Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Stargate SG1 Question(s) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Stargate SG1 Question(s)
akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Firstly I'd like to apologise if I am repeating old stuff - tried the search but it came up with nothing.

OK, the question(s):

What is all this stuff about P4C-970? I've been catching up on my taped episodes of Stargate (the latest 2 - keep forgeting to set the damned video) and I don't get the reference to it. Which episode did they go to that place and why is it significant that they don't go there?

If someone could please enlighten me I'd appreciate it as I plan on joining my new local video store and renting the videos/DVDs and do a lot of catching up (like from the start).

-AK

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spoilers!

Go here: http://www.gateworld.net/sg1/s4/416.shtml
And here: http://www.gateworld.net/sg1/s5/510.shtml

Gateworld is basically *the* place to go for your SG-1 needs.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If this is Pre season 6 "The Other Guys" I might be able to help.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought this was one of the cooler continuing storylines. I thought it was neat how these guys kept popping up. I haven't seen any of the most current episodes, so I don't knwo if they pop up again or not.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh! That episode! I think that I saw the ending of that. How could I have forgotten it?

Thank folks! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

I still intend to go back and watch it all from the beginning - catch up on all the fun! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Commander Dan
Member # 558

- posted      Profile for Commander Dan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can someone tell me whatever happened to the Antarctic DHD? The last time I saw it was in the second season episode Touchstone. I would have thought that it would have been secured along with the Antarctic gate, yet in the fifth season episode 48 Hours, the SGC borrows the Russian DHD.

--------------------
“My experience with Rick Berman is, you know, he does not understand what he's doing, he does not understand science fiction.”
-- Andrew Probert

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Russian DHD they borrowed was the DHD from the original Stagate recovered at Giza. The Russians got it from the Germans at the end of the war.

I'm not sure what happened to the Antarctic DHD, as I've not seen all the episodes. However, I believe the Russians have the DHD to the Stargate that the SGC is currently using. Therefore they would need the correct DHD to operate their gate.

I think.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope; they made a goof in "48 Hours" by forgetting they had the Antarctic DHD, and made an offhand comment in a later episode that they had it, but that it had degraded and run out of power in the interm (since the NID last used it).

Mark

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

So, can any DHD run any Stargate, or do you have to have a matching pair?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think it's ever come up. We don't tote gates around THAT often.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Fair point.

Well, at least they corrected the 48 Hours flub later on.

Anyone ever notice that, in the movie, not only is there no DHD on Abydos, but there is no means whatsoever of dialing out. But then, in the series, there is a DHD in the center of the room where the Gate is located.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Assuming that the Gate Room on Abidos is about the size of the base of a pyramid - there is plenty of room for one in an ante chamber (supposition).

Or it might have been destroyed.

Either might make sense, as Ra wouldn't want his slaves accessing the system.

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if Ra had destroyed the DHD, how did they dial out to leave at the end?

BTW, the book continuity is kinda vague on it as far as I've read, but it looks like in them you just manually turn the wheel and lock the chevrons by hand. How exactly you're supposed to reach the one that's 25' in the air, I really don't know. The original creators of the movie didn't think that part out too well, apparently.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What DHD did they use in that episode where Teal'c gets stuck in transit? Was it the "matching" one?
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Nope; at the time they were using the Antarctic gate, which they eventually lost at the top of season 6. The Russians had the Giza gate in cold storage, not being able to afford their own program.

The (inferior IMO) novels usually mentioned someone merely "realigning" the gate without really explaining how. But in order to fit the DHD into the movie continuity, it could always have been merely tucked around a corner or in a closet somewhere. There is no physical connection between the gate and DHD, and both can be moved pretty much at will (see "Touchstone" for when the DHD was used from the back of a truck!). There's probably a range limit of some sort, but this is hardly explored. the SGC has complete plans for the DHD courtesy of the super smart O'Neil in "The Fifth Race", but no means to build one themselves. Only the Tollans have shown the ability to build new stargates.

Mark

--------------------

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps