Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Ships based on ... ($$$ of all kinds of Sci-Fi) (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Ships based on ... ($$$ of all kinds of Sci-Fi)
Dan
Member # 129

- posted      Profile for Dan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ID Crisis: Yep, Ron Thornton was apart of the FX team that did Blakes 7. He built the Scorpio in his living room. Also, the design of the Excalibur was also based on the Liberator.

HMS White Star: Umm, I believe one of the Transport ships was created first before Babylon 5. Then came B5, then came the Vorlon Transport. I think I still have the interview with Ron Thornton with that, I'll check.

Also, one question. Your name is based of the White Star company that launched the Titanic. Since they were in the merchant business, shouldn't you be named RMS White Star since HMS is reserved for military ships?

------------------
Daniel Henderson
Senior Babylon 5/Crusade Editor
http://www.myrkr.com

Contributing Writer
Beyond Babylon
http://www.b5mg.com/Beyond_Babylon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really missed Foundation Imaging when they left. Sure, Into the Fire might have had better quality SFX, but the pace and direction wasn't as good as The Long Twilight Struggle, or Messages from Earth, or Severed Dreams.

About the only SFX seaons 4-5 did that topped Ron Thorton was Sleeping in Light...

I've got a '93 interview with Ron Thorton in Amiga Format, where he talks about this cool new sci-fi series that'll be using Amiga's. I'll have to drag it out.

------------------
"Why can we never meet anyone nice?"
"Why can we never meet anyone who can shoot straight?"
-Lister and the cat

Dan
Member # 129

- posted      Profile for Dan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I thought the main battle (the second one, not the first) could have gone down as the worst major CGI battle in B5. The thing with NDEI I've learned is that they have really no consistency. It's either great or it sucks. They have good modelers, decent texturers, but very questionable animators. Unlike FI.

Given the circumstances back then, I seriously doubt FI could have done a better job with the last half of B5 season 4 than ND did. At the time, Foundation was a smaller company and was also doing Hypernauts. Now if you're Ron Thornton and you had the choice between putting your people on you series that you created or B5, you're probably going to pick your own, and that was what happened. Looking back, FI had a big drop from Severed Dreams, and that had more than a "few" CG errors. Plus, was anybody here thrilled with Shadow Dancing? ND is very good at making planetary scenes and meshing CGI/static sets, something FI doesn't have too much experience. Plus, FI is a more experienced company, too.

So at the time it worked out, although there were certainly sometimes I wished Mojo won that card game.

------------------
Daniel Henderson

Contributing Writer
Beyond Babylon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're right about Shadow Dancing, but I still preferred it to 'Into the Fire'. And while the White Star breaking throught the glass window in Z'Ha'Dum wasn't especially realistic, it sure was emotional. Which in the end, is more important.

That Mojo card reference went right over my head though. Care to explain?

------------------
"Why can we never meet anyone nice?"
"Why can we never meet anyone who can shoot straight?"
-Lister and the cat

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lost me there, too.

"Shadow Dancing" remains the only episode of B5 I've not seen. . . Must do something about that sometime.

------------------
"Now that we've chosen to take all we can
This shade of autumn, a stale bitter end
Years of frustration lay down side by side

And it's only you, who can tell me apart
And it's only you, who can turn my wooden heart. . ."

- Portishead, "Only You"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry I haven't replied to this thread for a while, but I was refering to the comments that the species 8472 ships were based on the EXCALIBUR! nonsense.

Yes the Vorlon ships were created in '93 but the Vorlon and Species 8472 ships look NOTHING alike, except they are both a shade of yellow, and the have 'prong projections!' - nothing else. Gee I wish people would read messages posted PROPERLY before responding... sheesh.

------------------
"All is full of love, all around you" - Bj�rk

Dan
Member # 129

Actually, the Excalibur was mostly based around the Liberator of Blakes 7. Designs started around '96 and some of the designs they threw around were very odd (one kind of looked like the Sulaco even).

The thing that makes the Vorlon/8472 ships very similar is the texturing on the CGI model. That is more of a fault at Foundation than most anything. However I can't really be sure about the Krenim Weapon Ship.

I don't mind people "borrowing" things from other SciFi series, it's when they do a poor job at it (like Voyager usually does) it bugs me.

For those who missed Shadow Dancing, you missed it again this morning. I also preferred Shadow Dancing to Into the Fire. Nothing about the CG in the first half of Season 4 was anything impressive. Second half, however, was pretty good (except for Thunderbolts flying like X-Wings).

For that card game reference, it was in Mojo's bio at the FI main site. Basically after Season 3 with everything that happened on both sides they decided to have a card game between Mojo and jms. If Mojo won, FI would have stayed for the full run. And history tells the rest.

------------------
Daniel Henderson

Contributing Writer
Beyond Babylon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I feel that the only poor job of CGI that has occured on voyager was the Krenim time ship... the first time i saw it I though B5 too, but since then - they must have been slapped around the ears a bit - because most of the ships have been very nice - and some VERY innovative... not really a ship example - but look at the CGI work in '30 Days'... very nice stuff.

I agree, I enjoyed Shadow Dancing battle better than the Corianas Six battle.

It is visually exciting and beautiful.

------------------
"All is full of love, all around you" - Bj�rk

The First One
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*curses repeatedly* That's at the end of season 3, and in terms of collecting the vids I'm only at the start. I only get them when they're reduced - like when HMV does 3 for �15 or something - and I've even stopped that while I wait for the DVD question to be resolved. . .

Here's a thing though: at the moment HMV ARE doing a 3 for �15 offer, but only on the volumes up to the one BEFORE "Severed Dreams." That means there are only 2 I don't have, vol. 2 (it's got "Infection" on it. 'Nuff said) and vol. 22 - downright inconvenient. You can NEVER get "SD" on reduced video, it's already sold out or not included in the offer. It's become an obsessiojn by now, I will ONLY buy that tape if it's reduced.

------------------
"Now that we've chosen to take all we can
This shade of autumn, a stale bitter end
Years of frustration lay down side by side

And it's only you, who can tell me apart
And it's only you, who can turn my wooden heart. . ."

- Portishead, "Only You"

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coincidentally, (was that right?) our TV 4 aired the ALIENS: Director's Cut yesterday (19/9). Man did you get good shot's at the Sulaco! And longer than the cut version too! In my outrageously humble opinion I must say it should be high up on the
"bulky, antenna-covered, gray destroyers"-list!

Does anyone have an opinion on the "Event Horizon"?
I thought I should bring in some fresh blood!

------------------
This Windows ninety-fi-i-ive,
it's sucking up my dri-i-ive,
when my pc,
is obsolete,
I have to buy myself a brand-new-machiiine.

(That Weird guy)

The First One
Member # 35

I like the Event Horizon. . . I just feel rather conflicted about the movie itself. There was the germ of something good in there, but it never quite came through. . . I'm not about to dismiss it out of hand, though. . .
Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, yeah.. Of all the places it could go it had to get to the absolute hell.
On the other hand, the theory of atoms being connected somehow despite the distance between them, is pretty interesting.
But I must admit I wasn't all that cocky after watching it alone at three in the morning in our house in the country.
About THE "event horizon", do you guys think it is a nice mix between D7, B'Rel and D'Deridex?

IIRC, the scaling between the rescue ship and the E.V. made it look at 1Km+.

Thoughts?

------------------
This Windows ninety-fi-i-ive,
it's sucking up my dri-i-ive,
when my pc,
is obsolete,
I have to buy myself a brand-new-machiiine.

(That Weird guy)

Nim
Member # 205

I'm not drifting too far, am I?
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another ship that is similar to something else

The X-Men's plane (I believe they called it the Aurora, didn't they?) is based heavily off the SR-71 Blackbird, though the X-Mens plane had vertical take-off/landing capability and a forward swept wing design

------------------
"I am Sci-Fi"
-The 359

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*ahem*

That's because it WAS an SR-71. Why do you think they named the dragon Lockheed?

------------------
"And much of Madness, and more of Sin, and Horror the soul of the plot."
--
The Conqueror Worm, by Edgar Allan Poe

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps