Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Thinking of checking out "Stargate SG-1" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Thinking of checking out "Stargate SG-1"
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been seeing the advertisements on the Sci-Fi Channel recently about the big "Stargate" special they're running, including a one-hour behind-the-scenes intro/recap feature.

I've been hearing about Stargate for years now, and never really had time to get into it. But now, I've got only one sci-fi TV show that I'll be watching regularly -- "Enterprise" -- and that's hardly satisfying. "Farscape" and "Firefly" were both cancelled, and "Andromeda" has gone down the crapper at light-speed, as you all know. I figure it's time for another quality show to be put on my list.

My worry is, though, that I'll be way too lost if I start picking up the show now. It's starting its seventh season, right?

What I'd like to know from regular viewers of the show is, would that be a major problem if I just started watching it casually? In the past, I've always made it a point to start watching the shows from the beginning -- both "Farscape" and "Babylon 5" were so much more enjoyable that way. What would you recommend in the case of "Stargate"? Would the one-hour special (which I'm thinking may be similar to the "'Farscape' Undressed" features that SCI-FI ran a few years ago for new viewers to get up to speed on) be sufficient? Would there be too much action from previous years to catch up on, that would leave me hopelessly lost if I just tuned in for the new episodes now? What about watching the shows out of order -- watching the more frequent old reruns that SCI-FI is doing as well?

Thanks! [Smile]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely get in to "Stargate: SG-1"! It's a great show with lots of subtle th ings thrown in here and there. All kinds of other SciFi references make it in, especially Trek related. While some of the "science" is technobabble, the character of O'Neill helps to sort of even that out with his "OK What's that mean in English?" responses. [Wink]

I highly recommend you watch the "Stargate Orgy" every Monday night, as they re-run the series from the beginning with four back-to-back episodes. You just missed out a couple weeks ago on the start of the series, maybe six or eight, I guess? They're over halfway thru the second season right now. I've still not seen every episode and have missed out on almost the entire third season, mostly due to having been on several deployments and a one year assignment to Korea. However, I'm nearly caught up on episodes I've not seen thanks to SFC running these Monday night episodes. Another great thing about this is that they re-run those episodes later during the week, tho one each night, starting at 11pm, Central, starting Monday thru Thursday nights.

I don't know for sure what all this 1 hour special will give us, but would hope it would do at least a slight recap of what has happened thus far. You can also check out GateWorld for a great deal of information about the backstory and prior season information, tho obviously there's a lot of spoiler info involved.

Anyhow, I highly recommend the series. Try not to have the preconception that is must be exactly like the movie and I think you'll enjoy the heck out of it. It's pretty consistent internally and while it has it's technobabble science, it's still much more believeable than a lot of "science" that is thrown at us from the Star Trek universe. [Big Grin]

HTH,

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with everything said thus far and highly recommend you put forth the effort to catch up on back episodes. I was able to download alot of them from Morpheus awhile back, but have since lost them. That's how I got caught up. You can find some pretty good episode guides out there too.

It's a great show and very internally consistant. The stories are good and the continuing plot lines are great.

Watch it. Love it. Live it.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SG-1 is must see TV. I was expecting something more MacGuyverish, which it isn't.

My wife watches it with me cause she likes RDA....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Highlander. TNN. 'Nuff said.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes... I like Anderson as O'niell much more than I liked him as MacGyver.

I was distressed to hear that some cable station is creating a sequel series about MacGyver's nephew (a problem considering, as I recall, Mac was supposed to be an only child). What's worse is that there's a possibility of Anderson guest starring in an ep every now and again if the series takes off.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What all of them said - watch the show! If at all possible, try to start with "Children of the Gods", the pilot episode. Rent it if you need to. That show is quite possibly the most effective pilot to a sci-fi show ever. Plus, you get to see Vanitare Banderas naked. [Razz]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder what they will do with the character of Jonas Quin, when jackson returns? I think that in a lot of ways, this will be a good starting point, to pick it up. In teh last season or two, it REALLY built upon old episodes, but they make it easy enough to follow, that you don't REALLY need to have seen the old stuff.

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started out with last seasons episodes, about half way through, then got the first two seasons on DVD. I've seen a few eps from 4&5. I'm enjoying it, but I reccomend seeing the earlier seasons quickly. You don't have to see them to know what all is going on,. but it helps.

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the tips, guys. [Smile]

I have seen a few episodes on occasion in the past -- I knew enough about the premise (and I read Sci-Fi's website) to know the basics about what's going on. Just wondering if it's a major turnaround like how B5 or Farscape handled things, or something more akin to TNG.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Probably somewhere in between. There haven't been any major 180's that I've seen (though I'm a little behind... limited to watching the reruns once a weekon Saturdays which are still in the middle of last season).

But... there are a number of continuing storylines and episodes that reference other episodes. The episodes with the Aschen, for example. I'd say there are enough key episodes scattered throughout the series that it would be well worth your while to hunt down some back eps. Watch them all at once. Lock yourself in a room for a few days and just go nuts. It'll be fun.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stargate is the best science fiction series on telivision today. Hands down. No contest.
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reviving this thread rather than keeping stuff going in the Galactica thread... But for those of you who don't know, SG-1 is most likely not to go to a motion picture release. As heard on gateworld.net, the plot for the movie is now being made into the 7th season finale. There IS talk ongoing about an 8th season, but IMO they should leave while they're still relatively cool. The 7th season has been cool so far, but I'd like to remember that coolness before letting it degenerate into the mundane.

Whatever "Atlantis" is, I hope it'll catch on. The movie was supposed to act as the setup for the spinoff - but so for that matter was the 6th season finale. Here's hoping that this long-term planning will pay off.

Mark

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A couple of questions:
Are the sybiotes found in the "Jaffa" the same creatures as "Ra" from the movie?
IIRC, Ra was a parasitic lifeform with a generally humanoid shape in it's natural form: not some worm-like thing in someone's abdomen.
Ra was also supposed to me one the last of a dying race, but on SG1 there are more false god then you can shake a stick at.
What gives there? Why are they only earth gods and not gods of other civilizations?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They changed a few things from the movie that didn't really make much sense. Having no physical means to dial a stargate from anywhere but Earth, for example. Either way,

$

$

$

$

$

$

$

$

$

$

when Apophis died for the first time, due to a lack of a new host, he appeared to age, and his appearance was not wholly dissimilar to Ra's appearance. It's possible that Ra's host, whatever it was, was simply dying and he needed another. What you saw on the screen also had a snake in the back of his neck. Oh, and all the system lords we've seen impersonate (or personify) Earth dieties because there really aren't that many non-human races in the galaxy. Once Ra found Earth, all the surviving Goa'ould came here and got themselves new hosts. All the other groups of humans we've seen were moved to their planets after that occured. Any other races the Goa'ould seem to have wiped out, or they were technologically superior.

As to why the hyroglyphs said that Ra was the last of a dying race, well, they were wrong! Or Daniel screwed up in reading 'em. Or maybe the HOST was the last of a dying race. Or something. And the worms that the Jaffa carry in their pouches are larval Goa'ould, the mature form of which embed themselves in the nervous system of the host. Ra was one.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps