Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » BSG 2x07 "HOME, Part II" $$$ (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: BSG 2x07 "HOME, Part II" $$$
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spoilers:

Pegasus was undergoing a refit when the Cylons attacked the space-station she was docked at. The explosion of the station knocked the Pegasus away from the station and the crew was able to execute a blind FTL jump.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't find the image I saw of the Pegasus. Maybe it was speculation. Anyway, here are some screencaps from the Mini of a Battlestar biting the big one. The Pegasus may look like this. Some people think there are differences between this and the Galactica.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/martok2112/Capricaattack-00hr58min28sec.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/martok2112/Displayscreen001-00hr40min18sec.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/martok2112/Displayscreen001-00hr52min11sec.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/martok2112/Displayscreen001-00hr52min14sec.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/martok2112/Displayscreen001-00hr54min19sec.jpg

From other spoilers (in case people have missed them here): Admiral Cain and the Pegasus find the Galactica and Commander Adama submits to her authority. Cain is played by Michelle Forbes (aka Ro Laren from TNG).

I think the Cylons are herding the fleet. They aren't making it easy, but they are herding them. Perhaps this is so they can find Earth as well and eliminate all of humanity. If there is a 13th tribe out there, they may pose a threat to the Cylons at some point in the future.

I'm wondering if the battle between the Lords of Kobol is going to parallel the original series battle between the beings of light and Count Iblis, with Iblis playing the new part as the Cylon "one god." Perhaps this is really a battle between these advanced beings and they are using the humans and cylons as pawns.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If this turns out to be another "ancient, advanced aliens duke it out through their primitive 'children'" kind of plot, I'll be extremely annoyed at Ron Moore. That whole theme has already been done with Babylon 5, Andromeda, Deep Space Nine, and who knows how many others.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinus:
Something like the original Star Trek establishing that the Greek gods were visiting aliens who thrived on our worship?

Like those "gods", the gods of Kobol might have been able to bestow a limited godhead on favoured humans. Then those "Lords of Kobol" started getting uppity, things fell apart, and here we are.

Incidentally, how many thousand years either way can we go before those constellations no longer look like that from Earth? That gives us something of a timeframe, at least. Ten thousand years? Fifty thousand? Yeah, I know that's a lot, but ya gots ta start somewheres...

--Jonah (just wants to hear that vocoded "By your command...")

Maybe not quite so literal.
More like the Gods, or Lords of Kobol were actual human people, the leaders/founders of their respective tribes and that as history is told, retold, written, re-written, embellished, exaggerated, misinterpreted and mistranslated, these great, yet very mortal people have become raised to the point where they're said to be very literal gods.

From what I've read, some scholars hold similar opinions about the true origins of the legends of the ancient Gods of Greece, Egypt, South America and the like.
Not to insult any devout Christians that might be reading, but one could even hypothesise that Jesus of Nazareth was a mortal man, although Ghandi like in his ideas and philosophy, was only later raised to the status of a demigod by historians and religious radicals of their time.

Another, although less significant example could be the deification of Imhotep, two millennia after his death.

Of course that's just an idea. The Lords of Kobol could very well have been "aliens" that cared/ used/shepherded mankind. It all depends on how the writers want to play it. Although in my mind the aliens or "higher beings" angle is a little fantastical for a show that's all about the gritty realism.

Plus the Shadow/Vorlon thing has been done already.

Having said that, whoever the Lords were they were advanced enough to make a tomb with Dolby 5.1 holo-surround that still works after being sat there for a couple millennia.
Presumably they also left mankind with FTL technology.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By "limited godhead" I don't mean immortality per se. More like... One favoured human is bestowed with a gift of prophecy, one with eloquence, and so on. A side-effect is a lengthened lifespan (but only about double or triple normal). I don't know. I'm not thinking about it too hard. They'll tell the story they're going to tell. *heh*

The impression I get -- both from the original series' "Lost Planet of the Gods" and all these new Kobol-centric episodes is that everything was great for some time and then fell apart quite suddenly and rapidly. The last act of a dozen forward-thinking individuals would have been to take their respective followers elsewhere before things went completely to smeg-all -- but not all were of like mind. The statues in the tomb would have been constellation representations, but the message/guidepost/whatever would have been designed to only allow the right person or people to see it. I mean, if you didn't want to keep someone from entering the tomb, whey take the Arrow with you when you left for Caprica?

I also like the notion that maybe Iblis was the one who instigated that hypothetical infighting. *chuckle* And in a cute inversion of the original series take, rather than manifesting to the Cylons and prompting them to abandon the flesh for the perfection of the mechanical, he may have been the instigator of the new series' Cylon rebellion and pursuit of organic perfection...

Tasty, tasty speculation. And -- of course -- probably having nothing to do with what eventually hits the screen. *hee hee*

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry about lowering the tone, but, mmm, naked Six. . . How long can one person go on talking to himself before someone starts to show some concern?

Also. . . This may be a complete coincidence. But the gun Remar gives Sharon (obviously a favourite since he has another one tucked away) was a COP .357, a four-barrelled derringer-type pistol. Most well-known use of same having been in Blade Runner, which starred one Olmos, Edward J.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm...what if it is Earth that did an "uplift" of the Cylons....and their intent is to herd the humans there?

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

machf
Member # 1233

- posted      Profile for machf         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by B.J.:

The scene where they were flashed to the field on Earth really caught my attention. All the colonies have their names based on contemporary constellations. And M8, the Lagoon Nebula, is about where they showed it, but obviously it's not that big and bright in real life.

B.J.

Hmmm... Apollo said something like "look there, in Scorpius - it's the Lagoon Nebula, I recognize it". Problem is, M8 actually lies on Sagittarius as seen from Earth. And I think Scorpius was reversed (as in a mirror image). So, either this series is taking place in an alternate universe with such characteristics, or else, the holographic display (or whatever it was) that showed them the location of Earth isn't working properly...
I need to take another look at that scene and check the other constellations too...

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sagittarius and Scorpio are adjacent, as the former is guarding the latter.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Six pointedly states to Baltar that the goal is the eratication of Humans. She made it very clear.

For Earth to be responsible for "uplifting" the Cylons would mean that either A)Earth is not inhabited by humans or B)The humans on Earth are gonna be shocked when their "uplift" backfires and bites them.

The Cylons know the prophecies. The Cylons occupy Caprica. The Cylons have these nice mini-van transports. Why couldn't they have grabbed the arrow and opened the tomb?

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because they already know where Earth is?

I don't know how that fits in, but it's the most reasonable answer I can think of.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it possible that they were trying to? Maybe that basestar had just arrived when Galactica blew it up, and perhaps the Six that Starbuck killed was retrieving the arrow. But that would be way too convenient timing.
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So what are the names of the 12 Colonies and their corresponding constellations? These are the ones I can remember off the top of my head:

Caprica - Capricorn
Picon - Pices
Geminon - Gemini
? - Leo
? - Virgo
? - Sagittarius
? - Scorpio

(bonus: As one of the original 12 battlestars, Galactica represents Caprica. Speculation on the others?)

B.J.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Problem is, M8 actually lies on Sagittarius as seen from Earth."

Well, if you want to split hairs like that, a bigger problem is that Adama shouldn't know anything about the Messier system of cataloguing nebulae, though it obviously wouldn't be the first really freakish (and disbelief-jarring) case of parallel development on the show so far.

(The twelve colonies are Aerelon, Aquaria, Canceron, Caprica, Gemenon, Leonis, Libron, Picon, Sagittaron, Scorption, Tauron, and Virgon. That will be one powerup, sir.)

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

I don't think they know where Earth is. I think they know it exists and that they need to find it if they want to wipe out all of humanity.

Gives them a reason for herding them along.

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps