Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Ships based on ... ($$$ of all kinds of Sci-Fi) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Ships based on ... ($$$ of all kinds of Sci-Fi)
Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kosh: That's probably the Evil mothership in the new adventures of Flash Gordon. I saw a few episode of that cartoon, that ship had exactly the same 4 forward 'spines'.

------------------
"You don't need a gun."
"That depends on your definition of 'save sex'."

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When i first saw an Omega-class destroyer I immediately thought it a rip-off of the Leonov in 2010.

But Liam's point has been a revelation. I knew the Excalibur was familiar. Now I know it simply needs a green globe stuck on it's rear. And jms did say he liked Blake's 7 at that!

------------------
Oh Mr Rasberry, so sharp your juices!

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny, there's one you're missing in the Omega/Leonov mould - the Marine ship from Aliens, whatever it was called. . .
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel it's wrong to scorn a ship just because of similarities. There are only so many variations of a ship's shape.
And why change a winning concept? If you want bureaucratic and dull ships, come star-destroyers and borg cubes. If you want evil and intimidating ships, come shadow-vessels and chig-fighters. If you want organic and harmonious ships, come vorlon-shuttles and 8472-ships. If you want military ships, come Wing Commander cruisers and S:AaB battleships. And if you want elegant and beautiful ships, let's have excelsior's and naboo-fighters.

If you try to come up with a new and totally unconventional design that doesn't copy any of the above, you'll end up with Breen ships!

Now don't thrash me at once, I only wanted to help.

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IMO, ISDs are much better looking than most other sci-fi ships, and they have a more viable structure.

------------------
Frank's Home Page - free pencil with every visit!

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like you Nimrod You're right, either that or you'll end up with 'Mega Maid'

------------------
"You don't need a gun."

[This message has been edited by Altair (edited September 10, 1999).]

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just saw space balls last weekend.

------------------
Outside of a dog, a book is a mans best friend. Inside of a dog, it's to dark to read. Groucho Marx

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ship from Aliens was the Sulaco. Though it's probably spelled differently.

------------------
"Just because you're floating doesn't mean you haven't drowned."
--
They Might Be Giants

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello!?! The species 8472 ships first appeared in 1997 in Scorpion 1...

Babylon 5 - let alone season 5 nor Crusade had started or been aired then...

And I really don't think they look like Vorlon ships - only that they are organic in origin.

Andrew

------------------
"All is full of love, all around you" - Bj�rk

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, they both do have forward-facing tentacles, and they are yellowish, but I didn't think much of it when they were introduced (8472 that is) and I still don't. I like!

------------------
And on that highly succesful burn I'm going into the polarbear-cage to get me some wallets
so I can get some beer-money. Adios! "Daaaeaehh" "Splash"

Chris Farley in SNL, bless his soul.

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Drakh were first seen midway through season 4, ie early 1997. Hardly conclusive, but it's closer than you think. Please don't start reacting with complete indignation just at the mere suggestion that the hallowed Trek might steal from the infidel B5. . .
Nim
Member # 205

What did the drakh ships look like now again? I remember a big mothership but not da fajters.

------------------
And on that highly succesful burn I'm going into the polarbear-cage to get me some wallets
so I can get some beer-money. Adios! "Daaaeaehh" "Splash"

Chris Farley in SNL, bless his soul.

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

Uhm...
The Vorlon ships were intruduced in the first or second season of Babylon 5, years before 'Scorpion'.

------------------
"You don't need a gun."

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Vorlon ships were first seen in the pilot of Babylon 5. Which was first aired in Feb '93.

The Drazi Sunhawk starships from B5 were intended as a homage to the Liberator. They even have the bulb at the back.

Of course, the Liberator is still one of the best starships ever seen on TV. Great model, pity that the BBC didn't know how to film it properly back in the late '70s.

------------------
-->Identity Crisis<--

HMS White Star
Member # 174

- posted      Profile for HMS White Star     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually the Vorlons were even in the B5 universe in Season 5, they left after "Into the Fire". Also the Vorlon ships were actually the second ships to be designed, the first ship was B5 of course . Actually the newest ship in the Vorlon fleet was there Planet Killer designed in Season 4.

------------------
HMS White Star (your local friendly agent of Chaos:-) )

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps