Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » B5: A minor question (Page 4)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: B5: A minor question
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, she did end up as Entil'zha...

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*sigh* Would have loved to have seen the whole series as it was supposed to be - but then again wouldn't that have involved the cast of the Pilot?

Everything as it should have been. BUT the series could have been a bucket of crap if that was the case - but I think not, not on the strength of the latter half of Season 1. Look at Chrysalis!!

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but also look at a lot of other season 1 episodes, which were often poo.

JMS also once said that the reason Sinclair was gotten rid of was that burdening him with Valen's soul, AND a Shadow connection would have been too much.

Personally, I think that he realised that O Hare was just a bit too...laid back, and that he needed someone a bit fore pro-active. And ginger.

I think that since he chose for Sinclair to depart, it probably strengthened the series overall. Compared to Ivonova leaving, which just messed everything up.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a bit dubious about the possibility of a Sinclair-Delenn romance. But you never know. As for the third One, I suspect that we can probably see what was left of that role in Marcus Cole.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I understand it, the financial backers of Babylon 5 wanted Sinclair gone. They're also responsible for the "teeny-bopper" fighter pilot who showed up, joined the main cast, then got lost between jumpgates.

Take what you hear from JMS with a grain of salt.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keffer was fairly useless, sure, but, uh, it had been a long time since he had seen his teenage years. You so crazy!

Also, main cast?

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keffer was on the main cast because he got a listing in the opening credits for all of Season Two. A novelty in sci-fi, really -- a redshirt character in the main credits! [Wink] (That's all Keffer ever was, really -- a glorified redshirt who was looking for the Shadows.)

As for O'Hare's departure... I guess it depends on whether or not you believe JMS. He's said in unequivocal terms that the departure was an "amicable" and "mutual" decision.

Regarding the part about not loading EVERYTHING onto Sinclair (Valen, Shadow War, Earth Civil War, and Alliance President), I think that's JMS trying to put a positive spin on that part of the issue and the changes he ended up making.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, according to what he has said, JMS did plan for even the worst case you're suggesting (networks wanting Sinclair gone despite JMS' stringent objections). Like any other character, Sinclair had a trapdoor just in case. The B5 story ideally shouldn't depend on any one character, as opposed to shows which ideally do depend on certain characters.

Now, whether or not he was successful is up to the viewer to decide, but this kind of planning did allow the show to last five years, as opposed to its getting cancelled at the end of season two or three.

Boris

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The show was almost cancelled at the end of season four. JMS went so far has filming "Sleeping in Light." That's why Ivanova is in the episode, with no mention of Lochley. It was how he wanted to end the show, so it was filmed. Luckily, they were given the go for season five.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Luckily" being a matter of opinion...

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re: What if Sinclair never left. There's some interesting speculation at The Babylon-5: That Never Was, although some of it seems overdone in my opinion.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think Lochley should have turned up. Infact she was better on Crusade.

They should have just promoted Lt. Corwin.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lochley replaced Sheridan, not Ivanova, as the Earthforce officer in charge of the station. Corwin was the one who replaced Ivanova. He couldn't have jumped two ranks to replace Sheridan.

Boris

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you'll find that Lochley did infact replace Ivanova since when Sheridan promoted her to Captain and left Earth Force it seams logical that Ivanova was intended to take command of the station. When Claudia decided she didn't want to stay on for Season 5 then they replaced her character with Lochley and stuch Ivanova out of sight on her own ship.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Boris
Member # 713

Ivanova never was station captain as far as we could see; Lochley replaced Sheridan directly. Even if she was the Captain for five days, you're merely distracting from the actual argument, which is that Corwin couldn't have filled Lochley's shoes.

Boris

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps