Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » BSG 2x07 "HOME, Part II" $$$ (Page 6)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: BSG 2x07 "HOME, Part II" $$$
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also the tomb is on Kobol, home of the gods, the implication being that it was built the gods, especially if we take Boomer's bit about Athena topping herself by diving off a cliff literally.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
of course, the Tomb of Athena might not actually be where Athena's body was kept.. that might just be the name given to it over time, because it looks like a tomb and is related to Athena.

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Greek gods are very specifically not immortal, at least not in the sense of being able to live in the mortal realm forever and ever no matter what. Sure, they pass into the underworld and live on there, but then so do you.

No idea if anyone ever built a "Tomb of Cronus," though.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, we don't really know what they did with his body after robo-Teal'c shot him.

Oh, wait.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure they just stuffed his carcass down the laundry chute.

As for the non-Stargate Cronos, wasn't he imprisoned in Tartarus, rather than killed? One would think that one would require the other, but as I recall Tartarus was more of a hold all pen for the nasty types that Zeus didn't want roaming the Earth than an actual afterlife kinda place.

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tartarus is hell. Some stories put Cronus in there, others, if I recall correctly, have him in the paradisiacal Elysian Fields.

But both of these places, among others, are in Hades, which is as afterlife as you can get. If you want to argue that the existence of an afterlife, especially one you can maybe come back from, rather mutes the whole notion of death I won't disagree with you, but that's the size of it.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

I was never clear on the exact nature of Tartarus. Somehow I thought it was the deepest darkest level of the underworld, the foundations of the world (Gia?) if you will and that Hades had the bit right above that. Mind you it's been a while since I read up on the subject so I won't be surprised if it's just my wandering memory.

--------------------

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, even Greek mythographers themselves weren't clear on the exact nature of the underworld, since it sometimes consists of three distinct layers (Elysion, Hades, and Tartaros) and some other times just of Hades, with Elysion and Tartaros being regions in Hades, so, erh, if you're planning to go there, bring a map. B)
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps