Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Lord of the Rings $$$$$$$$$$ (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Lord of the Rings $$$$$$$$$$
Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I put the spoiler signs in so we could speak freely. The movie isn't out, and if you haven't read the books, well, your loss. For the movie so far we have;

Frodo- Elijah Wood
Sam- Sean Astin
Gandalf- Ian McKellen
Bilbo- Ian Holm
Pippin- Billy Boyd
Aragorn- Viggo Mortensen
Arwen- Liv Tyler
Merry- Dominic Monaghan
Legolas- Orlando Bloom
Gimli- John Rhys Davies
Saruman- Christopher Lee
Boromir- Sean Bean
Faramir- Ethan Hawke
Ted Sandyman- Brian Sergent

Ringbearer has moved, and the bombidil campaign seems to be over, since filming has begun.
http://fandom.com/ringbearer/

------------------
WHO ARE YOU?

[This message has been edited by Kosh (edited September 20, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Kosh (edited October 18, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Kosh (edited November 04, 1999).]

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well I registered to save Tom Bombadil...

I think its FANTASTIC that Ian McKellan SP?? is doing Gandalf - I recently saw Gods and Monsters - he was fantastic - absolutely great - now we just need Patrick Stewart as Saruman.

------------------
"All is full of love, all around you" - Bj�rk

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ohhhhhh what a great site - I'm book marking it

Elija Wood!!!!!!1 - I don't know about you but he LOOKS so much like Frodo from The Animated movie... wow!

Its filming in New Zealand - although I'm in Australia - I wonder how I would go about being an extra!?! - I'd love to be in the Inn at Bree!

wow.

Elbereth Gilthoniel
(now that was from memory )

------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I agree with The First One. What exactly does Bombadil do to advance the movie's storyline? And this is a movie, remember. His inclusion would have little to do with the overall plot of the film, and take time away from the rest of the story.

------------------
"We kid around a lot about people who are cyclopses, but seriously; if you're a mythic figure you've got challenges that no one should have to deal with."
--
John Flansburgh

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The whole nature of the storytelling evolves throught the book. . . the sudden dip straight into the more fantastic realms just after they leave the Shire does tend to jar a bit when looked at that way. . . However, some important information is supplied during their stay in the Old Forest, and if you lose Bombadil you lose the Barrow Wight and then you lose the Knife of Westernesse which is the ultimate downfall of the Lord of the Nazgul. Plus Frodo's similar misadventure on Weathertop when his knife perishes. So I feel conflicted about Bombadil, now.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The "problem" with Bombadil is that he's a rather vague and complex character. However, all of that is merely hinted at in the book, and no answers are ever really raised. I don't see how you can translate that to film without spending much more time on the character than the book did, relatively speaking. But by doing that you get even further from the book, in which he was never more than an intriguing minor character.

------------------
"Have you ever seen a bloody egg? Glass in hand, laying up in bed?"
--
They Might Be Giants

Mycon
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Am I the only one who has serious doubts about the movie project? I don't believe that a book like LotR can make a satisfying movie. I fear that it will become a gicantic FX-orgy with stupid dialogues and simplifications to make even the ignorants happy who haven't read the book or hate it. Everyone has another approach to read and enjoy this book. Personally, I especially enjoyed the dark atmosphere of The Silmarillion and The Lost Tales and the dark chapters in the main trilogy. "Thou shall not stand between the Nazg�l and his prey. Or else...." etc. This is pure, written magic!!! (gets enthusiastic). But I think that the movie will concentrate on romance and huge FX-battles. I cannot imagine how they can show the desperation and horror of the people of Gondor under the spell of the Nazg�ls flying over Minas Tirith. I doubt that the movie will catch the magic of the written word. Does everyone of you know the movie Dune (of course you do, this is an SciFi-Forum ) Nearly everybody I know hates the movie, but I love its bizarre, dark, somewhat anticommercial approach. Lynch should do the LotR-Movie! Most of the people would hate it, but the real lovers of the book who have read the Forestories and have studied the maps hour for hour would be satisfied. (I'm sorry for the disastrous grammar and spelling)

------------------
Mycon

IP: Logged
Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll give David Lynch credit for trying with"Dune", but it was not a good movie. At least with Lord of the Rings, it will be three movies, instead of trying to crowd it all into one.

------------------
WHO ARE YOU?

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

A friend of mine told me that, in one of the books that I haven't read, "Tales" perhaps, it was explained that Tom Bombadil was one of the Miar(My-are),Can't remember the spelling. It's been a while since I've read any of the books. Anyway, he was one of the same people as Gandalf, but Bombadil had "gone native" living as one of the other races would live. There were others of their race in middle earth. Sauraman was one, who went bad, The one who wore the brown robes(Raglin or something like that) two who had gone into Saron's lands, and never returned.

I'm about to change service providers at home, as soon as I can get that mess straightened out, I'll look up some of the names, and get back to this.

------------------
WHO ARE YOU?

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Yes Kosh, he was supposedly a Maia who had 'gone native' There were the Valar - i.e. Manwe, Yavanna, Aule, Melkor etc. there were also the Maiar - of which we know Gandalf, Saruman, Radagast (Brown robes) Sauron, and the two unnamed Blue robed Istari were.

------------------

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

Stuart Townsend is now listed as Aragorn. He looks much to young in the picture. I checked IMBd. I've never heard of any of the films listed.

------------------
Outside of a dog, a book is a mans best friend. Inside of a dog, it's to dark to read. Groucho Marx

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

Ringbearer.com is reporting that Chirstopher Lee is in final negotiations for the role of Saruman.

------------------
Outside of a dog, a book is a mans best friend. Inside of a dog, it's to dark to read. Groucho Marx

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Christopher Lee, huh? I can see it, but I never pictured Saruman being that thin.

------------------
Darlene: I read a lot of science fiction.
Herbert: Bless you, my child.
Kay: The world needs more people like you.

-Deep Space Nine, "Far Beyond the Stars."

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

Liv Tyler has signed!!

http://www.scifiweekly.com/issue124/news.html

------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Scary.

But if they had to cast someone from Inventing the Abbots, why not Jennifer Connelly? She's got a dreamy quality about her that would fit in nicely, I think.

------------------
"Something I can't comprehend. Something so complex and couched in its equation. So dense that light cannot escape from."
--
Soul Coughing

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps