Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Stargate SG1 Question(s) (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Stargate SG1 Question(s)
Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
But I don't remember ever seeing a snake guard's helmet fold... even Apophis'. I thought it just kind of popped open.

In the SG-1 Pilot episode we see Teal'c's helmet fold up all the way, IIRC. I think it's in the scene towards the end of the episode where they 're in the large room in the castle, just before Apophis orders him to kill everyone in the room - which was a waste of resources, IMO.
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We see the Horus guard helmet retract in two epsiodes. Once is off-screen while people react to it (Heru'ur's helmet in "Thor's Chariot"), and the other is the only one we actually get to see work (Teal'c's borrowed helmet in "Secrets"). The Serpent guard helmet is also fully retractible, but is only ever seen doing so offscreen.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
We see the Horus guard helmet retract in two epsiodes. Once is off-screen while people react to it (Heru'ur's helmet in "Thor's Chariot"), and the other is the only one we actually get to see work (Teal'c's borrowed helmet in "Secrets"). The Serpent guard helmet is also fully retractible, but is only ever seen doing so offscreen.

Mark

That is a LIE and you KNOW IT!!

We have several times seen the Serpant Guard helmet collapse. One was Apophis' own gold version. We've seen Teal'c and Bratak's collapse - "Within the Serpants Grasp" = or what ever season 2's first episode is called. Most definately seen several times. I don't EVER recall the Horus guard helmet collapsing in the TV series - but it most definately did during the Movie.

I'd like to know what some of the other Goa'uld system lord helmets are. There is the ONE Anubis helmet from the movie. (Probably kept by Ra when they kicked out Anubis). Secondly there is the mention by Teal'c of the Setesh guard's helmet... it's nose drips! [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Little late. You Stargate fans should turn on "Highlander" on TNN -- the episode is "Return of Amanda", and two of the guest-stars are Don S. Davis and Robert Wisden.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And just yesterday was "The Zone" - reputed by the fans as the worst Highlander episode ever... But with a pointless flashback featuring Michael Shanks. Robert Wisden shows up several seasons later as the Immortal William Culbraith. Amongst the many, many other SG-1/HL crossovers include Technician Davis showing up as a hotel clerk, and Prometheus CO Colonel Ronson as the Immortals Howard Crowley and Gerard Kragen (getting killed both times, natch). God bless the limited Vancouver actor pool. [Smile]

Andrew, I know what I'm talking. What I mean is that we've never seen the Serpent Guard helmet FULLY retract onscreen - like the Horus Guard helmet, it is capable of fully retracting into the collar of the armor. We have only ever seen it PARTIALLY retract on several occasions. It has fully retracted only offscreen. The Horus Guard helmet is seen retracting in the two instances I described.

Mark

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yah, that's what I was gettign at too... I assume that all Jaffa helmets are capabable of fully retracting, but I don't recall ever actually seeing the CGI of the serpent guard helmet doing so. I was saying that they producers had to come up with a way for the helmets to open and show the actors' faces without having to do a CGI of the thing folding down all the time like in the movie. That's where we get the pop-open effect of the serpent helmets from, I think.

Now.. as far as the helmets we saw in the movie, they weren't all Horus guard helmets were they? I assumed that was because, when the movie was made, the different Jaffa that Ra had working for him were supposed to be where all the different Egyptian gods came from, right? There were no other Go'auld at that point... so Ra was Ra...and the Jaffa with the helmets were Horus and Anubis and whoever else the Egyptians believed in... yes?

Of course, that's different now that we know there are more than one Go'auld.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK I see - all the way into the collar - i.e. disappearing - no I don't think we have seen that - or have we??

About the Horus guard and Anubis guard - it works easier going backwards from the series. I actually didn't really like the movie before I saw and fell in love with the series. After I had seen up to about season 3 or 4 - I decided to give the movie a go again. It is MUCH better when viewed after the series - and taking the series 'events' as 'canon' if you will and re-interpreting them backwards.

Anyway - going backwards a simple explanation for the Horus and Anubis guards.

1. Horus or Heru'ur was the son of Ra and Hathor. I presume that Ra AND Heru'ur would have Horus guards as their 'guards'.

2. Ra has representatives of all types of Jaffa? (I doubt this)

3. He absorbed the Anubis guard (which in the movie, yes was supposed to be Anubis himself) - after Anubis (the system lord) was exiled by the rest of the System Lords.

As I've mentioned - it'd be interesting to see other 'guards'. I mean what 'helmet' would Hathor's Jaffa or Yu's Jaffa have?

--------------------

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the movie, we saw very expensive CGI of the helmets dissapearing into amulets. In the TV Show, they just used props that open, but not with any CGI. After Apophis died... about the third time... they stopped using helmets at all and didn't give them to any other system Lords.

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I mean what 'helmet' would Hathor's Jaffa or Yu's Jaffa have?

Cats and dragons, I'd wager. Which would be very amusing to see. [Smile]

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Given the lack of Apophis and the subsequent proliferation of other system lords in his place, it makes sense not to see many Jaffa helmets of the serpent variety at least. It'd be cool so see what Yu or Baal or any of the remaining "big seven" system lords had for helmets. Hey, maybe they just didn't like using them anyway? That just Ra (and Heru'ur), Apophis and Setesh really liked using them?

Mark

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
And just yesterday was "The Zone" - reputed by the fans as the worst Highlander episode ever...
It was still better than the majority of season one episodes! [Big Grin]

quote:
Prometheus CO Colonel Ronson as the Immortals Howard Crowley and Gerard Kragen (getting killed both times, natch).
He's also listed under "The Revolutionary" -- I guess they decided he'd had his head chopped off one too many times [Big Grin]

quote:
God bless the limited Vancouver actor pool.
And locations. I read somewhere that the cast & crew of the X-Files would go up against the cast & crew of Highlander for volleyball games, every now & then. I saw a repeat of an SG1 episode on sci-fi a while back, where Sam has to take a little girl deep into an abandoned nuclear silo for fear she's going to blow up. The corridor where the rest of the team waits (where the elevator opens) was used for a swordfight in the episode "The Colonel", after MacLeod escapes a cell he was supposed to spend seventy years in ... (Killian is jumping from rafter to rafter, with MacLeod below) the "safe room" where Sam was with the girl, was the cell (if memory serves, the SG1 crew shot the cell so that the bars weren't seen). The infamous alley, where Joe and MacLeod spoke in "The Hunters" was also featured in at least one episode of "X-Files."

Hah. I don't know why I'm mentioning THIS (especially since it was shot in Paris), but do you remember the episode "Methos"? For the 1920 flashback sword fight between MacLeod and Kalas, the crew had rented a ballroom of this gorgeous chateau. The swordmaster (McAsh) had worked out this elaborate sword-fight to steer around the chandeliers and other breakable items. They get there to shoot -- and someone had WAXED the floor. The entire sword fight had to be improvised on the spot, and there's footage of Kalas coming in for a lunge on MacLeod, slipping, and just sort of falling out of frame. Cool AND scary stuff!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

John Novak did a lot of looping in Highlander - he redubbed the voices of more than half of male characters that needed vocal replacement due to wind, poor performance, etc. He's credited for a reporter in "The Revolutionary", but I think it's only his voice. You can currently see him in a bunch of beer ads as a moustached park warden facing down bigfoot. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Anyway - going backwards a simple explanation for the Horus and Anubis guards.

1. Horus or Heru'ur was the son of Ra and Hathor. I presume that Ra AND Heru'ur would have Horus guards as their 'guards'.

As I recall it is specifically mentioned by Teal'c that the Horus guards are the guards for Ra's royal family, presumably this included Hathor and any of Ra's other offspring.

quote:
Now.. as far as the helmets we saw in the movie, they weren't all Horus guard helmets were they? I assumed that was because, when the movie was made, the different Jaffa that Ra had working for him was supposed to be where all the different Egyptian gods came from, right? There were no other Go'auld at that point... so Ra was Ra...and the Jaffa with the helmets were Horus and Anubis and whoever else the Egyptians believed in... yes?
To my knowledge that wasn't exactly what the Movie makers intended because if you have the DVD with the deleted scenes you'll know that they originally filmed two scenes that portrayed a pair of fossilised Horus and Anubis Guards. The guards were apparently sent through the Stargate from Abydos after it was sealed, materialising them within solid rock (this was before the use of the iris changed the physics involved slightly). They were seen once in Egypt after they raised the gate and once in the mountain complex when O'Neal (Russell) visits them just before going on the mission.
While it's certainly possible that new masks could be made and that who ever Ra chose to wear the masks would be considered that god by the Abydonians (remember how surprised they were by Anubis's human face?) it should be noted that the guards weren't meant to be "actual" gods like Ra but his god-like servants.

Not that it has much bearing on the discussion but I don't think that Ra was ever supposed to appear in that movie and that originally that young man was just a human that the real Ra (a proper alien) took and kept alive to rule in his stead. The bit about the parasite needing a host was made up at the last minute by giggling around some dialogue. Which also means that the Jaffa were also meant to be pouch-less humans who were raised in Ra's court (ever wonder what all those kids were for?).

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've read the first two books in the alternate continuity,

$

$

$

$

$

and from what I understand the idea was that Ra set it up so that there would always be a human holding the position of each god, and each god had their own small army and territory. Ra was the obvious exception, never expecting that he himself would be killed. He also made an exception for (the original?) Hathor, who he kept in stasis for several thousand years without replacing.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

quote:
Originally posted by Omega:
I mean what 'helmet' would Hathor's Jaffa or Yu's Jaffa have?

Cats and dragons, I'd wager. Which would be very amusing to see. [Smile]

Cool! [Smile]

Actually just flipped around and Batman 2 was on - and there is that large cat-head outside that department store that Cat-Woman blows up - that would be quite a funny helment - a big round conical head! [Smile]

Ahhhh yes and Daniel Jackson mentioned something about Yu and the Dragon connection. Maybe the Dragon thing came from the symbiont look!?! [Smile]

OK you did well with those two - what about...

I would say Solkar - but I think they DID have helmets - they weren't exactly helmets but more like elaborate Galifreian head-dresses.

Umm...

Chronos and Nerti

--------------------

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps