Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Stargate - non puritanis? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Stargate - non puritanis?
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The pilot for Stargate SG-1 aired here in Sweden, last monday. It always takes about four years for our TV companies to get stuff from the US (S:AaB came in -95 and Sweden got it in -99).
It seems good and it beats crappy "X-Files season VI" which is at the same time, 21:00 mondays, so I'll watch it.

Anyhow, I started watching the pilot, was relieved when I realised out that the show didn't try to replace the movie (a la Nikita) but succeed it, all past events had still happened.
I also noted they must have a pretty good budget, those weapons they carry (M-249 machineguns, semi-auto assault shotguns) and the other equipment must've cost a fortune.

Then it happened. That "god-of-night" hypnotized Sha're before the alien examination and left her IN THE NIP!!! I couldn't believe it! I've never seen so much skin in any 45min TV-show! And with MacGyver in it as well, mr boy scout!

I discussed it with a girl in my office yesterday, she had also been surprised, but thought it a good move, bodies are nothing to be ashamed of.

So did this stir up hell in the US? Did the show get banned from any channels, did it start any debates on talkshows?? Did the producers have to edit it or something, to reach more channels? And will there be more of it in the series?
I suppose that if they decide to drop the bomb this early, they'll try to take advantage of it while they can.

To my knowledge this is the only show I've ever seen with full nudity in it, or have there been others? Will Trek get some?

------------------
Don't kill me, I'm charming!

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I understand it, you saw the video/cable version. The pilot that was shown in the US and the UK didn't have the, er, extra bits. I don't know how common the practice is - in fact, I've never heard of any other show filming gratuitous sex/nudity only to be included in the video version. Although I gather that "Total Recall 2070" was a bit dodgy in that regard, never seen it though.

Personally, I nearly fell off my chair the first time there was nudity on "The Outer Limits." You get kinda used to the Yanks being totally prudish!

Oh, BTW - get any vidcaps? 8)

------------------
Phasers

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, please post caps!!

I believe the Highlander Series also has a racier side that wasn't shown on TV. I remember seeing some special offer for the expanded versions or something.

------------------
"The sons of the Prophet were valiant and bold,
And quite unacustomed to fear.
But, of all, the most reckless, or so I am told,
Was Abdulah Boul Boul Ameer."
Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trust me guys - "Yanks" (and we Canadians) aren't prudes.

Our governments are...

------------------
Faster than light - no left or right.

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I suppose most producers/TV company commitees just cut stuff to reach a bigger audience. And they count on protective parents to be on their side.

Funny though, that the US and Canada must buy this "special" episode that we got for free.

Six months ago a debate show on our TV4 discussed the topic of what you may and may not show on TV. They topped it off with getting a young couple that would have sex in live television if the "yes" side won in their phone vote. That was cool.
People even SMS:ed in their vote.
"Yes" won with 80-20.

------------------

Nim
Member # 205

"realise out"??? lol! I need more pills, this cold is killling me...

------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On a slightly related topic, I hereby post this prediction (I've had this thought for a little while now): within 5 years, the word "shit" will be scripted, spoken and aired on a US television show. There'll be a little hubbub, but it will open the door for swearing to become more and more prominent on US airwaves.

A breast will be seen on screen with in 7 to 10 years.

Does this relate to anything? Well, slightly. Mostly, though, it's an opportunity for me to spout off...

------------------
"The sons of the Prophet were valiant and bold,
And quite unacustomed to fear.
But, of all, the most reckless, or so I am told,
Was Abdulah Boul Boul Ameer."
Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's better to edit out violence than sex.

Our problem is we've got this old, puritanical mindset (brought to you by your friendly neighborhood paranoid fundies) that the human body and sex are somehow 'dirty.'

There'd be less violence if there was more sex. Nobody'd have the TIME!

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or, if done right, the energy.... for a bit anyway...

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking" Nugget
Star Trek: Gamma Quadrant
Star Trek: Legacy
Read them, rate them, got money, film them

"...and I remain on the far side of crazy, I remain the mortal enemy of man, no hundred dollar cure will save me..." WoV

Nim
Member # 205

Actually, men are said to be more prone to violence if disturbed/irritated during sex, especially during orgasm.
Apparently, the mind is very sensitive at that time and talk about "issues" or problems in the relationship can be...bad.

------------------

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is why most guys go right to sleep.... then they can't be bothered......

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking" Nugget
Star Trek: Gamma Quadrant
Star Trek: Legacy
Read them, rate them, got money, film them

"...and I remain on the far side of crazy, I remain the mortal enemy of man, no hundred dollar cure will save me..." WoV

Nim
Member # 205

Tell that to Phil Hartman.

------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stargate SG-1 isn't on network television. It has nothing to do with network television. It is a product of Showtime, which is a cable network, and thus is free to produce shows like "Fucky Fuckertson Goes to Town!" and so on.

The Outer Limits was also a Showtime production, which explains Alyssa Milano.

------------------
OH NO< THE OLD MAN WALKS HIS GREEN DOG THAT SHOTS PINBALLS!~!!!
--
Jeff K
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet" and nothing at all will happen.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe the word "shit" was already in an episode of ER. Around here, it was bleeped out. But I believe some areas let it go.

------------------
Lister: "Cat, what are you doing?"
Cat: "I'm courting."
Lister: "Courting who?"
Cat: "Whoever shows up!"
-Red Dwarf, "Me�"

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's just the US Gov/Hyper-sensitive religious types/People who can't see the human body without cringing that make US air waves so censored to nudity, sex and the harsher curse words. Most of the rest of us are perfectly normal though.

I am currently downloading the episode you mention, and most likely it'll have the "naughty bits" so I'll make screen caps of them when it's done.

------------------

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps