Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Aincent History? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Aincent History?
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also they're (the Ancients) boring.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We really need to see the Furlings.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
Oma wasn't that bad. Yah, I mean she kind of screwed up the once. But she wasn't mean. Plus she talked in really cool riddles. And wasn't half bad to look at.

Yeah, but she was a rogue, remember? The only Ancients we've seen who wanted to do some actual good were punished or ostracized for it.

And about the Furlings, does anyone else just get a picture of little Ewoks in their heads whenever they're mentioned?

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just like in "200".

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Obviously with a name like that everyone thinks they are going to be furry.

What do we know of them so far?

One of the four 'great races'.
Were more pacifist in nature like the Nox and didn't like to interfere compared with the Asgard.
Are quite technologically advanced...
They have tech motifs that look black and silver and have little pyramid structures
Some wanted to abandon technology and formed that community.
They were known to at least one Goa'uld (the one who screwed up their community)

I wonder if they are in their own galaxy?

I would assume they fit in with another Earth-myth...

Asgard/Norse
Ancients/Roman?
Later Ancients Merlin etc.
Nox/Faeries

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I've heard it mentioned that the crystal skull race were supposed to turn out to be acended Furlings. It fits, but sounds more like speculation to me. I suppose it's possible that connection was droppd for whatever reason or the writers changed and it was simply forgotten.
The latter would seam to be the case as they were built up to be enemies of the Goa'uld then never mentioned again.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also wonder if they're native to this galaxy or not. The Nox apparently are. The Ancients aren't, but had taken up residence and established a significant presence, likely having already built the Gate system, when the Alliance was established. The Asgard aren't native either, but had apparently been visiting for awhile.

Note: I haven't seen Seaon 10 yet (it's on pre-order at Amazon) so I may not be up on a couple of things.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The writers HATED the Furlings, because it saddled an otherwise cool alien United Nations concept with a really dumb name. Think of the ribbing they took when they were announced at parites.

Host: "And now, the four races that rock our galaxy! The Ancients! The Asgard! The Nox! The... [snicker] the Furlings!!".

Nox: "Do not snicker at those less fortunate than you."

Asgard: "This rots, man. We TOTALLY need a fifth race to hang with now."

Ancients: "That's it, I'm outta here. See you on another plane."

When the current crop of producers took over in the third and fourth seasons, it quickly became one of the most derided questions that they were ALWAYS asked but NEVER wanted to answer. So when the opportunity came to parody the Furlings in "200", they turned out to be EXACTLY what you thought, or feared. And the Crystal Skull aliens were not meant to be the Furlings. Ascension was barely touched upopn at that time, and the writers probably didn't think much of it. Besides, the one example of Furling tech seems to indicate that whatever they looked like, they were at least as tall as regular humans as the buildings they had were about the right size.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I don't get is why not play off it. Sure you expect "Furlings" to be furry and Ewok-y, so turn it around and make it ironic: introduce them as grotesque alien spider things with tentacles for faces.

Sure it's dumb, but there's plenty of potential to make a decent joke out of it while still moving the story along, something which Stargate doesn't seem to have a problem with the rest of the time.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

I HATE that idea - just because they have a name that contains the word 'fur' - doesn't mean they have to BE furry.

Lanteans contains the word ANT

Asgard half contains the word ASS! [Smile]

I don't like their reasonings NOT to show them just based on the name. GAWD.

For all we know that was a 'nickname' and besides they could have spelled it "pherllings"

Oh and the buildings from that planet - with the pacifist society - could have been built by the people who accepted their invitation ot join them.

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Clearly, my brain is just wired differently, because, until I saw it discussed on the Internet, I always associated the word "Furling" with the word "furl", not "fur".
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So...they're flat sheets of tissue with a long straight spine, which they wrap around like a flag? [Razz]

That actually reminds me of a book I had when I was little, containing artists renditions of imagined life on different planets in the solar system... crystals on Pluto, ostrich-like things with giant ears to hear through the thin Martian air, Europan ice-skaters with lacy back spines to grab magnetic energy from Jupiter's magnetic field, and my favorite, giant gas-filled blimps with tentacles that floated through Jupiter's upper atmosphere consuming hydrogen. Point being: Why in this age of CGI is everything so damned humanoid? I want the Furlings to be grotesquely alien in physiology and psychology...

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HEY! I remember that book!

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seem to vaguely remember it myself...
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't that a book simply entitled "SPACE"? From National Geographic or something. Had a big PAINTING of a spaceship (another rarity these days) on the cover. Borrowed it all the time from the school library. I liked the Venusians eating the Soviet Venera lander. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps