Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » $$ BSG 4x02: Six of One $$ (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: $$ BSG 4x02: Six of One $$
Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it was Dirk Benedict I think I'd be grinning for a week, like I was when he turned up on Big Brother.

But we would have heard about that by now, wouldn't we?

I saw the pics of the actress who plays Ellen too, but wondered if she was just visiting the set. I seem to remember that Michael Hogan and Edward James Olmos were in costume, but she wasn't. But in any case, like you say, it's most likely for flashbacks if she was filming.

It'd be a very interesting dynamic, though. Tigh kills her for collaborating with the Cylons, discovers he himself is a Cylon and then finds out she was one too. Should he still feel guilty for killing her and in what way should he approach her now?

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Ellen, I'm so glad you're a Cylon!"? Hmm...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there anyone else from BSGTOS, besides old school Apollo, alive and interested in NuBSG? I thought 'Face Man' put a dagger or two into the new series, ensuring he'd 'never BE ON THE SERIES'?

:/

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Dirk Benedict wrote an article that basically proved he is a misogynistic bastard.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn you feminist! Damn you all to hell!
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too bad for him. As I understand it before he went and stuck his foot in it RDM had an idea to end the first season with Baltar seeing Benedict in the Kobol Opera house (with "All Along the Watchtower" playing in the background) and then have him say, "Hi! I'm God".
Obviously they didn't do it, but he was in their thoughts.
It really is a shame because before I read that article (and Katee Sackhoff reaction) I had thought he'd be good as Kara's Piano playing, cigar smoking father (seen through flashback of course.) I'd be interested to see what kind of man had a child with that dried up, chain smoking and bitter ex-squaddie that was Socrata Thrace. Somehow I get the impression they weren't married

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Old-Apollo was pretty hesitant about NuBSG originally too, wasn't he? But now he likes it enough to be on it. And he was like a rabid nutty fan of a dead cult sci-fi show....except he was actually on the cult sci-fi show. (Poooor Galactica 1980.)

Helena Cain's always been a bitch. Left her sister to die when the Cylons came during the last war. Which also made me think they're going to find her little sister all grown up - the kid was apparently taken, her body wasn't there. Just her dolly.

There won't be gender symmetry in the 12 anyway. Even if the Final One is a woman, it'll be 7 men, 5 women. So maybe it's not a point to even wonder about. Then again, it does "feel" like they'd do 7/5 more than they would 8/4. Especially since they already split the Cylons into a group of 7 and 5 ;P

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's something about that episode that caught my attention. Now for starters I like the military aspect to the show. I like that they use military terms usually correctly. CIC for example, when I was stationed on the Fitzgerald I worked in CIC. Unlike Star Trek which shows all the action happening on the bridge, on a real Navy ship CIC is where all the decision making actions take place.

And on a side note, I think it's cool that the USS Fitzgerald DDG-62 made its way into the BSG universe, DDG-62 was the engine model of the blackbird. Apparently one of the writers/producers got a tour of the Fitzgerald before it switched homeports from San Diego to Yokosuka.

Anyway, I've digressed... as far as the rank structure goes it follows a mix of Navy and Army titles such as ensign, lieutenant (and LTJG), commander and admiral (all Navy ranks) and then titles like major and colonel (Marine/Air Force/Army) ranks. The enlisted ranks are pretty much Navy also.

Now to finally get to my point, in a scene in this episode during Apollo's party before he leaves the fleet there's a shadowbox with various rank patches in it. What caught my attention were the few current Air Force enlisted rank patches. Maybe they figured it would only be seen for a second and no one would notice, but this doesn't strike me as that type of show. It instead reinforces the idea that it takes place way in our future. Be it that the 12 colonies were created by people from Earth and some how left or a stray ship from the SGC left some USAF badges on Caprica I don't know.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes:
And on a side note, I think it's cool that the USS Fitzgerald DDG-62 made its way into the BSG universe, DDG-62 was the engine model of the blackbird.

Could you explain this a bit more, please?
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok...

USS Fitzgerald DDG-62 Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer
 -
The first ship I was stationed on from 2002-2004 in San Diego.

And from the BSG wiki site: http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/DDG-62
quote:
The DDG-62 is a model of sublight engine, outdated by the time of the Fall of the Twelve Colonies. The engines are apparently meant for small, one-man craft, and provide ample acceleration that seems to match that of a Viper Mark II.

During the construction of the Blackbird, a prototype craft devised by Galen Tyrol and constructed by crew of Galactica, Colonel Saul Tigh offers Tyrol a pair of these engines that are taking up space in the Baah Pakal's cargo hold (Flight of the Phoenix).

The engines were designed by aeronautical engineer Peter Laird, who says that they were mostly phased out of use 10 years ago (Pegasus).

Notes
* DDG-62 is also the real-word designation of the US Navy Arleigh Burke class destroyer USS Fitzgerald. DDG is the Navy hull classification for a guided missile destroyer.

* The engines' name is an homage to that very ship. The show's science advisor, Kevin R. Grazier, organized a tour of the vessel for the writing staff. Ultimately only Bradley Thompson and his wife attended, but he later included the reference into the episodes as thanks.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, okay! I didn't remember that it was the name of the engines themselves. The way you said it, it sounded to me like they modeled the *shape* of the engines based on the Fitzgerald. No wonder it wasn't making sense to me.... [Roll Eyes]
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes:
Now to finally get to my point, in a scene in this episode during Apollo's party before he leaves the fleet there's a shadowbox with various rank patches in it. What caught my attention were the few current Air Force enlisted rank patches. Maybe they figured it would only be seen for a second and no one would notice, but this doesn't strike me as that type of show. It instead reinforces the idea that it takes place way in our future. Be it that the 12 colonies were created by people from Earth and some how left or a stray ship from the SGC left some USAF badges on Caprica I don't know.

I noticed those patches too but to be honest I wouldn't read too much into it. It'd be like the modern military using rand insignia that has gone unchanged since the days of Nebuchadrezzar.
I think it's more of what we've seen with the Hum-vee, Eastern European cars, Cain's collection of flintlocks and "All Along The Watchtower". Not a relic of the past so much as a echo from the collective unconscious or even the idea that humans will reinvent thing again and again without having any knowledge of the previous incarnation or even have two groupe come up with the same thing totally independent of each other.
This is a more common phenomenon than you might think, though in reality it's rarely as specific.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How else could you shape a flintlock-type gun, anyway? Or a car? Granted the lines could be a bit different, but the basic shape of a gun or ground vehicle invented by any group of humans would be the same.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps