Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Ships based on ... ($$$ of all kinds of Sci-Fi) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Ships based on ... ($$$ of all kinds of Sci-Fi)
Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do you think of Sci-Fi ships that are based on or look a lot like ships of other Sci-Fi series/movies etc., or even based on/look like real airplanes??

Example 1: Star Trek's Species 8472 Bioship and Babylon 5/Crusade's Vorlon ships and Excalibur.

Example 2: Star Wars I: Queen Amidala's ship and the real life SR-71 Blackbird (link opens in new window).

------------------
"You don't need a gun."
"That depends on your definition of 'save sex'."

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it should be stopped immediately, and those responsible flogged in the public square.
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The 8472 ships really don't look like Vorlon ships in structure, IMO.

------------------
Frank's Home Page - free pencil with every visit!

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A spanking, a spanking!!

Great examples!! 8472's ships were far to close to Vorlon fighters. I could overlook it if they were designed by the same person.

Our resident retired Col.(U.S. Army) says that the Blackbird is still our best survielance air craft. Designed in the '60's and still number one!! Hell of an airplane.

After reading Franks post, I concede that he knows ship design far better then I, but the first thing I thought of after seeing 8472 ships firing weapons, was, Darn, that's a Vorlon ship.

------------------
Outside of a dog, a book is a mans best friend. Inside of a dog, it's to dark to read. Groucho Marx

[This message has been edited by Kosh (edited September 09, 1999).]

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shadow: You may be right about that, but have you seen the Excalibur??

Kosh: They ARE designed by the same guys, and they are also responsible for the Krenim Timeship that looks a lot like the Babylon 5 station.

------------------
"You don't need a gun."

[This message has been edited by Altair (edited September 09, 1999).]

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, yes, I have seen the Excalibur...

I'd actually need a clear picture of the 8472 ships. I originally thought they looked like Skipray Blastboats.

------------------

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

Species 8472

Excalibur

------------------
"You don't need a gun."

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A visual of the Excalibur would be nice, as I've never seen it.

------------------
"I will remember you...Will you remember me?
Don't let your love pass you by...Weep not for the memories..."
Sarah McLachlan

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

Way ahead of you

------------------
"You don't need a gun."

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't care. I'll applaud Foundation Imaging, anyway.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

Me too!!
They make top quality starships!

------------------
"You don't need a gun."

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Ah...I see the vague Vorlon resemblance. It looks a bit like the Excalibur too, indeed.

------------------

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had thought there was a bigger ship, that looked more like the Vorlon then this one, but a search has found only the same pics.

That very pic of the Excalibur is the reason I started using the Nickname. JPL asisted in that design.I have the pic as wall paper here at work. (My wallpaper at home is a nude pic from Jennicam)

Just remembered, I'm using the eclipse pic that Sol posted, for wallpaper here at work.

------------------
Outside of a dog, a book is a mans best friend. Inside of a dog, it's to dark to read. Groucho Marx

[This message has been edited by Kosh (edited September 09, 1999).]

Chimaera
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another example: The Omega Class Destroyers from Babylon 5 and the Alexi Leonov from 2010, in shape and structure the two are very similar, with the rotating section near their middle.

I don't actually mind when ships look similar, after all, its bound to happen with the amount of science fiction that's being done now. It doesn't mean that one is blatantly copying the other, just that someone came up with a different variation of a simple design. For instance, the 8472 ship and the Excalibur are both triwings, with an enlargement on the bow for weapons. I never actually thought of them being similar until reading this thread, and I still don't. After all, its also the same basic design of the Chig advanced prototype fighter from Space: Above and Beyond. Other than shape, they're different ships in many other ways.

------------------
"But, it was so artistically done."
-Grand Admiral Thrawn

IP: Logged
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Excalabur also shares some design similarities with the Liberator from Blake's 7.

------------------
"Why can we never meet anyone nice?"
"Why can we never meet anyone who can shoot straight?"
-Lister and the cat

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps