Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » BSG 2x07 "HOME, Part II" $$$ (Page 3)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: BSG 2x07 "HOME, Part II" $$$
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Six pointedly states to Baltar that the goal is the eratication of Humans."

No, she says that she's with Baltar till "the end of the human race." One, there's no particular motive attached to that statement, and two, sometimes things end because they're destroyed, but sometimes they end because they turn into something else.

Survivors: 47,855

machf
Member # 1233

- posted      Profile for machf         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cartman:
"Problem is, M8 actually lies on Sagittarius as seen from Earth."

Well, if you want to split hairs like that, a bigger problem is that Adama shouldn't know anything about the Messier system of cataloguing nebulae, though it obviously wouldn't be the first really freakish (and disbelief-jarring) case of parallel development on the show so far.

(The twelve colonies are Aerelon, Aquaria, Canceron, Caprica, Gemenon, Leonis, Libron, Picon, Sagittaron, Scorption, Tauron, and Virgon. That will be one powerup, sir.)

Given Roslin's comment that the names of the Twelve Colonies originally were the same of the Zodiac constellations, that could mean they were derived from those of the constellations (and not the other way around, as was implied on the original series). If that's so, it could also mean that this series is set in the future as my friend suggested once, and that Earth is in a development state comparable to that of the Twelve Colonies. Furthermore, as someone already mentioned, the "holo-map" of Earth (to give it a name) implies that someone had been there already in order to set it up on Kobol. Now I'm thinking maybe some time in the future humans went from Earth to Kobol first, then when things went wrong there, they departed, some to the Twelve Colonies, some others returning to Earth. That would explain the "parallel development" issues... making them something like "continued development" rather than "parallel", I guess.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did anyone else think that Six, in her relaxed, sweatpants and ponytail look, acted a lot like Starbuck? I mean, beyond just having a similar hairstyle.
HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. I thought it was an image of Starbuck at first. Especailly how it happened right after Starbuck was mentioned.

True, saying the end of the human race can be taken in more than one way. But with a Cylon saying it, I think the worst.

The constellations were named after the ancient names of the colonies. It's possible Earth retains the ancient names because they were separated from the rest of the colonies and didn't know about the drift in language. It's still just as likely the Colonists brought the names with them from Kobol and not the other way around.

But yes, for the star map to be there means they knew some way what the stars would look like from Earth. Either someone came back from there, they knew were Earth was for a long time before colonization or else they are really good at stellar cartography and were able to speculate/project where the stars would be as seen from Earth.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The 13th Colony (Earth) was the only colony that could see it's 12 brothers, according to the Sacred Scrolls. Roslin mentioned that the shapes of the 12 constellations were on the old flags of the colonies.

So it does seem likely that Earth is much more than just the lost colony. It may be the origin of the Lords of Kobol.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm... now that you mention it....

I may be totally lost on this.

Earth could be the foundation after all.

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At the end, they arrive on Earth and find R. Daneel Olivaw and in a metallic voice he says....

"By...Your...Command..."

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

machf
Member # 1233

quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
The 13th Colony (Earth) was the only colony that could see it's 12 brothers, according to the Sacred Scrolls. Roslin mentioned that the shapes of the 12 constellations were on the old flags of the colonies.

So it does seem likely that Earth is much more than just the lost colony. It may be the origin of the Lords of Kobol.

That's more or less (up to 99% or more) what I had in mind, and I thought of mentioning it in detail today... glad to see I'm not the only one that noticed the implications (plus, your post saves me the work of typing all that myself [Wink] ).
machf
Member # 1233

quote:
Originally posted by WizArtist II:
At the end, they arrive on Earth and find R. Daneel Olivaw and in a metallic voice he says....

"By...Your...Command..."

Well, certainly, this search for Earth (especially now that they found the holo-map) has been reminding me a lot of Foundation and Earth...
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I don't have the series on DVD, could someone with reference or a better memory than I hunt down specific mentions of the Earth/Kobol connection(s)? I'm beginning to feel that perhaps the gods of Kobol hit Earth first, brought along some human worshippers to Kobol, then when things fell apart and the gods all died or whatever, some humans went back to Earth while the rest went on to found the twelve Colonies...

If that's the case, than Terran humans could indeed be in any developmental stage after all.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

I'm pretty sure the bulk of those connections are from this very episode.
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Earth Origin theory might also link the actual Greek and Roman gods to the (apparently real) historical figures in the Scrolls. What if the classical gods in the Mediterranean were the Lords of Kobol, and left Earth in some long forgotten time?

What was the timeline again for the colonies' ancient history? When did they leave Kobol? Is it known how long humans lived in harmony with the gods on Kobol?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
What if the classical gods in the Mediterranean were the Lords of Kobol, and left Earth in some long forgotten time?
I think that's a very likely theory -- or at least, a plausible one.

I don't think there's an established timeline for the ancient history of the colonies ... I don't recall any mention being made of when Kobol was abandoned.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And we're also straying into Stargate territory here - "the Gods existed, and were aliens (OK, probably not this bit, but you never know), and when they left they took a bunch of humans with them to populate other planets."

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought Earth was the "Lost Tribe" of Kobol. The fabled "Thirteenth Colony". The "Colony" bit making me thing it was established at or around the same time as the other 12.

As for the stellar projections, if you visit the 2D-3D Starmaps thread you will discover Flareites with clever enough stellar cartography to show you starmaps from alternate perspectives. Also Starry Night.

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps