Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Aincent History? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Aincent History?
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmmmmm - I think I ALSO remember something similar - and I've been looking for it for EVER!

I remember I think there were a series of soft-cover thin books "osbourne-books" had a red hot-air balloon logo. I think.

Anyway they were about various things in the series. One was about Space in general - had lots of drawn pictures, a few Bonestall pictures etc. Way out-of-date facts - but it was an AWESOME book.

There was also another called space-flight - and every couple of pages they had an experiment/art/craft type activity suggestion - in the spaceflight book they had a way to mimic life on a space station with artificial gravity - by having buckets filled with liquid and spinning around a centre of gravity - I remember one of the pictures had an astronaught in a verticle bathtub.

There was another book - I didn't have that one but I remember I got it out a few times from my primary school library - It was called Transport I think. They had various futuristic modes of transport - I remember a hydrofoil and a mag-lev train.

They all had AWESOME artwork. If anyone can remember what they were REALLY called - or where you can get them from or can scan them in - PLEASE let me know. I'd like to touch-base with those memories. You tube has been great in that I can go and watch all those saturday morning/weekday afternoon cartoons that I used to watch - some that I thought I had completely dreamt up as no one else could remember watching them! Does anyone ELSE remember watching Spartakus and the Sun Beneath The Sea!?! [Smile]

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup! That came on Nickelodeon back in the day, alongside of "You Can't Do That On Television"!
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It'd be cool if the Furlings De-volved after reaching the pinnacle of humanoid technological existance (assuming they had some sicial adversion to ascension).
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I THOUGHT I DREAMT SPARTAKUS TOO!

I remember loving the ship they had and thinking the artwork was really neat, but I don't remember hardly anything else about it. It's on YouTube you say? I'll have to check that out at work.

That and The Mysterious Cities of Gold were my Nickelodeon must-sees.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, you know not all of the Others were Ancients. Some could have been Furlings. Or hell, even Asgard, there's no reason a few of them couldn't have ascended.

lol I love how my memory sparked such a response from everyone...Guess we've been geeks since forever [Big Grin]

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last night I watched the episode where O'Neill is being tortured and (ascended) Daniel visits him and warns that if O'Neill were damaged by multiple resurections via sarcophagus, he could not Ascend.

Maybe that's why the Asgard did not Ascend and became sorta the custodians of the emerging races.
All that mind-transfering, ya know.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just in last night's Atlantis (the one about Michael's wonderful experiments), McKay specifically mentioned that the Wraith "evolved" from an infusion of human (or Ancient?) DNA, in the space of just a thousand years.

I think this still leaves room for the Wraith to turn out to be another Ancient experiment gone awry. [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
I THOUGHT I DREAMT SPARTAKUS TOO!

I remember loving the ship they had and thinking the artwork was really neat, but I don't remember hardly anything else about it. It's on YouTube you say? I'll have to check that out at work.

That and The Mysterious Cities of Gold were my Nickelodeon must-sees.

Yes! And both had KICK-ASS themes/opening credits!

Spartakus has such a... intruiging feel to it - yes their ship and having a vast underground realm and that mysterious woman they had with them. I'm so glad others know of Spartakus and the Sun Beneath the Sea!!

We just have to track down these books - do my descriptions jog anyone else's memory!?!

Andrew

--------------------

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vaguely. I might see if my small-town library has anything like them. But I don't have a scanner anymore, so the best I could do would be provide ISBNs. [Razz]
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
Just in last night's Atlantis (the one about Michael's wonderful experiments), McKay specifically mentioned that the Wraith "evolved" from an infusion of human (or Ancient?) DNA, in the space of just a thousand years.

I think this still leaves room for the Wraith to turn out to be another Ancient experiment gone awry. [Wink]

"Evolving" into the Wraith would imply a homeworld where their society and technology also evolved- something never alluded to- and still would not explain the unique orgainc technology aspect.

Maybe the Wraith's human forebears were very advanced (moreso in areas than the Aincents) with the orgainc tech- that way it was actually the Wraith assilating the original race that took 1000 years.
Hell, it's possible the proto-wraith delibertately integrated the Iratus bug into their DNA to become physically formidable enough to destroy the Aincents (assuming the Aincents really fucked them over- not too tough to imagine).

Another question- that whole "alien united nations" gag was after the Aincents lost the war with the Wraith?
Seems the only answer as to why the Aincents got no back-up from their peeps. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Ancient.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if maybe there was a civilization that developed in parallel/before the Ancients and it was they that got assimilated as Wraith and are the source of the technology...?

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like the Furlings? [Big Grin]

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Butler:
Vaguely. I might see if my small-town library has anything like them. But I don't have a scanner anymore, so the best I could do would be provide ISBNs. [Razz]

Anything - photographs with your mobile phone even! [Smile]

--------------------

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

hehehehehehhhhh...Behind on the bill. No service. [Big Grin]
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps