Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » $$ BSG 4x03 The Ties That Bind $$ (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: $$ BSG 4x03 The Ties That Bind $$
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The fuck was up with those glowing spines? They can't tell humans from Cylons and yet they have bioluminescent spines?

Maybe Galen wasn't "programmed" with the memory. Maybe he really knew about it from his "childhood" - presumably the Final Five at *some* point knew they were Cylons, since the rest of the Cylons knew about them. The Cylons want to find Earth, too, and like Boomer once said (or was it Athena?), "We know more about your religion than you do."

Razor $$/
Ritten: The hybrid specifically said "humanity must not follow her", I remember that much. /$$

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I knew someone would remember more than I.

Anyone got that little conversation someplace? The exact wording now has me wondering.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Hybrid_utterances

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't know if anyone spotted it, but they Cylon ambush took place less than 26 light years from Earth. If you look at the star field, you can clearly see Orion and the nearest star of that constellation to Earth is Pi3 Orionis. I'd say that at most they're only 15-20 light years away.

As for Tory, I think it's pretty clear from the way she was talking in the bar that she's gone a bit sociopathic. Still, no excuse for killing off one of the show's best supporting characters. Not that I'm angry at the writers mind, to paraphrase Joss Whedon; what's the point of killing a character nobody cares about? And that guy knows all about killing off good characters.
I should have expected it though, as soon as an episode is centred around a supporting character on this show, they're toast. Lest we forget that Billy finally grew a pair right before he got himself shot or that we discovered that Kat had a life beyond being a pain in Starbuck's arse right before she was turned into the ready-brek man.
Still if the chief finds out what Tory did, she's one dead skinjob.

One thing about the system Starbucks obsessed with - didn't I read somewhere that it's unlikely for Gas giants to form in trinary systems due to all the gravitational effects? I suppose it would depend on the relative mass and orbits of the stars and if any planets formed before it became a trinary.

About the Cylon civil war - I wonder how they Hybrids are going to react to having to shoot at each other. Oh and Cabel & Boomer...ew.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, the reason they're looking for the trinary star is because it's a bit less common, and thus (hopefully) easier to find. And for those who might have forgotten, Alpha Centauri is a trinary. Closer and closer we get...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

OverRon
Member # 2036

- posted      Profile for OverRon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
Don't know if anyone spotted it, but they Cylon ambush took place less than 26 light years from Earth. If you look at the star field, you can clearly see Orion and the nearest star of that constellation to Earth is Pi3 Orionis. I'd say that at most they're only 15-20 light years away.

Good eyes. Is it just the Visual FX guys using a generic Earth-centric starmap or a clue to the fact they're near Earth? I mean, when I make space scenes in a 3D app, I often just use a high res Earth-centred starmap.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
No, the reason they're looking for the trinary star is because it's a bit less common, and thus (hopefully) easier to find. And for those who might have forgotten, Alpha Centauri is a trinary. Closer and closer we get...

I wasn't talking about the reason they're looking for it, just half remembering some article on exo-planets and how a gas giant in a trinary system is unlikely. Perhaps I am misremembering. Given that the comet's tail wasn't pointing away from either of the three stars, I think they're taking quite a bit of licence. So it probably was Proxima...then perhaps it wasn't really a comet... [Wink]
Though yes, the thought that it could be the Alpha Centauri A-B/Proxima system did occur to me.
Though in reality, assuming the comet & planet were orbiting Proxima, I don't think A&B Centauri would be that big in the sky. In fact they'd probably look like just one rather bright star, or dim sun. Though it depends on how authentic a picture the effects team are going for.
[EDIT]
Something that just occurred to me about the Hybrid-Prime's line about Kara being the "Herald of the Apocalypse". Apocalypse really just means "lifting of the veil", that is in Biblical terms the revelation of God's Will (hence book of Revelations) so perhaps in true prophetic fashion, perhaps that statement is a little more misleading that it appears. It's just the modern perception that closely associates Apocalypse with nukes, knives and sharp sticks.

--------------------

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was at Comicon today and Rekha Sharma, Michael Trucco, and Michael Hogan were there. Many fans gave Sharma flak due to her character's actions in last nights episode. Though at least one fan thanked her for killing his least favorite character; he was booed. [Razz]
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

quote:
I wasn't talking about the reason they're looking for it, just half remembering some article on exo-planets and how a gas giant in a trinary system is unlikely
Oh, right. Well, I don't think that's necessarily an overall rule. In the afore-linked Wikipedia article, it mentions that it's unlikely for gas giants to have formed in the A.C. system in the same fashion that they formed around Sol, because the two stars approach to within 11 AU of each other. Therefore, any planet that orbited beyond 5 AU or so from either star would likely be swallowed by one star or the other.

If there were instead a trinary system where the stars were very widely separated, then it would be an entirely different story.

--------------------

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't Starbuck say she saw a gas giant with rings? I thought she meant Saturn, but was she talking about a planet orbiting the trinary or a planet in Earth's system?
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

quote:
Oh, right. Well, I don't think that's necessarily an overall rule. In the afore-linked Wikipedia article, it mentions that it's unlikely for gas giants to have formed in the A.C. system in the same fashion that they formed around Sol, because the two stars approach to within 11 AU of each other. Therefore, any planet that orbited beyond 5 AU or so from either star would likely be swallowed by one star or the other.

If there were instead a trinary system where the stars were very widely separated, then it would be an entirely different story.

Right, so possibly not the Centauri system, depending on how brushed up the writing and/or VFX staff is on astrophysics.

--------------------

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Hybrid_utterances

Thanks.

quote:
Originally written for a Hybrid:
Kara Thrace will lead the human race to its end. She is the herald of the apocalypse, the harbinger of death. They must not follow her.

To which end? The herald and harbinger for whom?

Now that she is on the hunt for the return path to earth I am wondering more about that.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm disappointed. We keep saying "they're not going to do so-and-so, it's too obvious" but what happewned in this ep seemed really quite obvious - or rather the word is, easy.

First off, I agree that maybe Cally having to deal with the reality of her husband's identity over a longer period wouild be more interesting. But as someone said, they're probably preferring to do that between Starbuck and Anders - but that pales next to the real biggie, Adama discovering his closest and oldest friend is what he's spent his whole adult life fighting.

Next, there's who they chose to use to be the Evil Final Four Member - the seductive temptress, so to speak. Why, she even look middle-eastern! Although I'm sure that wasn't a consideration, it's gonna tick a lot of boxes for the wingnut demographic (those that didn't leave in protest over the Abu Ghraib allusions, anyway). It couldn't be Anders because he's off panting after his ostensible wife, but can you imagine if the hand on that Eject button had been one of the two most popular second-tier characters in the show - Tigh, or even the Chief himself? Getting Tori to be the one is a cop-out.

While on the subject of obvious/easy, wouldn't anyone faced with what Cally had discovered try to warn the authorities? Or is her immediate course of action more realistic for someone in her mental state? Not even the tiniest little bit of internal dialogue about how the Admiral would never believe the Colonel or his Chief Engineer were Cylons, or the President would never believe her Chief-of-Staff was one?

I dunno, maybe it's just me. As my reaction in the past has shown, I'm very sensitive to children being in danger, and this also had a child losing its mother, a fear I've had to confront quite recently.

I wonder if Zarek manipulated Apollo into revealing that leaked report, so Roslin could then say that since it's now out in the open, they can now proceed with it? What is going on in her head?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

shikaru808
T-t-t-t-today, JUNIOR!
Member # 2080

- posted      Profile for shikaru808     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone get the feeling like we're sometimes over-analyzing this deal? Shit-loads of good research, but I think someone was right in the fact that they're making things too obvious/easy.

--------------------
"Its coming on. I just saw the wall move..."

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Sometimes making the audience think something is too obvious is just another way of making them look the other way. Feints within feints and all that. It's ok, so long as it's not overused.
In this case they didn't cheat because they made it look like Cally was going to kill herself, then made it look like Tory was going to talk her down only to go 180 and flush her anyway. Which, I'll be honest, I didn't see coming. I should have, the signs were there that Tory has gone a little off centre but what I was half expecting was a repeat of Six's baby killing from the mini.
Unlike Lee I don't have children, but between my three brothers I have eight nephews & nieces which I see very regularly, so I am somewhat more distracted when a child is in peril. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

--------------------

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps