Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Stargate - non puritanis? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Stargate - non puritanis?
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hehe, that dot over the second A in the Stargate logo makes it the letter �, so it pronounces "StarGoat".

------------------
Don't kill me, I'm charming!

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Highlander: The Series has been edited for airing in the US. Essentially, to make room for more of those lovely commercials, they chop about 4-minutes of sword' swinging or love making or whatever out of each episode to show us lovely Americans.

The edits are called the "Euro-minutes": probably because the Europeans get to see the whole episode. When Highlander was released on video in season box-sets, the Euro-minutes were added for the American release. Quite a few of the first season's Euro-minutes featured Duncan and Tessa ... and not many clothes. Prophecy in the Fifth Season featured an extended end scene with Duncan and Cassandra (Tracy Scoggins) getting it down and dirty ...

On the all and all, the vast majority of the Euro-minutes are either the "Darius/Waterloo" flashback that TPTB decide they need to repeat ten times each season, or dialogue cut out ... there was a great scene with Methos and a "Villain of the Week" the episode where the British guy was trying to kill MacLeod for Mac's actions against the English... in a Season V episode -- can't think of the name, and I can't check either 'cuz they're all boxed up -- ah, but it was a great bit of dialogue that we 'mericans didn't get ...

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
Card-Carrying Member of the Flare APAO
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, we get 4-5 commercial breaks in an episode (about 3-4 minutes each) so I think we get cheated as well...

I'm watching Stargate now, AAMOF, they're just about to take the goa'uld out of Kowalski.

------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nimrod: "Yes" what? I didn't get that.

------------------
"The sons of the Prophet were valiant and bold,
And quite unacustomed to fear.
But, of all, the most reckless, or so I am told,
Was Abdulah Boul Boul Ameer."
Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

Nim
Member # 205

Well...
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Embrace of the Vampire.

I've seen the box at the shop, that's all!

------------------
OH NO< THE OLD MAN WALKS HIS GREEN DOG THAT SHOTS PINBALLS!~!!!
--
Jeff K
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet" and nothing at all will happen.

Nim
Member # 205

Yeah, yeah...*pats Sol's shoulder*
Talk to Abanovicz whydon'tcha, I think you are on the same level there.

------------------

Nim
Member # 205

Also, I watched Episode II yesterday, where they finally made Kowalski dead. Poor guy, must've been a small paycheck compared to the other guys. Two episodes...

And what's up with Richard Dean Anderson? He gets this "whiny ol' fart" voice when he yells nowadays. "General, ye cean't send theat bomb through, ye jest cean't!!!" He never sounded like that in MacGyver...

But I must say I was surprised at the development there, I thought they'd feed on that "one of the goodguys is in fact one of them" for a whole season, like Seska and that pathetic ensign that ended up in the warp core. Of course, they probably hadn't planned to devilize Seska from the beginning.

And the SG-1 action is great, very professional military-style moves when Kowalski smacked down those two little guards. Star Trek has always had the crappiest fight coordinators, apart from Tsunkatse.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Nimrod (edited May 12, 2001).]

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nimrod -- you don't get cheated by as much as American audiences. Sure we've got the same number of breaks in the episode, but they stuck more commercials in our breaks than they did in yours ...

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

Nim
Member # 205

Oh, that's too bad. We have two particular channels, the original two from the 60's, that are government owned and have no commercials whatsoever.
TV2 are showing Voyager season 4 but I'm not that interested in reruns, if it's not a really good one. I watched "Scorpion" of course. Should've watched that "Distant origin" but missed it. Dars.

------------------

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*replying to older messages*

Ah, yes, the wonderful televison of America.

You can't say 'shit' or 'fuck', but you can broadcast live executions and sell AK-47's to six year old girls.

(And that's enough flaming for one day in a non-flaming board)

------------------
"Fuck L Ron Hubbard and fuck all his clones.
Fuck all those gun-toting
hip gangster wannabes."
-Tool, �nima

---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

[This message has been edited by Prakesh (edited May 13, 2001).]

Nim
Member # 205

I'm sorry, what was that last bit? I don't think TV shopping has degraded to that extent yet.

------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

There have been no televised executions in the US, dude.

And, er, I don't think the Home Shopping Network has started selling firearms, either ...

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Nim
Member # 205

Would be cool, though.
"I want my daughter to be safe when she is walking to school. What do you say, Cindy?
-Wow, daddy, this 7.62 cartridge has got much more stopping power against drug dealers than our old 5.56. Just look at them fly! *Yo what the fu-BLAM-aaaagh*
-They sure do, hon, they sure do..."

------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nimrod: I still have no idea what you're talking about My roomates and I watched the Vamp movie she was in after finals a few years ago. Fairly cheesy, but she was in it.

------------------
"The sons of the Prophet were valiant and bold,
And quite unacustomed to fear.
But, of all, the most reckless, or so I am told,
Was Abdulah Boul Boul Ameer."
Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps