Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » BSG 2x07 "HOME, Part II" $$$ (Page 5)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: BSG 2x07 "HOME, Part II" $$$
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Incidentally, why was the Arrow taken to Caprica?

Y'know, the tomb was probably first constructed by the "Gods" almost immediately upon arrival on Kobol from Earth. As for why the arrow was taken ... well, perhaps after the tomb's construction, the arrow was moved out of the Apollo statue and kept elsewhere -- another, generic Apollo statue? When the colonists were fleeing Kobol, someone grabbed the arrow (possibly only as a memento of the Land of the Gods) and took it with.

quote:

And I'm stroking my chin thoughtfully about the possibility of a connection between the maker/owner of the Arrow and the callsign of our CAG...

More like, "Wow, that Lee Adama's a really good pilot ... almost god like, really. Hmmm. Let's call him 'Apollo.'"

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$$$$$Spoilers$$$$$$$$

Lee has it taped to the nose of his Viper in future episodes. "It's my call sign, my arrow." Except not really.

Basically it sounds like the humans that came to inhabit Kobol came from elsewhere. Whether that is Earth or not is debatable.

So were they "transported" to Earth or was it just a projection. We didn't see them leave the "map-room." I expect a fair number of questions about their origins and where they are heading could be answered with a thorough forensic/archeological examination of the tomb. Like Simon I am curious about specific things in this system.

I experienced similar frustrations with the miniseries and the crew not utilizing science to uncover potentially vital information.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snay -- once again Saggitarius =/= Apollo. The only archer in the Zodiac is a centaur. Apollo was not a centaur.

So what I was getting at is... It's called the Arrow of Apollo, but it fits on (was part of?) the statue of Saggitarius. Granted Apollo was a patron of archery, but why was his Arrow in the Tomb. As he was also prophetic, might he have known what would eventually happen in the here-and-now? More interesting hints can be found here.

While I'm at it, some historical edification on the inspiration for the Cylons can be found here. Incidentally, the main site has been one of my favourite BSG resources for some time. A little browsing of the sections and articles can be most edifying, but I just want to direct attention to the section(s) on the dead Larson/Moyer and DeSanto/Singer projects for those who might not know about the messy road between Galactica 1980 and the new SciFi series.

And perhaps the most painful (for me) "what might have been", this is what I was hoping would actually get made. *sigh*

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm...

quote:
Apollo was the god of music (principally the lyre, and he directed the choir of the Muses) and also of prophecy, colonization, medicine, archery
Prophecy and colonization? What if Apollo was the Lord of Kobol that led mankind to the 12 colonies, that would explain how the arrow ended up on Caprica (he took it there) and why there (might) be a statue of him in Athena's tomb. Apollo + the 12 tribes on mankind = a depiction of the exodus from Kobol and the arrow shows the way the other lot went.

One thing though, if that was Athena's tomb, then where was Athena?

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Death is a little more fluid a concept for gods, and we're still not convinced there were any real Lords of Kobol, are we?
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why build a tomb for someone that isn't dead or never existed in the first place?

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a gravesite somewhere in the middle of nowhere for Captain James T. Kirk, a fictional character who not only never died, but also never existed in the first place?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah, on the planet Viridian.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or the craggy stretch of Earth that posed for Veridian.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's also a stone marker in Riverside, Iowa, noting that JTK will be born there in another couple centuries. [Smile]

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Slightly different situation methinks.

--------------------

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinus:
There's also a stone marker in Riverside, Iowa, noting that JTK will be born there in another couple centuries. [Smile]

--Jonah

Why do I have the feeling some nut and his wife are going to go there to give birth?

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Rev:

quote:
Slightly different situation methinks.
Yes, but when you think about it, if the Colonists held their Gods to these high standards -- why not build a tomb for Athena?

I mean, my whole point was, Jim Kirk is a fictional character who was never born & certainly never died -- yet there are memorials to his birth AND death!

I mean, god, if people'll do that for Kirk, what would a society which revered their gods as much as the Colonists did, why wouldn't they build tombs for their gods?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For one thing, because gods are supposedly immortal?

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, plus - you just try sticking a Tomb of Allah in your back garden and see what happens.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps