Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Thinking of checking out "Stargate SG-1" (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Thinking of checking out "Stargate SG-1"
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kinda like Voyager.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Timely!
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's what you were thinking yourself.
Admit it.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right.
Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SG1 is a god show. I've seen all of the first two seasons, a little of season three, and some of five. I'm going to pick up the season three discs this weekend.

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kosh:
SG1 is a god show.

So is Touched by an Angel

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ladies and Gentlemen, Welcome to the Laughstop.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
I think as far as the show is concerned, it's pretty clear that the events of the movie happened, but not necessarily as depicted in it.

That's a nice way to put it!

Actually - I find the movie is WAY more enjoyable after watching a few seasons of the show. You go back to the movie an appreciate it on a whole new level... of course things like the Asgard and Goa'uld weren't "around" when the movie was made... but they are supposed to be - and it makes the movie better as it's as if it now is set in a universe of a more epic scale.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
kickass!
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To be honest, I dunno. Richard Dean Anderson has always carried the show for me - but since the sixth season, he's reduced his time on the show. We haven't had an O'Neill-centric show since the middle of last season, and I miss his performances. True, the rest of the cast is very strong and watching them have the space to ham it up is great (especially with the latest episode "Lifeboat"), but dammit, I miss RDA! There are also the ensemble shows, which are usually great, but where they ahve great plotting and pacing they lack somewhat on individual character development.

I guess what I'm saying is that the show has a star, and that the star has been absent. RDA seems content with his reduced time on the show (so he can spend time with his family in the States instead of being in Vancouver), but I think that without the presence he had on the show in its earlier seasons, they should move on before it becomes tedious. I'm happy Daniel's back, and that the original chemistry of the show is basically restored, but without all the O'Neill, it's not quite the show I love.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Underwater spin-off? "SeaQuest: SG-1"?
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think they're just having too much fun with the "Atlantis" thing.

[spoilers]

The season finale has Anubis attacking Earth, and the piddly Prometheus defending - with Hammond at the conn. For the eighth season, scuttlebutt has it that O'Neill may get promoted to Hammond's position, while the show transitions to the spinoff series.

Mark

--------------------

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'd hardly call the Prometheus piddly. It's equipped with Asgard shields and weaponry, after all. As for Anubis, where DOES he get all those great toys?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Anubis has doubtless found a source of Ancients' technology. However, per several episodes' evidence he may not have the ability to replicate it.

More to the point, Anubis' technology HAS been able to deafeat the Asgard. Thor's bluff at the end of the fifth season took care of it temporarily, but who knows for how long. The Prometheus MAY be able to take on regular Goa'uld Ha'tac class ships, but certainly not many, and certainly not Anubis' super-duper tech.

Mark

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Season 8 - FANTASTIC! Let's just hope they don't get greedy and pull an X-Files... but by season 6 X-Files was already on its way down hill and atm (I've only seen up to Season 6's "The Other Guys") it's at the top of its game!

PLEASE PLEASE PLASE - I'm asking for BIG ARSE SPOILER WARNINGS - as you can't put it at the top of a thread (in a subject) don't just start talking about frikkin' events of season 6, 7 or 9 - infact NO SEASON (ok except for season 1) details should be mentioned in a post (I've mentioned no details here) without CLEAR labelling at the BEGINNING of your post that it contains events and information from that season.

I've already been spoiled about this new ship BUGGER!!!!!

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps