Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Stargate SG1 Question(s) (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Stargate SG1 Question(s)
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found it interesting to learn on one of the documentaries that, early on, the vortex effect was created by filming a jet engine turn on under water. Later on, they switched to CGI. I just thought that was cool.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry I have been staying away from this thread in-case of season 6 (past "The Other Guys") and season 7 spoilers. Are there any in this thread - at all?

Anyway I just saw one post about the Antarctic gate. It had nothing to do with the Goa'uld. The Stargate network was set-up by the Ancients. The Goa'uld just found the tech and exploited it. Maybe they specifically brough the Giza Gate to Earth or maybe they sent a Jaffa through to the Earth Co-ordinates when there was only the Ice-cave and gave up. Or possibly it was superceeded by the Giza gate - although the Antarctic gate DID have DHD as well (so that would have been the over-riding gate for Earth. BUT it *DID* have a different 'home' chevron/glyph for some reason.

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not sure if the Goa'uld knew about the Antarctic gate - but it is sure they did use it, even if just by accident. "Frozen" mentions several Jaffa corpses all around the gate. IIRC, no estimate is given to their age, as opposed to giving the ages of the gate and the possible

(
D
o

o
l
d

S
G
-

e
p
s

n
e
e
d

s
p
o
i
l
e
r

s
p
a
c
e
?
)

possible Ancient they find. If Ancients were early humans, then does this mean they were born on Earth? Would the Antarctic gate be one of the oldest around, perhaps even the first one built?

Timo Saloniemi

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well... the Ancients would have had to have developed space travel before Stargate travel. They would have had to have set up the Stargate network before being able to use it.

Now... in the Ep where they discovered the Beta Gate, someone asks Teal'c what would happen if a Gate on an important planet became unusable, or something. He responds by saying that the Goaul'd would bring another, I believe. So, it would seem that the Giza gate is not originally from Earth but was brought after the Beta Gate became non-functional. Perhaps a cave in or glacier shift covered the Gate trapping and killing the Jaffa.

Man... I was I had this ep on DVD... anyone know of a site that would have the script of this episode?

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry can't help you out about scripts Aban. Can anyone tell me if my question about any season 6 or 7 spoilers are in this thread?

There also has to be a way for some of the other Goa'uld to leave earth AFTER the Giza rebellion (as mentioned by Daniel Jackson). Some of them represent cultures that came AFTER the Egyptian gods and AFTER Ra and his buddies were kicked out. And if they brought a ship back - why not just take over the planet again?

Maybe the Asgard had some hand in booting Ra and co. off Earth helping the Humans at the time?

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

I don't think there have been any spoilers past season 5. We talked about the episode 48 Hours, and I think that's the latest ep we've touched on.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

OK, I'll try and keep any talk about SG1 before "48 hours". That's when Teal'c was trapped in the gate - wasn't it?

Andrew

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Maybe we only got the whirl-pool effect in the movie as the gate hadn't been activated in a very long time... well since 1969.

--------------------

Commander Dan
Member # 558

- posted      Profile for Commander Dan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, as I recall, we only get a brief glimpse of the vortex/whirlpool effect in the movie. That being the case, one might conclude that the vortex is only briefly present after activation, and then flattens out; perhaps a brief “after-effect” that occurs after the initial “whoosh” collapses on the front of the gate.

However, this theory is shot if the TV series has shown the back of the gate when it is activated. Has the back of the gate ever been seen at the instant of activation?

In reality, I am curious to know if the “vortex” effect was something the TV show producers overlooked, or if they consciously chose to drop the vortex effect on the TV series.

--------------------
“My experience with Rick Berman is, you know, he does not understand what he's doing, he does not understand science fiction.”
-- Andrew Probert

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"However, this theory is shot if the TV series has shown the back of the gate when it is activated. Has the back of the gate ever been seen at the instant of activation?"

Yep.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

My guess would be that the series producers simplified several effects issues due to budget.

For instance, instead of having the cool, fold away, Horus Guard type helmets, we got silly, pop-open, pain in the ass to wear, Snake Guard helmets.

Fortunately, we still got lots of nice shots of the glowy Goual'd eyes though.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the flipside, we haven't seen a single Jaffa helmet in use for several years. The last time we even really saw 'em was hanging as trophies or something in season five's "The Warrior". Other than that, it's been skullcaps all the way.

Obviously they were abandoned as being too costly to operate all the time, or probably too cumbersome for large number of extras or for running around a lot. Those things are awful top heavy...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most of the galaxy seems to be out to kill all the Gowaould' so maybe they don't have the resources they once had, and can't afford the helmets for Jaffa, who are going to die anyway.

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

We DO get to see the Apophis snake-head helmet collapse every-now and then. I remember it especially in Season 1 and in season 2 with Master Bra'tak on Klorel's ship. And a few times after that. Admittedly we don't see it ALL the time - but we do see it.

We don't see the Horus guard's do it. (well not yet).

I wish they'd make some helmets for some of the other Goa'uld. Hheh heheh the Setesh guards! [Smile]

The only time I can remember the whirlpool effect being shown in the TV series is the episode with the Black-hole.

So that was my suggestion - maybe the whirlpool at the back only happens after the gate hasn't been activated for many-a-year. Explaining why we've only really seen it happen in the movie.

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

I know we've seen Horus Guard helmets... but I can't remember if we've seen them fold up in the series. I thought we had a couple of times.

But I don't remember ever seeing a snake guard's helmet fold... even Apophis'. I thought it just kind of popped open.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps