Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » B5: A minor question (Page 5)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: B5: A minor question
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're confusing a character's rank with their position within the show.
Even if Ivanova stayed and took command of the station the primary character of the series would still have been Sheridan with or without Lochley.
As for Corwin, yes in theory he could get a promotion and take over Ivanova's old job as station XO, not that his rank matters of course because that's exactly what he ended up doing.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, if you pay attention during the fifth season, Corwin (and many of the other officers) are still wearing the Army of Light uniforms instead of the old EarthForce uniforms -- meaning that not all of them decided to re-enlist. For the fifth season, B5 was kind of in administrative limbo -- the EA didn't completely take back control, but the station hadn't officially been bought by the ISA either. (Even though it was the de facto capital!)

Most of that was explained in the first episode of the season when Lochley came on board.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reverend: Yes, JMS could've chosen a nameless character for the new Captain, then decided to focus on Corwin as much as Ivanova in the earlier seasons. However, the point was to continue the intended story as much as possible, and having nobody important in Ivanova's place would've probably dirupted things quite a bit.

I don't know why people think that B5's fifth season wasn't meant to exist. Only parts of the fifth season were moved into the fourth, not the whole thing.

Boris

[ November 18, 2002, 15:29: Message edited by: Boris ]

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked season 5. Maybe not Lochley too much. I actually liked what's his name - long haired telepath's story line.

Season 5 - because of it's uncertainty and the loss of Claudia made it a bit topsy turvy.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok; I haven't seen B5 for absolutely ages and even then I only watched occasionally (and hence didn't usually have a clue about what was going on. Then again I was about 7); I did buy In the Beginning recently and quite enjoyed it, so I wa just wondering if you guys think it's worth trying to get my hands on videos/DVDs of the series.

Thanks.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My advice:

Yes, under certain conditions. You should start with The Gathering and watch the first season through the end, at which time you'll either be hooked or you won't. B5 takes a long time to introduce, but it's worth it.

If you aren't hooked by the middle of the second season, not to mention the end, then you probably won't like B5. Of course, the mystery and the surprises will be slightly diminished since you've seen "In the Beginning"; then again, season one might end up being less boring as a result, and there's a lot that has to happen.

Don't watch "In the Beginning" or "Thirdspace" until you're through with the first four seasons, and don't watch "The River of Souls" and "A Call to Arms" until you're through with the entire show. Then, you can go on to Crusade and Legend of the Rangers.

As for the novels, definitely read "To Dream in the City of Sorrows" (99% canonical) after you've seen the first three seasons. Other novels worth reading are "The Shadow Within" (to be read after season three), the Psi Corps Trilogy, the Centauri Prime Trilogy, and the Technomage Trilogy (to be read after-season five). They're all fairly canonical because JMS wrote their outlines, although none come close to "To Dream in the City of Sorrows", which he checked line-by-line.

There are a few canonical comics here and there, but they are pretty hard to find and much of their subjects were covered onscreen likewise.

Boris

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm trying to get my wife to watch B5. The fact that it's got Kenickie in it is a big plus for her (saw a programme on TV about the stars of Grease this evening, she even said "phwoar" when she saw what Jeff Conaway looks like today), but there's no Zack Allan until s2, and I don't want to confuse her by showing her a Sheridan ep before she sees the Sinclair ones. . . What s2 ep should I show her? My best estimate is probably either "Midnight on the Firing Line" (which has the benefit of being the actual first ep) or "Parliament of Dreams" because that bit at the end had a real effect on me first time round.

But definitely not "The Gathering," no way. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, for fuck's sake, what is the fucking matter with my PC (or whatever the fuck is causing this double-posting) at the moment?

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Midnight on the Firing Line" is a good intro to the political situation on B5. Not the best storyline -- especially the too-convenient ending with the Narns supplying the pirates -- but still good.

"Parliament of Dreams" is a great character ep and an all-around intro to each of the major races of the show. Vorlons excepted, of course.

"Mind War" is a great choice if your wife is also a Star Trek fan because of Walter Koenig, and it's also great for its intrigue.

"And the Sky Full of Stars" got the ball rolling on the Sinclair storyline, and thus is basically the real beginning of the series arc as a whole.

It's not really an arc episode by any means, but "Soul Hunter" actually caught my attention more than "Midnight" did.

I guess this depends on how many B5 eps you want to show her to get her hooked, but if I were to pick just one, I might actually suggest "Signs and Portents." It's a bit cheesy in a few places and relies a little on the background of previous episodes, but has some great mystery and I still get shivers down my spine whenever Ed Wasser walks on the screen.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

Lee
Member # 393

A Trek fan? I, er, wouldn't go that far. I want to avoid arc-heavy eps because that'll just remind her of the X-Files that we both watched but then gave up on. Which rules out many of my standout eps from s1 - "Voice in the Wilderness," "Babylon Squared" and of course "Infection." 8)

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

Well, if you want to avoid the arc stuff, then I'd strongly recommend "Soul Hunter." It's a great non-arc story that has some meaty philosophy and several alien perspectives on a topic that's caused great strife for millennia.

"Infection"... heh. If there was ONE episode of B5 or Crusade that I truly did NOT like, it was that one. Jeez, was that horrible!

--------------------

Boris
Member # 713

One really has to see several episodes in a row, preferably starting from The Gathering, otherwise it's hard to form an accurate opinion about the underlying story and character relationships. Even if the new viewer goes past the low-quality CGI, she risks being confused by the current episode because the previous pieces are missing (or enjoying just the B-story without fully understanding the A-story).

It's better to start from "The Gathering", and to watch as many episodes in a row as possible, preferably with few interruptions.

Boris

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boris: I don't think you're quite getting the difference between "Hardcore sci-fi fan" and "normal person who might want to watch a TV show and not look up stuff on the internet about it".

I'd skip The Gathering, because it is a bit dull. I also get the point of the arc stuff from the X-Files, but there is a fair difference between them. The X-Files set stuff up, and then more stuff, and then more stuff, and continued until you realised that NOTHING WAS EVER GOING TO HAPPEN. Whereas with B5, well, it does.

When I got people to watch B5, I generally tried to get through season 1 as quickly as possible. But in any case, I'd start with Midnight on the Firing Line, since it does work as an "introduction" episode, it showcases most of the characters, the set-up, and it isn't bad, really. After that, just go through them one by one and say either "Is this important?", or "is this any good?"

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked the episode where the bald alien chick got hair.

Show it with care, though.

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm, for a quick introduction into B5 working only with S1. (for the casual viewer)

Midnight on the Firing Line: View. Have to agree with others, this is a good introductory episode...moreso than "The Gathering" because they won't have to deal with confusing cast changes.

Soul Hunter: Skip. Interesting, but not really too special.
Born to the Purple: Skip. Good for the Londo fans, but not for a casual viewer. Although it gives insight into his character, its nothing that other episodes don't do better.
Infection: Skip.

The Parliament of Dreams: Interesting and amusing. Probably view.
Mind War: View, especially for the Trek fans. If in a hurry, view after watching the rest of S1 (excepting Chrysalis) since its really setting up material for later seasons.

The War Prayer: Skip.

And the Sky Full of Stars: The first definitely view. Sets up the whole Minbari war act, Valen, etc.

Deathwalker: Skip. Amusing end, not totally necessary.
Believers: Probably skip. Very amusing and thought provoking end, definitely nothing you'll see in Star Trek...but again, not very necessary.
Survivors: Skip. Homeguard into, but Chyrsalis will do that with more style for the casual viewer.
By Any Means Necessary: Skip. Seems to setup threads that aren't followed up anyways.

Signs and Portents: Must view. Enough said. [Smile]

TKO: Skip. One nice line for the fans, but blah to the rest.
Grail: Skip. Lukewarm reaction. *shrug*
Eyes: 50-50. Helps roundout Survivors and Chysalis, but eh. Its got a pre-Weyoun Weyoun though. Might help with the DS9 fans [Wink]
Legacies: Skip. Introduction of Nerron, but nothing that can't be picked up.

A Voice in the Wilderness (I and II): Maybe, sets up later seasons. Same idea as Mind War.

Babylon Squared: Definitely. Especially if you put it after "And a Sky Full of Stars" Heh. Mess with their heads.

The Quality of Mercy: Skip. Seems to be here just to setup Marcus' eventual *cough*.

Chrysalis: Definitely View. Enough Said.

Final Tally:
5 Must View: Midnight, Sky Full of Stars, Signs and Portents, Babylon Squared, Chyrsalis.

4 Necessary for later: (if the first four "must view" go over well): Parliament, Mid War, Wilderness I and II

3 for the surprisingly enthusiastic: Legacies, Deathwalker, Believers, Eyes

Not bad. A quick intro to the best science fiction TV show in under four "must view hours." Not bad [Smile]

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps