Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » LotR: TTT trailer (Page 6)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: LotR: TTT trailer
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
. . . nah, forget it.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good ole original Georgie Lucas... Jocastu Nu was the name of the old librarian chick in AotC.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Edipis: "blah blah blah. it was titty time. "official line"="official bullshit"."

Well, why don't we just discard every statement ever made from the producer's tent to the people, then, you hilarious little guy.

"the Royalty situation in Lothlorien kinda punches holes in your theory."

Oh, and how exactly? Galadriel is in the book portrayed like Virgin Mary, which can be linked to Tolkien's view of his mother, like the general catholic way of putting the mother/woman on a "piedestal".
Galadriel's and Celeborn's equality is commendable and I don't see how it punches holes in my "theory", as you like to call it.

"there ARE not combat soldiers AFAIK in the US military, only combat pilots"

That does NOT make a difference and is no argument in your favor. If anything, being a pilot demands even more dedication, professionalism and crueler, colder persons that don't flinch when bombing stuff.
If it's a policy thing then the US Army PR-section must have forgotten that female pilot deaths get just as gorey, burnt or bloody as a girl being shot or crushed under tanks.

Swedish women over 18 can volunteer and apply for any bransch of the army, navy or air force if they qualify. I happen to know two girls that finished their military service a year ago and are arctic fucking rangers now. And they're cute, not crewcut lesbian bikers, but they recieved nothing but respect from the gentlemen in the unit.

"...and the Israeli military quit using women in offensive combat because male soldiers tended to jump in front of the women. the most cruel people i have ever known have been women. however, they have not been agressive. that was the point i was making, you simply missed it."

I didn't miss it, it is a moot point since it is already widely accepted and doesn't enter into it. You don't have to be aggressive to be a warrior, martial arts can teach you that.

Israeli men, although perhaps ahead of their muslim fundamentalist counterparts regarding equality, are maybe too conservative for the model "female soldier" to work properly in their case, if your story is true. I understand why they would want to do that, but it works in many other parts of the world, nonetheless.

Unless you've actually been tortured or beaten by a woman I suspect you're either talking about some nasty school teacher of yours, or you're referring to relationship experiences, in which case I'm sorry to say that we guys can be just as cruel, sorry to burst your stereotype "50's blues song"-attitude towards angry women.

"however, they have not been agressive."
Well good for you, son! Honestly!
And Damn you're shifting topics. :-)

Posted towards Omega: "apparently, you're nearly totally illiterate. do all the other words that i wrote just look like weird smears to you?"

What? Those points about women? You only stuck to that "women not aggresive" thing, and the "titty" thing, just repetition. Omega was just observing and did not have that coming.

--

To summarize, elves do have magnificent female warriors, and the new films get the opportunity to maybe show it more than the book, if Arwen does anything else daring in the coming movies.
The book did graze the subject, no doubt about it, Eowyn has been utilized heavlily judging by the trailers, and her actor is no less attractive than, say, Heather graham or Cameron Diaz, in my opinion.

And that's what all this is about, opinions, and not to confuse them with facts.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was there equality between Galadriel and Celeborn? Celeborn seemed like Galadriel's wipping boy! [Smile]

I would have loved to have seen Celebrian's hair... father had silver hair mother had golden hair. Hair that supposedly F�anor coveted. It seemed to capture the light of the two trees of Valinor... and it supposedly gave him the idea to make the Silmarils. He even asked for a lock of her hair - which she denied him... and from then on they were never 'friendly' towards each other again.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice'n'Easy, works with your natural tones and highlights. . .

--------------------

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tom and Tahna, I think you are both in the GTA, did you know that the ROM is have an exhibition of the Two Towers stuff, I believe it starts Oct 31.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

newark
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for newark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There were elements of the first book I which had been left in. An example is when Frodo is at Armen Hen and sees the armies of the Dark Lord massing to the east and to the south. If you go by the film alone, you might think that the Dark Lord has only an army of Orcs. I think by showing the armies massing we see his power over men.

The biggest issue I have with the trilogy is the removal of the Scouring of the Shire. According to the creators of the film, there wasn't enough time. Yet, interestingly enough, we have forty-five minutes of the Battle of the Helm. Couldn't they have trimmed this battle down? This is the longest I have ever heard of for a battle in a motion picture.

I feel the Scouring of the Shire is important for it shows the growth of the four hobbits and the fading of Frodo near to the time he leaves for the West. Instead, as I read right, we are going to see an epilogue read by Frodon on the fate of Arwen and Aragorn. This is wrong.

If I remember the books correctly, the focus was on the hobbits. This is their story of how four of their own help to defeat the Dark Lord and his servants. This is the myth story of England-how a pastoral people defended their small oasis from the dangers of the outside world. For the story to change focus as is being seen in the movies, I think is a disservice to Tolkein's vision. We are now seeing the events through another people's eyes-perhaps one of the friendlier European countries to England if we follow Tolkein's intentions.

Another issue I have is how Peter Jackson and his people are handling the story of Frodo. My understanding of the story is that Frodo was gaining the grace of the Elves. When Sam sees Frodo on Mt. Doom, he envisions an ethereal light surrounding Frodo. This light is seen on the Elves. This suggests for me that Frodo is developing a higher elevated being-a being closer to the Elves than any other living being in
Middle Earth. And this is why Scouring of the Shire is important to Frodo's character. He is disinterested in the retaking of the Shire for the Shire has lessened for him in some respect. In the beginning, we see his fondness for the shire. In the end, we see his disconnect with his former home and his need to leave the Shire behind.

Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If Tolkien says a female elf can hack a troll apart with her weird looking sword, I'll believe him. After all, the book also features midgets that can run fast and stuff like talking trees, so examples of women being capable warriors in the real world aside, I think he was making stuff up.
Lee
Member # 393

They've taken out the Scouring of the Shire? Bastards!

--------------------

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What Sam saw in Galadriel's mirror, and should've been there to see in the movie, was the scouring of the Shire.

Instead, we had Frodo, seeing some people in chains, and also Sam among them!
This situation was shown much more brutal and serious than the real oppression by "Sharkey", which although unfair and harsh was NOT putting the town under siege, IMO.
Furthermore, it was taken by Sharkey's ruffians, who were men, not orcs.

I also heard some rumor about Saruman getting killed in TTT! What the shit is this?

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forty-five minutes for the battle at Helm's Deep? In the edition of the book that I have, it takes up barely over nine pages. Out of 323. Not even 3%. And I don't think the movie is going to be 25 hours long.
EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
see? bad movies!
IP: Logged
newark
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for newark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a photo of Saruman impaled on one of his contraptions. I have seen the photo on OneRing.Net. I read two possibilities tied to the photo-a gag to quiet rumor mongers on the set, or an actual scene from the film. I know this much-Saruman is fated to die in the film. He does not go to the Shire.

Furthermore, the second movie ends just before Sam and Frodo enter the lair of Shelob.

Additional info on the battle-
Legolas slides down a staircase into battle. A hundred elves fight at Helm's Deep and die.

The battle will have uninterrupted footage.

These are rumors. However, there is strong evidence for them occuring.

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WHAT THE FUCK!?!!?
if Peter Jackson wanted to do this kinda shit, why didn't he just come out with an original fantasy universe of his own? well, maybe he did, because this sure as hell is tLotR.

P.S. how do you change text size on this site? the UBB code i know didn't work.

IP: Logged
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, while I have issues w/ Fellowship, it wasn't utter crap. However, if these rumors about Towers are true, I may not be able to say the same for it...

[ October 09, 2002, 22:48: Message edited by: TSN ]

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps