Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » {Spoilers $$$} Oh my GOD! I just saw Matrix: Reloaded!!! (Page 4)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: {Spoilers $$$} Oh my GOD! I just saw Matrix: Reloaded!!!
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, so there were six prior Matrices that had Other Ones. The Matrix, in order to work, must be unstable. That instability is channeled in such a way that The One is created, whose code is assimilated into the Source, allowing the non-destructive reboot of the Matrix. Otherwise, the Matrix would collapse, killing the humans and by extension most of the machines. Presumably this will now happen, since Neo did not enter the Source. Zion is also on the verge of being destroyed, thanks to the dude that's been possessed by Agent Smith. This will effectively result in the Death of Everyone.

So what is Smith's motivation? He doesn't work for the AIs any more, but he still seems to want Zion destroyed, and obviously wants Neo dead or controlled. So what does he wish to accomplish? Just "KILL EVERYONE!!!!!!"?

And how did Neo stop the sentinels at the end? Okay, the approaching ship may have sent out an EM pulse, or the machines may have self-destructed to avoid killing The One, but none of that really answers everything. I mean, he personally may not have stopped them, it may have just been a coincidence, but he still said he could feel them, and he fell into a coma immediately thereafter, so it's reasonable to assume that he did it. Perhaps Smith's attempt to infect him actually had some sort of effect? Or is what we think of as reality just another layer of simulation? Are the robots themselves just part of that simulation? Does the universe extend to a place which never ends which is maybe just inside a little jar?

And what of Neo's dreams? How can he have dreams OUTSIDE THE MATRIX that predict the future in the Matrix? Either there's funkyness going on, or he's more under control than he thinks.

And if AIs can be designed like Seraph that are evenly matched with Neo, why can he still beat the snot out of dozens of copies of a standard agent?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It cannot be too far into the future... The date on the Neb says it is made in 2069.

It is logically made before the machines took over. Add some time for the machines to take over and 100 years of rebellion...

2199 sounds like a very good guess to me.

--------------------
"And they had other stuff (...) like pictures of the Vulcan woman on Enterprise."
"OOOOhhh! Uhm, I mean: Nerds!"

- Willow and Xander, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Except that that doesn't leave enough time for Zion to have been rebuilt six times. I say it has to be at least a thousand years in the future. Either those ships are REAL durable, or the machines build more each go-round, just to give the resistance something to do.
ubermetroid
Member # 729

- posted      Profile for ubermetroid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I got the feeling that all that was destroyed when Zion falls are the people. Everything is left for the next batch of people to use.

--------------------
"That's the problem with nature. Something is always stinging you or oozing mucous on you. lets go watch tv." - Calvin & Hobbes

Omega
Member # 91

Hmm... possible. It'd be some cleanup job, but then, rebuilding the whole city in just a couple centuries with minimal manpower would also be very difficult.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All the tunnels toward Zion seen to support the multiple occupation/ rebuilding theory.
I think the machines just decide to kill everyone before Zion turns into one big MTV dance party....

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is no Zion. No one has ever left the Matrix.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and about Smith. His behavior looked like your typical virus to me. Make as many copies as possible, spread everywhere.
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An unorthodox virus, though, as for every newly created copy of Smith, a human plugged into the Matrix is killed. Most viri don't finish off their hosts right after infecting them.

As I see it, there are two explanations for Neo's abilities in the Real World: either everyone's still inside the Matrix and Zion is a built-in repository for the .1% of humanity that rejected the first Matrix, or Neo's brain is the product of six-hundred years of hyperstimulation, and he's inadvertently become the archetype of future human evolution [think mental powers a la the Force - Neo's mind was following the rules of the Matrix (residually) when it sensed the Sentinels, realized it was capable of more, and *poof* disabled them. 'Course, that leetle trick did send Neo into a coma... must've drained a lot of his energy].

Heck, maybe Neo's brain is linked to his Matrix persona via some leftover "footprint" or "echo"?

Revolutions will tell... sooner or later, Revolutions will tell.

[ May 19, 2003, 09:46 AM: Message edited by: Cartmaniac ]

Omega
Member # 91

Could there be some sort of in-between, where Zion really does exist, but what we saw at the end was really just another level of simulation? Say, everyone who went in to shut down the power grid so Neo could access the building, never actually got out?

--------------------

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I suppose... there could actually be an infinite number of layers and we'd never know how deep the rabbit-hole really goes.

Consider: the Matrix is so perfect, most people aren't even aware that they are living in a simulation. It emulates the core of human nature with damn near 100% accuracy. So what is the difference between living in the real world and living in the Matrix? For all intents and purposes, the Matrix IS the real world. The electrical signals interpreted by your brain (computer generated impulses in this case) make up your reality, so how could you distinguish reality from illusion when they are one and the same? What you perceive as real is the translation - so you could be programmed to believe you're in the real world, yet still be part of the Matrix.

If you were hooked up to the Matrix (a mass hallucination) since birth, then outside the Matrix your mind would only be able to comprehend/accept what it experienced on the inside - and flat out reject any other type of "input".

[ May 19, 2003, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: Cartmaniac ]

ubermetroid
Member # 729

- posted      Profile for ubermetroid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol, maybe Neo has a personal Wi-Fi device somewhere one him. There were still at brodcast depth when he did his magic...

--------------------
"That's the problem with nature. Something is always stinging you or oozing mucous on you. lets go watch tv." - Calvin & Hobbes

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nim:

Of course, they could have anyone doing the stunts, really, the rebels train many things besides Kung Fu in the training programs.

Watching the first movie today I noticed that Tank downloaded "Drunken Bar Fighting" into Neo's brain!

[Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan McReynolds:

One more thing, for anyone keeping up with the Animatrix: might the idea of multiple matrices over time (each one lasting, perhaps, a century) explain the weird setting of "Detective Story?"

No I think that there are elements of different times meshed into the Matrix - I noticed watching the first movie today there are an abundance of old types of phones - circa the feel of the "Detective Story" era. But I think that's just a mood/story effect thing and not a 'reality' thing.

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

About Neo stopping the Sentinals... I think some-how he has been infected by Smith through touching the blood of that guy that was taken-over by Smith. So he has connections to humans AND the machines.

AND they are all still in an even bigger Matrix.

--------------------

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps