Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » AoTC - At last, Star Wars has returned!! $$ (Page 4)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: AoTC - At last, Star Wars has returned!! $$
akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
KISS MY ASS SNAY!

Stupid? It was Monday AFTERNOON! DUH! Who can't tell the time?

It was even a bank holiday! So I guess that with everyone off work and school the numbers should have been more. My figures were also based on any day of the week. It could have been a Saturday viewing two weeks after release and there would still be at least 50% of the seats filled for any film, not just a Star Trek one. Just goes to show how "good" the film is. So -

KISS MY ASS SNAY!
[Razz] [Mad] [Razz] [Mad] [Razz] [Mad] [Razz] [Mad]

I'm now gonna relax and go and watch my Sev Trek video - now that is worth the money that I paid, not to mention the CD is kewl and the t-shirt ain't half bad either.

[ June 03, 2002, 11:35: Message edited by: akb1979 ]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You only WANT to kiss my ass.

The point is still the same. It's Monday. It's a workday. People have already seen the movie. You're an idiot.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the deer population must be increasing unchecked with their number one natural predator busy doing nothing but shooting flames here....

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll go run a few down tonight to make up for it.

I just think what's-his-ABC up there is being a bit oversimplistic in that Star Wars: AoTC must suck 'cuz enough people aren't skipping work or class to go see it. And I sure don't think that the seats would be filled if it was a Star Trek film ... not on a Monday. Not after its been out for three weeks.

No.

akb1979
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whatever.

Sorry I snapped Snay - just can't be arsed to argue anymore. Like you said - we all have our own opinions.

My point still stands about the number of people and the time lapse - at least where I live - so [Razz] Plus the fact that people around here have done nothing but slag it off - I just saw why for myself . . .

(shrugs)

Whatever. Later bubba.

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeff: Y'know, you're really making yourself look bad here. He already said that it was holiday. How could people skip school and work, if they didn't have school and work that day?

[ June 04, 2002, 13:24: Message edited by: TSN ]

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But. Four. Weeks. After. Release. Star. Trek. Movie. Half. Capacity. Monday. Morning. Obvious. Point. Jeffery. Although. Reluctant.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To claw this thing roughly back on topic.

Several of my flatmates have only just gotten into Star Wars this year, so we've watched the films a couple of times. One thing I found interesting was that on first viewing they thought that Jedi was stinking horse shit, but that Episode 1 was really cool. On second viewing, Jedi shot up in their opinions (partly because we were talking through a lot of Jabba's palace), and TPM shot right down.

The problem for me with episode 1 is that is large parts seem gratuatious. The Pod Race scene was really cool the first time. I loved it. On about te 5th viewing though, at home, it gets a bit dull. There's far too much wandering about with no tension, no humour at all, horrible forward referencing "What is it's name?" "R2-D" m'lady" "What's that name again, I forgot?", and it just drags.

The final fight is cool. First time, everyone thought it was the best one. Second time, they preferred Jedi. Why? Because it meant something. The lightsabre fight at the end of TPM was glorified dancing. Ot looked spectacular, but it didn't produce much emotion. Compared to Luke hammering down on Vadar at the end of Jedi, which lacked almost any form of grace, but but had bucketsfull of passion.

For me, the fight at the end of AOTC marred these two aspects together well. We had the anger and emotion of the later fights, but still the skill of Darth Maul. And whereas all the SFX sequences in TPM seem too long (the Planet Core sequence never ends), they are too short in AOTC, which is far better. In TPM, Annakin would have done his two lightsabre bit for about 10 minutes, rather than the brief time he actually did it here.

And sure, the humour was corny, but this is Star Wars. It was funny corny. "I'm beside myself" is Threepio's second best line ever (after "Of course I've looked better).

And Yoda = class. Simple as that.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, AOTC is now my fave Star Wars movie. Possibly it's because I've only seen it twice and I've seen the others at least twenty times, but I believe it's because of that last lightsabre duel.
(And Windu doing the Highlander on Jango Fett. Surely I wasn't the only one thinking "There can be Only One.")

Did you notice how Yoda even caught the dust from the boulders Dooku threw at him? The trademark of a master: Strength and Control. A small, but appreciated touch.

Is it pretty well established that only the Sith can throw force lightning? And did you note that Dooku's hand was crooked almost exactly the same way the Emperor's was in Jedi?

Another small, but appreciated touch, suggesting Sith training with something so simple as a hand position.

Eclipse
Member # 472

- posted      Profile for Eclipse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by thoughtychops:
(And Windu doing the Highlander on Jango Fett. Surely I wasn't the only one thinking "There can be Only One.")

Well, we've had a couple of decapitations with swords in the movies, haven't we? You know, Gladiator, The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring. Though it would be quite cool to hear Windu yelling "There can be only one!" as he performed lightsabre surgery on Fett's neck. [Smile]
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

As far as force-lightning goes, I thought the specific act didn't matter so much as the intentions behind it.
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About that decapitation... When Boba picked up his dad's/bro's helmet rightside up, did anybody else hold his breath in anticipation of Jango's head rolling out of the helmet and plopping on the sand? [Smile]

A great movie. Too bad they had to add those 90 minutes of utter crap to the beginning of that great movie. It's obvious now why Anakin has all those cybernetics added when he becomes Vader: it's to make his speech sound more human and to give him a greater emotional range and more facial expressions...

Timo Saloniemi

akb1979
Member # 557

quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
About that decapitation... When Boba picked up his dad's/bro's helmet rightside up, did anybody else hold his breath in anticipation of Jango's head rolling out of the helmet and plopping on the sand? [Smile]

No, but I did think that a pool of blood and a little dribble from the head would have been nice. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Supposedly, his head flew out of the helmet as soon as they both separated from his body. I'm not sure, but I think you can even see it in the movie. But the copy I have on my computer is pretty sucky.
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can see it on mine. Or maybe it's just pixel chop shit stuff. But something looks all fall outy.
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps