Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Firefly laziness-related blowout ("Jaynestown," "Out of Gas," "Ariel") (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Firefly laziness-related blowout ("Jaynestown," "Out of Gas," "Ariel")
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Plus the Serenity comic. Surprise!

I think it's somewhat appropriate to lump these episodes together, because you could consider them the core of the show. Comedy, backstories, chilling betrayal, excessive hemorrhaging. A small arc, of sorts, for Jayne. Learning, in the first case, that his actions can have unintended positive consequences, and, in the second case, that they can also have unintended negative ones. Maybe there's something to this loyality thing after all?

And in the comic: I really liked how it all wrapped up. Or, rather, I really liked the fight in the wrecked ship. I guess the return of Dobson was something planned for the show, but I still don't buy it. The only downfall the comic has, really, is that it reads like only the first act of an episode; and I don't mean that it serves only as a prequel to the movie. The movie connections are pretty slight.

One interesting thing, though. An Alliance higher-up, talking about a couple of the blue hand guys who came to a bad end: "Our independant contracters have. . . disappeared." Suggesting that they aren't government agents at all.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, yeah, weren't they Blue Sun(?), which it was suggested had deep government links?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that's the shared assumption now; I mean, we know for a fact that Blue Sun was heading for a major role in the plot. But, as far as the show as aired goes, Blue Sun wasn't present beyond the occasional advertisement or corporate logo, and nothing at all is ever said about those men, beyond the facts that A.) they have authority of some sort and B.) are mean. But the idea that they were private agents, instead of public ones, isn't, I don't think, derivable from the show, which never got the chance to get into their origin or purpose. (Beyond retrieving River, of course.)
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
... and, c) wear BLUE gloves!!!!!!!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Well, yeah, them and every medical examiner this side of CSI: Anytown.
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, they're not gloves. Theyre body suits with blue gloves on the end of the sleeves. There's one frame in the comic where one of the guys gets hit and his shirt rips open. You can see the blue suit underneath with knobs or nipples or something on it.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

?

*checks*

!

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

(Though I'm sure the actors were just wearing those fancy medical examination gloves.)
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably.

I rewatched Ariel the other day and was reminded of the coolness with which the one guy kept slipping out his bleed-o-matic and opening it up.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really liked the Blue Hand Group, too... they were creepy without overdoing the horror genre too much, plus their limited appearances didn't overdo things. *cough*BORG*cough* I just wish we'd gotten a bit more information about who they were and just who they were working for...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is as far as I've gotten, since I managed to get the box set cheaply enough.

I don't like the Blue Hand Gang. It's far too X-Files, goivernment-conspiracy stuff (and, just like the X-Files, they don't actually seem to be government at all). And the way they just stomp around killing everyone in the most messily noticeable way possible.

(this is probably all old news to you, since youi've all seen the film and I haven't)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

If you want a spoiler about the Blue Hands from the comic, read below. They don't show up again in the series, anyway.

$$$$$$$$$$$$

The Blue Hands are independant contractors hired by the Alliance to track River down. They die in the comic series thus paving the way for The Operative to get on th job in the movie. And their hands are not actually blue. The men are wearing full body suits under their MIB outfits which end in blue gloves.

(Which, upon re-reading this thread, I see was all covered already...)

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$$$$ Comic spoilers to follow

Yeah I almost think it's more interesting if they are just gloves. If I'm honest, the body suit thing from the comic kind of disappointed me. As did the idea that there were only two of them. As did the idea that they weren't actually part of some mega-super conglomerate/government agency. Me likey conspiracy.

/$$$$

So I've mulled it over and I think that "Out Of Gas" is my favorite Firefly episode. "Our Mrs. Reynolds" is written/acted to within an inch of its life and "Objects In Space" is obliquely profound yet still funny, but "Out of Gas" gets me every time. When Mal asks "Y'all gonna be here when I wake up?". Every time.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Speaking of them, I get a very blue-handed vibe off those two guys watching the security monitors at the facility in the beginning of Serenity.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ariel is the clear favourite for me, I guess I'm just a sucker for heist movies.
Plus it was nice to see that there are ray guns in the future and they're about as much use as a chocolate teapot. [Wink]

Out of Gas is a close second, mainly for the scene when you see how Jayne was recruited.
"Tell us where you hid the stuff, so's we can shoot ya!"

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps