Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » Balance the Force? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Balance the Force?
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, in essence, you don't stand for anything you ever say? [Smile] [Smile]
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"It's also possible that fewer Sith are more powerful as indivduals than they'd be if there were dozens of them."

That's true. They'd be too busy chopping each other's heads off to pose a threat to the JO. B)

[ September 09, 2003, 12:20 PM: Message edited by: Cartman ]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"There can be only two!"
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cartman:
"It's also possible that fewer Sith are more powerful as indivduals than they'd be if there were dozens of them."

That's true. They'd be too busy chopping each other's heads off to pose a threat to the JO. B)

Why killing each other? You'd think their mutual hatred for...well everything....would allow them to work together at least in te short term. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The dark force-users calling themselves the Sith (after a race they conquered and later slaughtered) couldn't work together as everyone wanted to rule the others. Lots of daggers in backs and such.
Then Darth Bane created the rule of two. Only two Sith at a time, no internal struggle.

The remaining flaw would be that the apprentice is likely to kill the master when he feels ready to take on his own apprentice or is just ambitious...
Or if he pities his son. [Wink]

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That idea is from the novels and Lucas has said that he does'nt read or follow them. [Roll Eyes]

He could just as easily have a horde of Sith in the next movie.
Besides, Sideous had both Maul and Dooku working for him at the same time didint he?
He must have if he has a big "master plan".
Dooku might not have known about Maul but that does'nt mean Maul did not know about Dooku. [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait wait wait. . . Putting aside the question of why there should only ever be two Sith, because we'll likely never get an answer, except maybe a "just because. . ." I always assumed that Count Dooku was just some Force-handy guy that managed to link up with Darth Chancellor when he was looking for a replacement for Darth Apprentice; since all his plans were proceding nicely, he didn't feel he had time to recruit and train another apprentice, and the likely candidate (The Boy) was too high-profile to interfere with. . .

But you're saying not, that in fact Dooku was probably a long-term associate of Palpatine's and might have been Darth Tyrannus all along? And that of Maul and Tyrannus, one knew of the other, but not vice versa? What's your source on that? And what is the timeline established in AoTC for Dooku's activities that suggested he was a Sith all along, since long before TPM?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I'm only speculating of Maul/Dooku knowing of each other based on Dooku's being a bit peeved that Maul killed Qui-Gon.

I [/B]DO [/B]think Dooku was working for Sideous back during Episode I.
Dooku had not been a Jedi for quite a while by the time Episode II.

Somebody had to set all that "droid army" thing and begin all the prep work for the Death Star (probably under construction and weapon testing by Episode III) and keep the diffrent parties working for Sideous from each other's throats.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Nim
Member # 205

Jason: Lucas made the "rule of Two" canon when he made Yoda say "always two there are; a Master and an Apprentice" as an answer to Mace Windu's report that there could be no question that the attacker was a Sith.
Yoda is obviously reminiscing on Jedi&Sith history, speaking his line in a "that's the way they always operate" kind-of-way.

Palpatine doesn't have to follow it, he can do whatever he wants, but Yoda obviously was taught about the old ways.

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh dear, you used the 'n-c' word. No good can come of this.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

The "rule of two" really does NOT make sense though.....
If there are only two Sith (ever) that means the Jedi are horribly inept at killing them and have only ever gotten one at a time.
Mabye Yoda meant that Sith only operate in groups of two -Master and Student- untill the apprentice is ready to go out and train his own student and the old Master trains someone new.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
Member # 393

Which would make their system exactly the same as the later stages of Jedi training, and therefore hardly worth mentioning, surely?

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Unless the Sith live in BFE and only come to the galactic town in pairs.
Fuck, I don't know....and I doubt Lucas does either!
How could there possibly be only two Sith at a time?

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Nim
Member # 205

Firstly, there is nothing saying that the Sith have had living representatives in every generation for the 2000 years or ? since the rule of two was founded.
The Sith have had hidden temples, sympathizing cultures and of course always the Dark Side (at but arm's reach for any Jedi who falls from faith and/or becomes wicked or too nosy) to help rekindle the ancient threat.

Secondly, there's nothing saying the Sith master and apprentice made a tradition of living under the Jedi's noses at Coruscant for all of that time either, it was an extremely audacious move by Palpatine, very risky, very gambling.
No doubt a less force-mighty person would've been found out and strung up by the balls.

As Darth Maul said, "at last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi, at last we will have revenge".
This was obviously the first outright offensive series of operations to be carried out by the Sith in a very very long time.
I haven't read much about the Great Hyperspace War and the Sith Wars (can't wait to play "Knights of the Old Republic" for the PC), but needless to say the Sith were dealt a fatal blow to their existence and all but vanished.
The burned hand teaches best. Avoid the soapbox.

Unable as they were to face the Jedi in open combat (public opinion probably was a tad partial to the Jedi anyway), the series of moves that put Palpatine on the throne through clandestine ops was nothing short of brilliant.

Oh, and it was all Jar-Jar's fault, apparently. [Roll Eyes]

Nim
Member # 205

I know there are several others on this forum that know more than I do about the whole Jedi/Sith cockamamie, but they seem unwilling to share or something. [Smile]
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps