Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » Crazy theory #101 (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Crazy theory #101
Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Shadows of the Empire book, Vader said that Luke's potential was greater than Vaders or Palpatine. But that was in the books. Years after the events of RotJ, Luke got increasily powerful to the point where the only way to defeat Luke was to injure him, in a way to inhibit his way to use the Force.

In the films his best was in the RotJ, but Anakin from AotC could fight better than Luke.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As for Jedi vanishing, well Vader didn't, did he? We didn't see him disappear, and presuambly Luke was cremating a bit more than his suit. Presumably dead Jedi then can manifest even without visibly transcending. Which then begs the question (a la Omey's thread over in the Enterprise forum) "Why didn't we see more ghostly Jedi at the end of ROTJ?" Or did Darth Shaft know of a much more happening party to appear at than one involving a bunch of teddy bears? 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, and Vader ended up being a ghost at the end, too.

--------------------
Picard: Mr. Crusher, what's our maximum speed this week?
Wesley: [checking manual] Uh, 9.4, sir.
Picard: Very good. Take us to Warp 9.8 then.
Wesley: Aye, sir. Warp 9.2 it is.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But that's my point, DeadFido! He didn't ghostify upon dying, but he still becomes one anyway! Therefore it's not beyond the realms of possibility that Darth Neeson might reappear.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think we can really tell if Anakin's body disappears or not. We only see it for a second after he dies and collapses. The next we see him, Luke's turned him into a crispy critter and the helmet is back on, so there's no way to tell if he's in there.

I'm thinking that, if his body had disappeared, they would have showed it. But then again, the appearance of Anakin as a ghost was kind of supposed to be a surprise at the end, so they probably didn't want to give any hints of it in that scene.

Given that we now know it is apparently a JEdi custom to cremate the bodies of fallen Jedi (as evidenced by Qui Gon's funeral, it would make sense that Anakin's body was actually in the armor. We never saw Luke burning Yoda's clothes, after all, yet he apparently knew enough Jedi custom to give Anakin a "proper" funeral.

Perhaps the explanation for why Yoda and ObiWan disappear will be revealed in the third movie.

[ June 14, 2002, 05:18: Message edited by: Aban Rune ]

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yet he apparently knew enough Jedi custom to give Anakin a "proper" funeral.

Or maybe pyre type cremation is simply a common custom Jedi or not. Just like brown robes [Smile] .

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course Anakin didn't disappear. If he did, why was Luke straining to drag him up into his shuttle? The armor couldn't have weighed that much.

Aside from that, why have a funeral pyre if he disappeared? Did Luke burn Yoda's hut? No.

The only reason Anakin appeared as a ghost is because he was so strong with the force.

Obi-wan disappeared in order to distract Vader from his son, Luke, who was about thirty feet away. Is this hard?

Total ignorance of her lineage and the Force saved Leia when Vader was interrogating her.
(Vader may have sensed that she had some kind of Force potential, but he probably didn't care. As soon as they got what they needed from her, she was going to be put to death.)

None of the other Jedi showed up because either A) they weren't strong enough with the force to join with it when they died or B) they had nothing directly to do with Luke.

I don't show up at parties where I don't know anybody, either.

The force was balanced when Palpatine was killed. He is the Imbalance in the force. Thusly Anakin fulfills the prophecy in ROTJ.

Palpatine won't be a ghost, because his power is based on Death, while the Jedi's are based upon Life. The more Jedi there are, the weaker Palpatine would be. The less there are, the stronger he grows. He's a leech, a parasite, feeding off of Death, in some kind of Lucas ode to necromancy.

Due to what Yoda said in PM, after ROTJ there are two more Sith out there, somewhere. If Lucas were going to do episodes seven-nine, they would be the antagonists.

Just to put something else to rest while I'm thinking of it: Yoda's lightsabre was green. So was Luke's in ROTJ. Luke almost certainly modeled his after Yoda's, not his fathers, or Obi's.

[ June 14, 2002, 06:26: Message edited by: thoughtychops ]

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by thoughtychops:
Due to what Yoda said in PM, after ROTJ there are two more Sith out there, somewhere. If Lucas were going to do episodes seven-nine, they would be the antagonists.

Just to put something else to rest while I'm thinking of it: Yoda's lightsabre was green. So was Luke's in ROTJ. Luke almost certainly modeled his after Yoda's, not his fathers, or Obi's.

Ummm... ok... but no.

During Return of the Jedi, the two Sith were Palpatine (the Master) and Vader (the Apprentice). They both died at the same time. After Return of the Jedi, there are no Sith.

The "always two" line refers to the fact that a Sith master takes an apprentice, trains him, dies, then the apprentice is the master and takes an apprentice himself. It doesn't mean there are just somehow magically always two Sith in the galaxy.

There is no evidence at all that Luke modeled his saber after Yoda's in any way. One of the books says that he used Obi Wan's plans to construct the hilt. The saber he used in RotJ was already built and installed in R2 before he even went back to Dagobah. How would he have modeled it after Yoda's?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe the only crystals Luke could find were green, not blue. That ever cross your mind, Thoughtychops? [Big Grin]
deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have my own theories about the colors and their crystal relationship. One theory is that that they're not entirely dependent on the type of crystal which I won't go in to! But if they are, I believe that the crystal which emit purple energy are among the most difficult to obtain and are a sign of a Jedi's determination and skill, and enhance said Jedi's aura with a sense of asskicking ability. I also believe, that despite his accomplishments, Luke Skywalker is a weak pansy.

--------------------
Picard: Mr. Crusher, what's our maximum speed this week?
Wesley: [checking manual] Uh, 9.4, sir.
Picard: Very good. Take us to Warp 9.8 then.
Wesley: Aye, sir. Warp 9.2 it is.

Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
How would he have modeled it after Yoda's?

Yoda trained him, duh. I can't imagine that the entire training regimen for a Jedi is cross country running like some second rate boot camp.
Darth Vader made it clear that learning to build your own lightsabre is part of the training.

I don't read the EU books. They don't appeal to me, and I don't want to read four thousand pages to learn when Luke lost his virginity. Nothing against people who do, mind you. We've all got geek shit we have to research...

But I only go by what I see in the films. In the case of the lightsabre, I'll admit that he could have gone to Ben's hideaway on Dune for the plans, but I think it's MUCH cooler if he built one based on Yoda's teachings. Makes him a hard lad, you see.

But also...

Snay: Don't try and castrate me now, but I don't buy the crystals theory. I don't even know where that idea came from, frankly. I've seen the debates that go nowhere but geeksville...

Personally, I think the lightsabres are some kind of conduit into the living force, not some mere laser sword. Just think: Only a Jedi could build it, because you have to be specially attuned to the Force. Anybody could use it, because it's just a tool...

Depending on your own proclivities in force usage, and depending on how you used the force to build the sword, how it draws power from the force, the blade would change color.
And you don't need any weird and hokey sounding crystals for functionality, either. They truly become magic swords, drawing power from the universe itself.

Why not? It's as believable as a 900 year old frog levitating rocks with the power of his mind. [Big Grin]

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

OK... so you're saying you only buy what you see in the movies. I respect that. But the movies don't really ever say anything about the nature of the blade. They never discuss how they're built or how they're connected to their builder, if at all.

So you're coming up with the magic sword theory, which instead of relying on any source of information, relies on nothing. Have I got that right?

If anything, the movies presnt the sabers as a piece of technology, pure and simple. An incredibly precise and difficult to construct piece of technology to be sure... but a piece of technology none the less.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Member # 480

It's based on speculation. Same as just about anything on these boards.

Remember, Star Wars is as much fantasy as sci-fi. In that light, such an explanation is perfectly plausible.

The movies present the lightsabres as being incredibly unrealistic pieces of technology, used by knights that essentially are bending the rules of reality. Sounds like magic to me.

And you're right: Within the movies there's no mention of how they work at all. And Certainly no mention of any crystals. So there. Crystal theory, kaput, eh? [Smile]

[ June 14, 2002, 12:41: Message edited by: thoughtychops ]

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

To you. I, on the other hand find the crystal theory just as believeable. And since Lucas films seems to support the novels more than fan speculation.... I'm going with the crystal theory [Smile]

You just seem to be going all dogmatic for a theory that is just as much pulled from your head as anything. Don't be mean. Be nice. It's so much more fun.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Member # 480

Inner Dogma. Hell yeah.

Nah. I wasn't being mean. I just like my ideas better than the guys who got paid to write it.

If that makes any sense.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps