Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Thinking of checking out "Stargate SG-1" (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Thinking of checking out "Stargate SG-1"
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any explanation why their technology has not improved in a few thousand years?

Or why they stopped harassing Earth?
It can't be the reason given in the Movie: many of the cultures' "gods" developed after the Egyptian age.

Or why the Asgard aliens like to give anal probes?

What does a full grown worm look like?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My spin on tying Ra and the grey into the bigger picture is...

that a Goa'uld parasite somehow got into an Asgard - but didn't really take - cause of the Asgard physiology. And that if the Asgard let a Goa'uld into it's body in the first place... was that it might have been the survivor of a crashed ship or something.

The sick and dying asgard with a goa'uld in it stumbled across Earth and found a new planet full of hosts... that were better than the Unas.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
I figure it's time for another quality show to be put on my list.

In the past, I've always made it a point to start watching the shows from the beginning -- both "Farscape" and "Babylon 5" were so much more enjoyable that way. What would you recommend in the case of "Stargate"?

Well the BEST way to get into it is do what I did... borrow out the first season and watch it over one weekend... you'll be hooked.

I'm sure your local video store will have at least the whole first season on VHS - and I know in the States that the DVDs of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd seasons are available.

The first season came out here just recently on DVD and seeing as I only saw them through borrowing them out - I bought it... it was about $80 Aus... about $48 US.

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

quote:
Originally posted by Proteus:
Stargate is the best science fiction series on telivision today. Hands down. No contest.

What he said.

--------------------

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOTS OF $$$$$$$$$POILERS!!!!!

$

$

$

$

$

$

$

Any explanation why their technology has not improved in a few thousand years?

Who says it hasn't? We've seen examples of technological improvement over the run of the show, which is a mere seven years. And anyway, the Goa'ould are parasites in every sense of the word. Very few of them have the wherewithall to actually make any scientific progress.

Or why they stopped harassing Earth?

Originally, it was because we were part of their Protected Planets treaty with the Asgard. Earth itself is untouchable by any System Lord. If any one of them tries to attack us, the others are obligated to stop him/her. The final terms of the treaty were a bit vague to us viewers, but we obviously got to keep the gate. There was discussion of a clause that forbids any human civilization from developing technologically to the point where they would be a threat to the System Lords, and yet allows the System Lords to determine when that has taken place. Of course, seeing as we now have the technology to severely damage a ship even the System Lords couldn't take on and survive doing it, I'm not sure if that treaty is actually in effect any more. It's also worth noting that the Asgard themselves have provided us with weapons and shields for the Prometheus BC-303, apparently in violation of their own treaty. Presumably now that the war with the repliactors is over, they can just come in and kick Goa'ould ass if need be, instead of just using a treaty to bluff 'em. A good chunk of the reason is also that we're still a minor target given the infighting that's been going on among the system lords over the last few years.

The timeline is thus, as I understand it: We killed Ra, and Apophis tried to kill us. We killed Apophis and Hathor, and the rest of the SL's got pissed. The Asgard got them to sign a treaty saying they wouldn't attack us, because the Asgard fleet was too busy to actually defend us from 200+ Hatak-class ships. Sokar, a Goa'ould that wasn't a SL, managed to construct a fleet that was a match for the SL's fleet. We killed Sokar and destroyed his flagship, but a ressurected Apophis took over the fleet. Apophis met with Heru-ur in an attempt to undermine the SL's defenses, and was tricked into killing Heru-ur, at the cost of a good chunk of his own fleet. The majority of the remainder of Apophis' fleet was destroyed when we and the Tok'ra blew up a star they were in orbit of. Good way to kill a fleet, that. Unfortunately, I haven't actually seen the fifth season, but Anubis apparently showed up and started to piss of the rest of the System Lords. Yu was placed in command of the SL fleet to take on Anubis. The majority of that fleet was destroyed, as was Anubis' ubership. Basically, the SL's have been distracted by renegade Goa'ould, first Sokar, then Apophis, then Anubis, all who care more about taking over the galaxy than wiping us out. And now the Asgard are free to help out, and we have some nice ships of our own, so we may have a fighting chance if they try anything.

many of the cultures' "gods" developed after the Egyptian age.

There was a second gate in Antarctica that was used by some Goa'ould to transfer people offworld after the Giza gate was burried.

Or why the Asgard aliens like to give anal probes?

*L*

That was Loki. He's odd.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...but a ressurected Apophis took over the fleet."

I would think you, of all people, would know how to spell "resurrected".

Anyway, what was up that whole "return of Apophis" thing? Maybe I missed a minute of the show, or something, but it seems he just showed up again out of nowhere, and no-one wondered why. I mean, at least if he had been in a different body, I could have understood. But his host grew old, died, and was presumably buried or cremated on Earth. Did Apophis clone his host and add little Borg-ish implants to his face for decoration? Did someone else come to Earth, snatch Apophis' host's rotten corpse/ashes and pop him in a sarcophagus, preheated to 350-degrees, for fifteen minutes until lightly browned? I mean, seriously, what the "fuck" did I miss?

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
Anyway, what was up that whole "return of Apophis" thing? Maybe I missed a minute of the show, or something, but it seems he just showed up again out of nowhere, and no-one wondered why. I mean, at least if he had been in a different body, I could have understood. But his host grew old, died, and was presumably buried or cremated on Earth. Did Apophis clone his host and add little Borg-ish implants to his face for decoration? Did someone else come to Earth, snatch Apophis' host's rotten corpse/ashes and pop him in a sarcophagus, preheated to 350-degrees, for fifteen minutes until lightly browned? I mean, seriously, what the "fuck" did I miss?

SPOILERS AHEAD

Apparently you missed the two-parter in which they try and rescue Sam's father from the volcanic moon of Neytu (think Dante's inferno) by using some left over memories from Jolinar (who had previously escaped by doing pelvic penuckle with Bynar, big bald bloke with one eye and Lord of Neytu).
Neytu just happens to be in orbit of Solkar's homeworld and he uses it as a prison for the types of people that evil overlords like to send to a slow agonising death.
They get into the prison ok and find Sam's dad but getting out is rather tricky coz the only way off the moon (which has no stargate) is through the ring transporters in Bynar's quarters.
While Bynar is interrogating Sam, Neonak (his first prime and wearer of funky metal mask) decides it would be fun to blow a hole in his boss's chest with his staff weapon, he lets her go back to the prison while he pees in the coffee jug and sits in the big comfy chair.
Back in the prison the gang decides it's be nice if they didn't die of heat stroke so the all go off and break in to the late Bynar's quarters and try to access the rings...they are just about to leave when Neonak gate crashes the party and takes off his funky metal mask.
Surprise, surprise, he's really Apophis, whom if you remember was sent to Solkar after his death so he'd quit trying to blow up earth.
As it turns out, Solkar (Evil bloke with Michael Jackson style skin pigment condition) stuck Apophis into a sarcophagus so he could torment his enemy by plucking out his eye and poke him with a stick for all eternity.

I won't spoil the second part for you but suffice to say that Apophis usurped Solkar and stole his big comfy throne too.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To clarify a little more, yes, Solkar did get back the body of Apophis' host, not just the remains of the symbiont. We saw the wrapped carcass taken through the gate at the end of "Serpent's Song". Delivery of the body to Solkar was a necessary condition to keep him from wiping out Earth.

Not all of our heroes realized what delivering the body would mean, but at the end of "Serpent's Song", Teal'c rather chillingly told the others that Solkar would be sure to resurrect Apophis for the joy of torturing him.

And see above to find out if that was a good idea from Solkar...

Timo Saloniemi

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just so you know, the movie is still planned. This is from the mouths of the writers and producers themselves (see: SG1 Lowdown)
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Teal'c rather chillingly told the others that Solkar would be sure to resurrect Apophis for the joy of torturing him.

And see above to find out if that was a good idea from Solkar...

Timo Saloniemi [/QB]

So Solkar is thousands of years old and has ruled his planet since Moses was prepubescent but still has the common sense of a James Bond villian.
Smooth.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did not miss that two-parter, as that's the episode I was referring to when I said "he just showed up again out of nowhere, and no-one wondered why". Apparently I missed whatever minute or so of that episode they took to explain about the sarcophagus.

I also don't remember their sending Apophis' dead body through the gate at the end of the episode where he died, but it's been so long since I saw it, I'm not surprised.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

they sorta threaded it through the 'gate and after a certain point the gate took a-hold of it and it just was pushed straight in.

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding the so-called "lack" of technological improvement by the Goa'uld: I don't see it as implausible. After all, the System Lords were enjoying millenia of relative stability thanks to Ra ruling over everyone, who in turn ruled over the various slave cultures. Experimentation still occured ("Brief Candle" and all the stuff Nyerrti did, among things), but overall the Goa'uld were basically masters of their domain. On the rare occasion that a world overthrew the Goa'uld, they'd simply be abandoned, like Earth and several other planets. There were plenty of other worlds out there to supply manpower and Naquada.

After Ra was killed, the System Lord hierarchy was thrown into chaos. Apophis was number two in the mythology, but in reality was probably just one of several powerful System Lords who were jockeying for the top spot, including Heru'ur and eventually Chronos and Solkar. Chronos had the largest fleet at the time before Solkar showed up, probably followed by Heru'ur, who might be roughly equal to Apophis if their rivalry is any indication. When Apophis inherited the fleet of Solkar, and subsequently those of Heru'ur and Chronos, it really turned him into a badass power.

Anyway, the point of this all is that nothing spurs technological advancement like war. With Ra dead and the Tau'ri and Tok'ra able to effectively fight them, the remaining System Lords found themselves fighting on several fronts at once. There were probably skirmishes for territory prior to this, of course, but with the boss gone...

As for Ra and his supposed "alien" body, it's never been explained. The SG-1 creators probably meant to ignore that little bit, only sticking with the dialogue that Ra was a parasite. There can be any number of explanations, which will probably never be revealed. However, given that extremely powerful Goa'uld like Solkar and Anubis were not entirely human (and who had in fact been banished while Ra was top dog), it follows that Ra himself would've had some improvements done during his tenure. And not just to play the Crying Game.

Oh, and regarding the "last of a dying species" thing, Daniel speculated in the series premiere that Ra had perpetuated that myth himself to help keep the Abydonians under control. How better to remain a deity if you're the only one?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:

As for Ra and his supposed "alien" body, it's never been explained. The SG-1 creators probably meant to ignore that little bit, only sticking with the dialogue that Ra was a parasite. There can be any number of explanations, which will probably never be revealed.
Mark

Or possibly that the host is eventually consumed by the parasite (we're talkin' more tan two thousand years after all).
Or Ra got hold of some asgard DNA and went to "improving" himself to makehis shell more durable.
Mabye that form was really Ra and not just some maggot in his tummy after all. [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think as far as the show is concerned, it's pretty clear that the events of the movie happened, but not necessarily as depicted in it.
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps