Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » Balance the Force? (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Balance the Force?
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
All I know is I wanna see Papaltine kil Mace Windu.
I'm a Sam Jackson fan but Mace is just a prick.

Crazy Statement Of The Year winner 2003.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No. Mace is a prick.
I'm possibly the only person that does not like that character, but there you go. [Razz]
I just want him dead...is that so wrong?

...and I really want Papaltine to fight: we should see him at his prime and kickin Jedi butt.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Palpatine is already a fair bit past his prime by TPM, let alone AOTC.

Of course, so is Yoda, but it's a bit easier to CGI him than Palaptine.

Besides, can Palpatine even use a lightsaber?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does he even need to use one?
He's powerful enough that Yoda and Mace can't sense him from across a table and Count Dooku is his bitch.
That speaks to me of a power greater than Yoda's.

The actor that plays Papaltine could certainly use a sabre (if Christopher lee could, anyway) but I'd hope they learned their lesson and avoid the "fast-forward" effects they gave to Yoda in Ep II.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think in EU at least Palpatine had a couple of sabers in a gallery or something, I seem to remember he and Leia dueled.

Jason: I just don't get why you would want to see Mace "dead". He's the best of them, in many regards.
We haven't even seen him in a saber duel, just against some geeky "roger-roger"-droids and Django the Bastard.

He should meet Dooku, that would be an even match.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

It's just the attitude he has: he rains on everybody's parade.
Mabye he's just too serious and severe for my taste.
Mabye you're right: I was REALLY disapointed in the lightsabre fights of Ep. II.
I was actually laughing at Yoda in the theatre.

I dig Obi-Wan (and we now he don't die for a while!)and his wit.
I dig Yoda (when he's played at the right speed, anyway) because he's wise enough to see the big picture (allright, not the BIG picture).
Heck, I even like that green Jedi with the big grin and the tentacles on his head and the Jedi librarian more than Mace.

What the hell happened to Yaddle anyway?
mabye Yoda went into fast-forward and fucked her to death....

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

quote:
The actor that plays Papaltine could certainly use a sabre (if Christopher lee could, anyway)

Christopher Lee has practise with that sort of thing, swordplay having featured in several of his films. Ian McDiarm-thingy might not have the same experience.

quote:
I was REALLY disapointed in the lightsabre fights of Ep. II.

Crazy Statement Of The Year 2003: Runner-up.

--------------------

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jason, that was unnecessary. Keep it clean, this is a good thread.

I agree Mace is a bit wooden and harsh, but look at the man's responsibilities.
In retrosopect, Mace's policy towards baby-Anakin proved correct.
He was too old to accept full allegiance to the Jedi and too full of fear and anger from his slave days to become a balanced, neutral Knight.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Yes, dear....

quote:
I agree Mace is a bit wooden and harsh, but look at the man's responsibilities.
In retrosopect, Mace's policy towards baby-Anakin proved correct.
He was too old to accept full allegiance to the Jedi and too full of fear and anger from his slave days to become a balanced, neutral Knight.

Mabye he's a psycho because he never got the support he needed. I'm sure the whole Jedi Council was probably kreeping Anikin at arms length (and he already knew they didint want him to be a Jedi, didint he?).

So what the hell did happen to Yaddle?
Looks like a LOT of the original Jedi council was replaced in the (less than) ten year between episodes.
Mabye theres more frusterated Jedi Masters than just Qui-Gon?

As to the lightsabre scene with Yoda:
It's just badly done.
Admit it.
I was in awe of Yoda catching the darkforce lightning but then it's cartoon time for my favorite character from the original trilogy.
Sad.
Anyone notice that Aki-Mundi (spelled wrong for certain: the big brained guy) from the Jedi Council was one of those captured by the battledroids in the arena?
Time for some remideal lightsaber lessons with those kids, I guess.
[Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ki-Adi Mundi.

And I agree on the Yoda/Dooku duel, which makes me pretty unpopular amoung my local action movie junkie friends. I'm one of those who thought when Dooku pulled out his sabre, Yoda should have just dropped a building on him or something...

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It's just the attitude he has: he rains on everybody's parade.
Mabye he's just too serious and severe for my taste.
Mabye you're right: I was REALLY disapointed in the lightsabre fights of Ep. II.

What the hell happened to Yaddle anyway?
mabye Yoda went into fast-forward and fucked her to death....

You mean Yoda the Hedgehog. It was all so our eyes wouldn't linger on the CGI creation for too long.

Yaddle died between the two movies. It's on starwars.com I think.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Yaddle died?
Of what? Corrupt file?

I agree that yoda should have just dropped a building on Dooku.
Or mabye one of those nice heavy troop transports. [Wink]

Why could'nt Yoda have just telekinetically yanked the batteries out of Dooku's lightsaber?
I guess it could explain why all sabers appear to be diffrent...

Yoda should have pimp-slapped Dooku with Anikin's severed arm. That would have been funny.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ew.

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

quote:
Why could'nt Yoda have just telekinetically yanked the batteries out of Dooku's lightsaber?
I guess it could explain why all sabers appear to be diffrent...

For the same reason that Vadar didn't use his telekenetic powers against Kenobi in ANH. It's assumed that the other person will simply block it. They said as much when Dooku admitted that the battle could only be won with a lightsaber fight.

quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
You mean Yoda the Hedgehog. It was all so our eyes wouldn't linger on the CGI creation for too long.

You said that before, and it still makes no sense. The previous 90 minutes were full of long, lingering shots of Yoda (sexy beast that he is). Why would they suddenly try to hide the CGI?

--------------------

Nim
Member # 205

And they didn't, Yoda's fighting style is a logical choice based on his very low body mass, very strong Force connection and 850 years of training against different opponents, learning to create a leverage when at a disadvantage.

Why jumping, you say? Well, when a waist-high fighter duels a 6'5" opponent, he tends to have a disadvantage in reach. This was alleviated.

He couldn't have had a longer saber because it would've been wrong for his stature, and if they had restricted his movements to grounded footwork his only targets would've been Dooku's feet, thighs and belly, the most easily-guarded parts for a swordsman.

No, the only thing I would've altered in that scene was Frank Oz's voice attitude during the fight.
More gruff, focused, enduring exhales instead of Kiai-shouts from Marvin the marsian.

Nothing in the world can beat his saber draw animation, though. ;.

-

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps