maya and Hera probably didn't make it off-planet. Great philosophy, there.

One thing that I didn't get at all was Saul and Ellen. Maybe I'm just dense, but I didn't even realize at all that he'd killed her until Snay mentioned it. It makes sense after the fact, given his conversation with Anders before that scene, especially. But it didn't seem obvious (to me) that she'd just died there.

A couple of technical notes:

I really wish that they'd do a new "combat landings" effects shot; they're still re-using the same one from the miniseries every damn time. It's getting way too easy to spot.

I also wonder a bit about the way that the Galactica (and all the other ships) jumped out while in the atmosphere. Wouldn't a gigantic ship like that suddenly disappearing create a huge vacuum that would suck in a lot of air from surrounding areas? 'Twould have been cool to see debris and stuff suddenly sucked upwards by the enormous gusts of wind created by the jumping-out. Ah, well.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yeah, my other question: where the hell did Baltar and Caprica Six go? Did they go with the fleet, or leave with the Cylons?

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Leave with the cylons since I think if they'd gone with the fleet, they probably would have both been hung.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I also wonder a bit about the way that the Galactica (and all the other ships) jumped out while in the atmosphere. Wouldn't a gigantic ship like that suddenly disappearing create a huge vacuum that would suck in a lot of air from surrounding areas? 'Twould have been cool to see debris and stuff suddenly sucked upwards by the enormous gusts of wind created by the jumping-out. Ah, well.
I thought that was exactly what happened. Didn't you notice the implosion?

[ October 21, 2006, 10:31 AM: Message edited by: Reverend ]

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

Yeah, I saw the air rushing in, but I thought there'd be a bigger gust on the ground. Oh well.

--------------------

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought it was some cool CGI for the battle, except....I'm getting a little tired of the "Let's show how desperate we are, prepare for ramming speed" shtick. How many times is this tactic going to be used? I mean, come on, is ALL of sci-fi going Samurai or what?

SOooo.....I'm trying to list the instances I remember of starships ramming one another:

1. Decker rams the shuttlecraft down the planet killer's maw. French-fried Decker

2. Kirk rams the Constellation down the planet killer's maw but beams out in the nick of time.

3. IIRC, Riker prepared to ram a Borg cube in one TNG episode. But some other option opened at the last second.

4. Worf prepares to ram the Borg cube in First Contact before JLP drops in and rescues his "little" ship.

5. JLP rammed the Scimitar in Nemesis.

6. Lee Adama rams Peggy into the Cylon Basestar. He also gets bonus points and a powerup for the spare his starboard flight pod picked up on the second Basestar.

7. Sheridan rams the Whitestar into Z'ha'dum.

8. The Executor involuntarily rams DS2. Doesn't really count since it was unintentional, but I KNOW somebody will mention it.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

So what? It's a perfectly valid tactic for desperate situations. When your ship has no more effective weapons, you use the ship itself as a weapon.

(Also, you're thinking of Kamikaze, not Samurai.) [Wink]

--------------------

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

quote:
Originally posted by WizArtist II:
I thought it was some cool CGI for the battle, except....I'm getting a little tired of the "Let's show how desperate we are, prepare for ramming speed" shtick. How many times is this tactic going to be used? I mean, come on, is ALL of sci-fi going Samurai or what?

SOooo.....I'm trying to list the instances I remember of starships ramming one another:

1. Decker rams the shuttlecraft down the planet killer's maw. French-fried Decker

2. Kirk rams the Constellation down the planet killer's maw but beams out in the nick of time.

3. IIRC, Riker prepared to ram a Borg cube in one TNG episode. But some other option opened at the last second.

4. Worf prepares to ram the Borg cube in First Contact before JLP drops in and rescues his "little" ship.

5. JLP rammed the Scimitar in Nemesis.

6. Lee Adama rams Peggy into the Cylon Basestar. He also gets bonus points and a powerup for the spare his starboard flight pod picked up on the second Basestar.

7. Sheridan rams the Whitestar into Z'ha'dum.

8. The Executor involuntarily rams DS2. Doesn't really count since it was unintentional, but I KNOW somebody will mention it.

Well an A-wing rammed into the bridge of the Executor, that was kind of intentional.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps