Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » $$$Revenge of the Sith Trailer$$$ (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: $$$Revenge of the Sith Trailer$$$
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know what a New Zealand accent sounds like. But I don't know for certain whether I've ever even heard a South African accent. Though, there is a family that regularly visits the library where I work, and someone once told me they were from SA. But they just sound English to me.

Now, the New Zealander family that also visit regularly: they definitely sound New Zealand.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The SA accent kinda places a questioning enphasis on some words (in a way it's like the minnisota accent but of course, not annoyong like that).

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Think the baddies in Lethal Weapon 2, the ultimate evil Sood Effrickens, men!

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, I give up.

-What the fuck you doin'? I'm a cop!
-Nee, yeu weeure e coep! *fioink*

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't I already bring up the Lethal Weapon 2 connection? Why, yes I did.

[Smile]

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then people saying they don't know what a Sudeffricken eccent sounds loike heve awnly thimsilves to blyme, men!

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OOh! Was the second-in-charge-bad-guy-that-Tom-Cruise-buttwhooped from Mission Impossible: 2 supposed to be South African? Cause he sounded exactly like you typed... I always thought he was supposed to be Aussie.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just listen to Charlize Theron on a talk show.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Lee
Member # 393

I think the Richard Roxburgh character in MI:2 was meant to be South African, yes. I've always found it deliciously ironic that that film was meant to be Dougray Scott's big break, but because of it he couldn't be Wolverine in X-Men, which was instead Hugh Jackman's big break. . .

Another one - anyone seen the episodes of The Fast Show which features Arabella Weir as a cosmetics-department shop assistant, who insults all the customers but always says "No offence?" That's a South African accent.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/fastshow/characters/no_offence.shtml

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I may have seen Lethal Weapon 2 at some point, but I don't remember it. As for the other examples... well, I know who Charlize Theron is, but I don't think I've seen her outside a movie.
Lee
Member # 393

If you're up for it, might I direct you toward Spitting Image's classic song "I've Never Met a Nice South African," available here (at the bottom of the page)? Written and performed at the height of 80's Apartheid, it is less than complimentary and includes a chorus sung in the accent.

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Not the highest quality recording, but I guess I can see where the confusion with New Zealand would come in, if only because the short 'e's sound a bit like short 'i's.
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eh, 's bollocks.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
As far as the previous prequels go, I really think the fight between Qui Gon Jinn, Obi Wan and Darth Maul was the very best duel of all the movies to date.
Best musical score in that as well.
Episode II had me enthralled with the city chase, amazing fighr between Obi Wan and Jango in the rain and the asteroid chase...really the whole detective story aspect of the movie was really good.
...and then they got to the "Gladiator arena" and the movie goes waaaaay south.
Great first half though: just lose Anakin, all the other Jedis (the ones that are sooo tough as to croak at the drop of a hat) and hyper-speed cartoon Yoda.

Jason you echo my thoughts/opinions exactly: The second half of TPM was good the first half of AOTC was good the rest crap. The cringe-worthy line of Dooku's to Yoda in AOTC "Looks like we can't settle this by our knowledege of the force" etc. ugh!

Oh and why shouldn't the Tantive IV look shiny and new in ROTS - it's set at least 18 years before ANH (depending on how old Luke and Leia are in ANH).

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes:
A friend and I were at a Hard Rock Cafe in Bahrain and we had a white girl waitress with a British sounding accent. We placed a bet to guess where she was from and lost. I was surprised when she said born and raised in South Africa.

That's cause your ears were full of seamen... 's voices. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps