Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » LotR: TTT trailer (Page 2)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: LotR: TTT trailer
EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
Indie Tolkien Geekout Credit Report:

Despising the films: +100 points.
Thinking that Robert Jordan's work is something other than extruded fantasy product: -100,000,000 points.

Total: -99,999,900 points.

what do you mean by "extruded fantasy product"? do you mean because it is based off a lot of other works? almost everything is. the reason The Wheel of Time is so good isn't because of an original plot, but because Jordan can write characters. have you read the books? Jordan can write characters better than anyone, in my opinion.
IP: Logged
EdipisReks
Ex-Member

quote:
Originally posted by Woodside Kid:
[QB]Oh, please. Jackson hasn't touched the bloody books;

you're right, he hasn't touched the books. if he had touched the books, he might have done better since the books have a plot synopsis on the back. there wasn't one fucking scene that was right in the first movie. would it have been so hard to make most of the right? i am well aware that they can't make the movies just like the books, but there is no reason to change everything. was it soooooo necessary to make the the battle between the West and Sauron so wrong? was it so necessary to make Isildur accidentally cut the ring from Sauron's hand instead of doing it on purpose with the Hilt shard of his father's sword after Sauron was momentarily stunned? instead of making Isildur and his kin and Gil-Galad heroic, jackson made them pathetic. yea, i guess you can say it was jackson's own "vision", but if Jackson wanted to produce his own "vision" then he should have made a movie set in an orginal universe. was it really necessary for Jackson to make Arwen the one who saved the Hobbits at the river? Arwen doesn't have many lines in the book. Liv Tyler should have known that going in. she's ugly anyway, so who wants to see more of her? they cut out one of my favorite characters to have more of a chick so that teenage boys will get all excited. doesn't sound like responsible film making. i can accept the chase from the Shire the way it was done. i can accept the cutting out of the Old Forest. in a movie adaptation of this type it is necessary to cut out the "character building only" stuff sometimes. however, it was totally unnecessary to warp the flavor and character of every scene. and it is every scene, believe me. this distortion is why i hate the movies. someone who actually cared about the material could have made a movie that was just as "good" and just as concise while still being in the spirit of LoTR.

quote:
was assigned them in high school
wow, forced to read a series of books a quarter century, and now you're an expert. you might be twice my age, but you need to grow up.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Extruded fantasy product is any work which is not so much written as squeezed out from a vat in a sort of assembly line process.
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Edipis, where the hell did all this sudden, teenagey angst come from? [Confused]

If details like Narsil/And�ril get you worked up like this you should try to get things in perspective.
Mortensen held And�ril already on the first movie poster, so relax, guy!

Quote: "it was totally unnecessary to warp the flavor and character of every scene. and it is every scene, believe me. this distortion is why i hate the movies."

LOTR is written in a very rigid, dry olde english that can be a real challenge to understand for many people, without a copy of "Oxford's" at their side.

So any movie adaption with the slightest talent, adding colours, a music score and emotional content to elevate the scene, would inevitably "warp the flavor and characters" of the original in a heartbeat.

And I think it was done with style. :-)

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hahaha! You need to grow up you're really mad about a silly geek movie and a buncha old books!

Every time anything is adapted, the original intentions get altered by artistic license. Shakespeare's work has been rewritten, filmed and reimagined in countless ways, I can't imagine he'd approve of all of them but all of them have artistic value and entertainment value as well.

Saying that they never should have been made is ridiculous. I'm going to expand on my earlier comment that that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard: EVERY movie is going to have its detractions.. negative points that just couldn't be fixed, but every movie (or at least every well imagined film, if you want to make that differentiation) has artistic value because it is a labor of creativity, if the process was abandoned because there were exceedingly minor plot points that just couldn't be abided to, very few of my favorite movies would ever have been made.

And now you're so upset by a movie adaptation of a book that you are lashing out with personal attacks telling people to grow up because you aren't satisfied with a childish movie. Go you!

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Edy is actually having you all on. Very convincing, very funny. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why Voggie, what a noble gesture, presenting the lad with a backdoor. :-)

Well, his comments were a bit low.

"since when did Eomer look like a dirty hippy?"

Battling orcs and beasts on trampled fields and patrolling lands for days on end can get a bit dirty actually, and at the time, the James Bond Magic Makeover Hairspray hadn't been invented, I'm happy to say.
Only Gandalf can do that, and preferably only once a lifecycle (it stings somewhat). :-)

"since when did modern blockbuster movies have really fakey 3d effects?"

Since Tron. (and by jove it works!)

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
don't insult Liv Tyler. It just ain't right.
EdipisReks
Ex-Member

quote:
Originally posted by O Captain Mike Captain:

she looks like a monkey. and one of my friends nearly ran over her dad over by accident at Cincinnati's Oktoberfest.
EdipisReks
Ex-Member

quote:
Originally posted by Nimpim:
Why Voggie, what a noble gesture, presenting the lad with a backdoor. :-)

i don't need a backdoor, but thanks anyway, Vogon Poet.

quote:
Originally posted by Nimpim:
"since when did modern blockbuster movies have really fakey 3d effects?"

Since Tron. (and by jove it works!)

tron's effects weren't fakey. that was just the....art style [Smile] .
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by EdipisReks:
quote:
Originally posted by O Captain Mike Captain:

she looks like a monkey. and one of my friends nearly ran over her dad over by accident at Cincinnati's Oktoberfest.
"Crazy."

(FOR GREAT PUN!!!!)

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could have been worse, I guess: we could have ended up with Alicia Silverstone as Arwen instead. 8)

(assuming of course Tom's post refers to the Aerosmith vid which featured both her and the then-Liv Rundgren - I thought I'd better check, after all, my instincts are off today, I thought Edy was kidding when it turns out he's deadly, alarmingly, serious)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

nevermind. i get it now.
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Poet has the correct interpretation, yes.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can bitch about tLotR all you like - you are still going to see it. And people are talking about pubococcyceal straining around these parts - I need to go to a physiotherapist after watching the latest trailer. *tingling feeling* *lump in throat forming* *get the tissues!* ;o)

The Wheel of Time though I HAVE to comment on. Those 10 books and counting are some of the biggest load of SHITE that has ever been committed to paper. I'm sure L. Ron Hubbard's book is better than those travesties. When someone says extruded fantasy... The books are just shelf-fillers. Each book could be one or even half of one chapter of ONE book. Talk about long winded clap trap that tires, bores and goes NOWHERE. No character development, rehashed ideas, pathetic plot advancement, cliched ideas... i.e. a real bore. Those books are made for nerds who can show off at a bus-stop how big-a-book they can read. Ugh.

I read the first two or three, and I was so disgusted with them I sold them. (I generally keep all the books I read). If they were a bad movie, I'd be sneeking into another movie to get my money's worth.

What a waste of mental power.

Ugh.

If you want 'pop' fantasy done WELL - Read The Dragonlance series. In particular the Dragons trilogy and the Twins trilogy.

Oh and the Sparhawk - Elenium/Tamuli trilogies by Robert Eddings. (And his wife as well weren't they).

I don't often have a lot of things/books to complain about but those Wheel of Time things are just hokey trash.

*would rather read a Mills and Boon* [Wink]

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps