Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » Lightsabres and stuff. (Uh, $$$, probably) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Lightsabres and stuff. (Uh, $$$, probably)
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Raven:
I think I've mentioned this before, in a recent interview with Lucas, he said that Blue and Green are for the "Good Guys" and Red is for the "Bad Guys."

Why is Mace Windu's saber purple? According to Samuel L. Jackson, he requested his saber be different from the rest so that in this giant battle people would be able to pick him out of the rest. "Mace is one of the higher-up Jedi's so he deserves his own color." (paraphrasing)

Well, as I said, the film is not the first appearance of a purple saber, they've been around in other sources for quite a while. But you're right in that the only reason Mace has one in the movie is because SLJ asked for such.

And Lucas is on crack with that comment about "good guys" and "bad guys", unless he just means that's all we've seen in the films so far. There's no reason why any Jedi/Sith couldn't have any colored saber they want, provided thy can find a jewel that fits their desires.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

P.S.

Aban, are you sure about there being other purple sabers besides Mace's in the film? I didin't see any, and boy was I looking...

-MM

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty sure that the fight scene in the arena was lousy with purple sabers. In fact, it seemed to be all purple and green. I'll try and look again for some screen caps...but I'm fairly certain.
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blue and purple are very similar looking in some certain situations, though, so it could be either. Most likely it was blue.
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just rewatched one of the commercials at starwars.com... I went frame by frame in the group scenes...many of the sabers look distinctly purple to me. I remember they looked purple in the movie too.

I dunno...I'm not saying anyone's wrong...I'm just saying they look purple to me.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding Anakin's lightsaber in the Geonosis droid factory... He was still trapped when it got cut. I'm pretty sure it wasn't even in the trapped hand. He was rolling around, trying to avoid being chopped by those big blades, and, at one point, he didn't roll far enough and his lightsaber was still under the blade when it came down.
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the only purple saber in the movie was Mace's. The others were all blue.

TSN, I think the saber was in his trapped (right) hand. I think it was cut in the final chop that freed his arm.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was.

Anakin's saber looks purple in the Tusken scene. It isn't. But it looks like it is -- due to all the red and orange about, perhaps?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as the movies are concerned(which are all that really matter anyways) Blue/Green/Red convention is what is held.

--------------------
The Legend of Jeff Raven: As told by himself

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, PURPLE TOO!
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Yes, whether I'm right about the proliferation of purple sabers in the fight scene or not, Mace's, at least, was purple. I think they attempted to explain this by calling it an "electrum lightsaber" as opposed to a "crystal lightsaber" in the Mace Windu commercial for the movie. That's the only reason I can think of that they would have differentiated at all.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mace Windu has a purple lightsaber because he is a "badass mother fucker." This should be common knowledge.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hehe...electrum was the gold stuff that Starscream found in the tree-hugger episode of Transformers...
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Now reach into that bag, and take my lightsaber out."

"Er... Which one is yours?"

"It's the one that says 'bad motherfucker'."

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny TSN...

Seriously, I don't think we should care that much on what color lightsaber is shown... wait this is mainly a ST techno board. Mybad. It is interesting to note that the lightsabers run on several D-size batteries that heat them up. During filming, Hayden and Ewan both burned their hands while holding them.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

OK...I was reading an article yesterday in USA today, and from what I gather, the lightsabers in that battle scene are all supposed to be blue and green, except for Windu's which is purple because Sammy L. wanted a unique color.

I step down. I'm going to get my eyesight checked tomorrow....

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps