Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » B5: A minor question (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: B5: A minor question
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"does anyone we know later on have the soul of Dukhat, as Sinclair had the soul of Valen?"

The problem w/ this question is that there's no analogy. Sinclair didn't "have Valen's soul". He was Valen.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good point. So other than Sinclair, there's really no "proof" of the reincarnation of the soul.

Figures, especially since JMS was an atheist, he'd probably not add much definitive proof of any specific philosophy.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The yound David Sheridan would be part Minbari? I don't know - one would assume. Maybe this was the beginning of the journey to how that 1000000 in the future human looked. He (when in corporeal form) looked Human and Minbari.

Also, there was a line of thought that the Minbari that had facial hair: Lenonn, Dukhat, Draal etc. Had Human genes from Valen.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course David would have some Minbari features! We already know that Sinclair's Human DNA survived the trip through the Triluminary and was passed on to his kids. Therefore, it stands to reason that Delenn still has her Minbari heritage. They always referred to her as a HYBRID, remember. Otherwise, wouldn't her head bone have fallen off when she hatched from the chrysalis?

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It didn't fall off, but it came off enough for her new hair to pass through...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was bone? I always thought it was rubber, myself.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought the rubber went over the bone!?! ;o)

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
Good point. So other than Sinclair, there's really no "proof" of the reincarnation of the soul.

I thought they explained that at the beginning of season two. When Lennier was telling Sheridan and Ivanova about the Battle of the Line in the first episode, wasn't there a line that mentioned they tested other humans after the Triluminary glowed for Sinclair? (I could be wrong; it's been a while since I saw the episode).

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought I heard that too. That they took other humans from ships on the Line and tested them. Which is actually quite ominous - no other pilots reported having periods of lost time; maybe said pilots were found to not have Minbari souls and as a result it was judged more convenient to just dispose of them. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

Actually, no -- they tested other Human pilots and found that some of them DID have Minbari souls, which confirmed their belief that Minbari souls were being reborn in Humans.

I guess the question now is, just what did the Triluminary glow in response to? (Assuming that the Triluminary was also used to test the unseen Human pilots.) Sinclair's DNA makes sense for Sinclair himself and Delenn... but what about the other Human pilots? I doubt that they were relatives of Sinclair.

--------------------

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, in a sense they might be.

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Triluminary may have just been responding to human DNA since it was configured for a human to Mimbari transformation.
I assume that the way Delen set it up somehow reversed the process.
Also, wasn't it also mentioned that there were three triluminaries, if so where did the other two come from, if not the great machine?

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Lee
Member # 393

Maybe that's the ultimate function of the Triluminaries - to effect the conversion from one species to the other. They can detect the presence of Minbari souls in humans, or human DNA in Minbari mainly to, in effect, say "Yes! There's something here I can work with!" Cobble that together with a set of Minbari Isolinear Tarot Cards™, and away they go.

What's not clear is what happens to the little triangular beasties afterward. Perhaps it's a one-shot deal: Delenn used one, Sinclair used another; I like to think that perhaps the third was used by Catherine Sakai since one of the approved-by-JMS comics suggests she fell into an Anomaly Of The Week, became Lost In Time And Space (and meaning?), and was eventually reunited with Valen.

--------------------

Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Minbari Isolinear Tarot Cards�
I would SO buy those.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

quote:
Originally posted by Vogon Poet:
What's not clear is what happens to the little triangular beasties afterward. Perhaps it's a one-shot deal: Delenn used one, Sinclair used another; I like to think that perhaps the third was used by Catherine Sakai since one of the approved-by-JMS comics suggests she fell into an Anomaly Of The Week, became Lost In Time And Space (and meaning?), and was eventually reunited with Valen.

Actually, the idea was originally started in one of the novels, "To Dream in the City of Sorrows."

Basic summary (with spoilers): Basically, Catherine Sakai ended up joining the Rangers a few months after Sinclair went to Minbar. She went on a mission with him and Marcus that involved the same temporal anomaly in Sector 14 near B5. I think they were trying to keep some Shadow scoutships away from the portal or something, but I don't remember for certain. Anyway, Sakai fell into the portal and was Lost In Space And Time.

The novel ended with Marcus finding a letter from Sinclair (after Sinclair finally went back in time to become Valen) that basically said, "Thanks from both of us." The letter was on a piece of ancient parchment, so it was left ambiguous whether the letter had been written by Sinclair only recently, or by Sinclair-as-Valen a thousand years ago (with the implication that he'd found Sakai in the past).

However, I've never heard any more firm information on the True Fate of Sakai one way or the other -- I think JMS wants it to remain ambiguous. It's more interesting that way.

--------------------

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps