Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » Lightsabres and stuff. (Uh, $$$, probably) (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Lightsabres and stuff. (Uh, $$$, probably)
Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the books there are several other colors of lightsabers. White (on the MF during training it was white in ANH). green, blue, purple, red, yellow, and I think orange too. Got to look it up.

I might see the movie again this weekend, I'll check the lightsabers and Anakin's lightsaber as well.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe sabres are like mood rings...?
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shouldn't Vaders be BLACK then ... ?

"He's in one of his ... black moods!"

"HIS BLACK MOODS!"

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Samuikaze
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do the colors indicate?

Well, I can't say I know... but I've read quite a bit on ideas. So have a read at this lot:

quote:
Phantom Menace producer Rick McCallum, quoted recently on the official site, said that there are ONLY THREE COLOURS of blade - red, blue and green. Persistent apocryphal material insists that sabre blades can be almost ANY colour (as determined by some stupid, treknobabble mystic JEWEL!), but no other variants have yet been seen in canonical material, although the original ANH-novelisation described blades as simply a "pearlescent white". By LucasFilm's own published canon policy, this novel quote is over-ruled by the onscreen evidence.

Of the eight known canonical sabres, four are blue, two red and two green.

It is obvious that the "standard" colour of the Jedi lightsabre is BLUE. Jedi Anakin's sabre, Master Windu's sabre, Master Kenobi's sabre and his earlier Jedi sabre were all blue.

The two known examples of "evil" lightsabres, weilded by Sith Lords, are both RED. Clearly, as with most things in the mythology of Lucas, sabres are colour-coded for alignment! You can always tell the "goodies" from the "baddies". This much is clear.

THE MYSTERY however, is "why are there GREEN sabres?".

The "real world" solution is straight forward enough. It was discovered that the BLUE blade didnt show up very well against the bright yellow sand of the Yuma Desert in the sail-barge fight sequence in RoTJ. The decision was made to alter the sabre blade colour to a colour that was more constrasting with the warm tones of the desert ... GREEN.

But, in "story terms" what did it mean to have a green sabre? What does it tell us about the character of Jedi Luke Skywalker?

Does it mean that a "master" has a green sabre?
NO - because General Kenobi's & Master Windu's are BLUE.
Does it mean that GREEN if for mere "knights" and his fathers sabre (which he lost in Bespin) was a master's sabre ... BLUE?
PROBABLY NO - because the Apprentice Jedi Kenobi's sabre is BLUE and becaue Master Jinn's is GREEN
Does it signify that Luke's status with the Force is AMBIVALENT? That he is wavering between the Dark & Light?
MAYBE! - the only other Green sabre is Jinn's .. and rumour suggests that he is considered something of an unorthodox rebel .. who is known to oppose the will of the Jedi Council
LIVING FORCE vs UNIFYING FORCE A popular theory running around the Internet at the moment may serve as a partial explanation of the sabre colours, and so deserves a mention here.
Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn speaks at least twice of the 'Living Force' ... whereas Master Yoda and the older Kenobi, in the classic trilogy, speak of the Force as a holistic, or unifying power. 'It binds the Galaxy together'.

PERHAPS, the colours of the sabres could reflect these two slight doctrinal variations in Force philosophy? (Luke's choice of a green sabre for RoTJ probably has no meaning, he probably got that colour simply by randomn choice of Ben's old spare parts and the settings used in tuning the weapon.)

RED = Sith
BLUE = Unifying Force
GREEN = Living Force

*IF* the non-RGB sabre colours hinted at by comic books, toys and apocryphal novels are vindicated by later SW films, then this 'doctrine' theory will need a good hard rethink!

HERE IS ANOTHER IDEA:
In colour theory GREEN is the directly opposite colour to RED, but in the electromagnetic spectrum, BLUE is more opposite to RED. Perhaps both GREEN & BLUE oppose the evil of RED, but by different means, in different ways, by different approaches?

AND ANOTHER:
Mr Curtis Saxton has suggested that the Blue/Green divide suggests active vs. passive aspects of Jedi. Green Luke & Green Jinn may be more active in their opposition to evil, whereas Blue users (except perhaps young Kenobi) seem to be more passive, more content to pontificate!

A NEW IDEA!
we now know that Kenobi DID lose his original Padawan BLUE sabre in The Phantom Menace, and that he takes to using his late Master Qui-Gonn Jinn's GREEN sabre.
AT SOME STAGE - Kenobi will have to change from this GREEN sabre to his 'classic trilogy' BLUE one. But not in Episode II

BUT WHAT IF HE KEPT QUI-GONN's SABRE!?!?!?!

Perhaps Luke Skywalker's sabre (the GREEN one he built just prior to RoTJ) was constructed from SPARE PARTS he finds in old Ben Kenobi's abandoned desert hut. This would explain the similarity in hilt design ... BUT what if the INTERNAL workings were built (unknowingly) using parts left over from QUI-GONN's green sabre! ... that may explain the COLOUR! *** just a thought ***

By Robert Brown.

Since this was written things have changed a tad. We now have Master Windu's purple Sabre. So who knows where the hell the idea is going with that one.

I think I've read something about him mixing crystals to make the sabre. I'll have to dig into it.

I like that idea that Luke may have used parts from Qui-Gonn's green Sabre.Thats could be a great line to run with.

So what you think people?

[ Ok, I added the Authors name...I just forgot.

As for the site I'll not post a link for it here, I got burned the last time I did that. And yes theres loads more on Sabre's to read. He's done an indepth study on the subject. ]

You want to read more msg and I'll give you the site address else just look for it yourself.

Hey, thanks for the "slap" there UM. I feel a whole lot better now.

[ May 22, 2002, 11:20: Message edited by: Samuikaze ]

IP: Logged
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it's great that you copy-and-pasted THIS site, without even giving credit. I'm sure the author appreciates that.
Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeez UM the kid is trying to help and fit in and you keep hassling him, You could easily have just told him nicely that it is customary to include reference to the author.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem I see with what was written there is that it's just opinions. Other than the production notes involving the colors they chose, none of it's official.

The only real answer we have is, in fact, the production isses of using colors that would contrast each other and the backgrounds. The crystal idea didn't pop up until the expanded stuff was written, as far as I know.

Now, my question is...with all the expanded stuff that has come out (comics, video games, toys, etc.), why would they not include more of those colors in the group battle scene? I don't have an answer...I'm just wondering. Maybe someone will address that in an interview at some point.

Oh...and how would Luke get his hands on parts from Qui Gon's saber? Do you mean Obi Wan's saber? Difficult as well since Obi Wan left his saber on the Death Star when he died.

One of the novels has Luke returning to Obi Wan's hut on Tatooine and using his plans ... but not parts from the actual hilt.

Edit: Ok...I see what you mean now. I re-read the last part of the text you included. I suppose Obi-Wan could've hung on to Qui-Gon's hilt after he rebuilt his padawan hilt...but I think that's a bit of a stretch.

[ May 22, 2002, 11:04: Message edited by: Aban Rune ]

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Samuikaze
Ex-Member

By the way if you scroll up a bit you'll see I added a bit to the last post I did in here.

Just pointing it out.

Samuikaze

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Hey, thanks for the "slap" there UM. I feel a whole lot better now.
< bow >
Hey, no problem, that's what I was here for. < bow >

..."fuck"

Last post, BTW.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's perfectly fine to post links as they relate to a conversation. Starting a conversation for the sole purpose of advertising some other site is where people start throwing rotten vegetables.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Samu,

Don't take it personally. UM gets on EVERYONE'S case.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Samuikaze
Ex-Member

quote:
Originally posted by Malnurtured Snay:
Samu,

Don't take it personally. UM gets on EVERYONE'S case.

Thank you Snay,

I think I'm slowly getting used to this place. Hopefully I'll not be too clumbsy and step on too many toes in here.

Gents thanks you for your comments...

Ok. Back to topic... I have studied Aikido for 5 - 6 years which uses a lot of sword play/fighting thus my interest in the Sabre subject here.
A link I was give here was given by a friend whom I train with I think you'll enjoy.

I'll now direct you to a site of a chap whom has studied "Kendo" for many years. He also looked into studied the Star Wars "Light- Sabre" in great detail and its relation to the Japanese form of sword fighting.

Its very interesting, I hope you enjoy the read there...

Sorry about this, my mouse has just died for some reason! I'll just posting this to you then reboot. Then I'll give you the link in the next post gents.

Damn .. hehe

Samuikaze

[ May 23, 2002, 18:02: Message edited by: Samuikaze ]

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Actually, if UM wasn't being a dick to you, he'd be treating you special ... [Smile]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Samuikaze
Ex-Member

quote:
Originally posted by Malnurtured Snay:
Actually, if UM wasn't being a dick to you, he'd be treating you special ... [Smile]

Hehehe Thank you, tis good to hear Snay. < bow >

Okay now for the link I spoke about. Have a read of this lot... most of all enjoy !

A detailed breakdown on Light-Sabres.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The guy who does that site must be a total idiot. McCallum never said other colors didn't exist, just that there were only three colors used in the films. (And, lo and behold, AOTC contains a fourth color originally introduced in printed materials! Wow!!!!)

This guy is really a genious...

-Look at his OH SO CLEVER "exposure" of the "fake" Mace Windu pic! He's a real super-sleuth. Oh, except for the fact that there really were two saber props used: one for the publicity photo and one for the film. (This is all explained on starwars.com, btw.)

-Look at his heroic deposition of the "stupid treknobabble mystic JEWEL" concept and disdainful mockery of the "WEG notion that building a sabre is a COMPULSORY test of knighhood," both of which are not only universally recognized by EU materials, but also by the official Visual Dictionaries and site as well!

Oh yes, I wonder if he's at all related to a certain Major Barcalow... [Roll Eyes]

-MMoM [Big Grin]

[ May 23, 2002, 20:20: Message edited by: The Mighty Monkey of Mim ]

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps