Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » ISD design mistakes? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: ISD design mistakes?
Frankenerd
Member # 1385

- posted      Profile for Frankenerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anybody else noticed that the ISD's design is more than a little retarded?

1. None of the main battery can fire into the ventral hemisphere.
2. Only 50% of the main battery can fire broadside into each of the 45-135 and 225-315 degree arcs?
3. Only 25% of the main battery can fire directly forward.
4. Only 12.5% can fire to either 30 degree arc to the side of directly forward.
5. No main battery weapons seem to be able to fire aft in the horisontal elivation.
The very small number of secondary battery weapons is located midway down each side and at a notch in the trench limeting angles of fire dramaticly.
6. The films only show two of the box like turret mounts on the ventral surface of the ship.
7. As far as I know, The various novels do not have any weapons that can shoot into the subtended arc behind the ship. Certainly none are shown in any of the films, even when shuch would be eminately desirable.
8. The "bridge" structure and "superstructure" on top greatly increase the probability to hit ISD type ships.
9. The shield domes are only on top of the ship. What protects the bottom/ventral hemisphere?
10. The sensor/scanner systems lack resolution in angle, range, velocity and rate of change in all of those arias. There were six or seven ships with in two dozen miles of the MF when it ducked behind the Bridge Tower and they all missed it's maneuver and subsequent stop. Current Earth bound sensors have resolutions that would preclude any such maneuver from succedding!
11. Fire controle is so bad that the shots fired/hits ratio is on a parr with WW-I scores. WW-II factors are several times better than anything shown in any of the movies.
12. MV-Projectile speed is less than Cival war values. There is no cannon evidence of Light speed beams from any ship but the Death Star.

The above makes me wonder about the skill and knowledge of the writers and SFX crew.

Does anyone else out there think this is strange?

--------------------
Eligant solutions to insolvable problems.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, because what you're doing is confusing between some odd technical crap and works well for the story.

"OH MY GOD IN HEAVEN THE STAR DESTROYER CAN'T HIT THE BROADSIDE OF A BARN! THE WRITERS SUCK!"

I mean, I can understand a discussion of this in the "What were the Imperial designers smoking?" but then you go and make the assertation that because the Empire has lousy gunners (in their Stormtroopers, TIE fighters, and big badass ships), that it's somehow the writer's fault.

I think you're a little strange.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ISD suffers from the same "Starblazers Syndrome" as Battlestar Galactica, the TOS Enterprise and (obviously) the ships from STarblazers: the ships are not functional in a three dimensional environment and their weapons dont cover most fields of fire- particularly the ventral aspect.

Using naval vessels as the inspiration for spacecraft has it's drawbacks.

If it makes you feel any better, the Old Republic version of the ISD has ventral batteries (kinda like a cross between the Blockade Runner and an ISD).

From a SFX point of view, you're not supposed to notice stuff like that on the ISD as it blurrily cuts across the screen (nor are you supposed to see all the Tayiama model tank parts, the enbedded platic army man or the other greebles on the ISD studio models). [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, normally I'd be the last person to point this out. However, you have about 13 spelling errors in that post (including your bloody signature, which is shown in every post) and you're complaining about the skill of other writers.

Seriously.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Newbies: I've never trusted them and I never will.
I've never forgiven them for the death of Qui-Gon Jinn.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you imagine what a disaster it would be if all those admirals had the best possible equipment? They might wipe out the Rebellion! Then you would have a bunch of heavily armed military commanders with lots of time on their hands to consider politics.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

You know, I was certain your links would all be about the Bush administration.

I was not far wrong, either.

But no Neo-Con has a cool name like "Sextus".

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cooler.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I suppose some may think "Colon" to be sexy. [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's give the newbie the benefit of the doubt here, technical discussions are native to Flare, after all.

I think the turrets in the side-rim of the SD can turn backwards and fire, maybe not 180 degrees backwards but like 100-120 degrees.

And the domes on the bridge structure are the sensors, not shields.

About the effectiveness of the Star Destroyers, we only have to look at the reputation they've earned in the movies to see their worth, for example Solo's bragging at Mos Eisley about having fled some of them before in his career, which we're to understand is a hard feat.

About the effectiveness of the SD's AA-umbrellas being on par with WW-I standard, I've seen more than a few WW-II movies where american and japanese ships were on par with the Ottoman empire for AA, mostly for plot-flow reasons.
So everything's relative.

On the other hand, the Mon Calamari vessels are good examples of symmetrically built vessels that look about the same on the ventral and the dorsal side, so the designers weren't always "wrong".

One reason it may not matter how limited the fire arcs of the SDs are would be the old argument of the immensity of space, almost always giving them time to swing around to lay down fire when the target is 100000x kilometers away.

And about massing your firepower in only one direction, I refer to the french Richelieu class battleship, one of several designs to mass its main firepower one way.
http://flareupload.pleh.net/uploads/205/RichelieuLineDrawing.gif

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget that the ISD was redisgned at pretty much the last second to be a lot larger, so if the placement of some of the turbolasers seems a bit odd then they've got an excuse.

quote:
Originally posted by Nim':

I'm amazed we've got this far without someone saying "Imperator", personally.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THEY ARE SHIELDS IN X-WING

GENERAL TOP ACE IS MY CO-PILOT

(POSSIBLY THEY ARE SHIELD GENERATORS IN TIE FIGHTER TOO, MY MEMORY IS A LITTLE FUZZY)

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I never quite understood that argument. Yeah, from what we see on screen it could go either way, but the ONLY reason to think they're sensors that I know of is so that the design isn't incredibly stupid. And to channel someone who cares of such things for a moment, since all Star Wars productions are canon of one level or another, and the games have them as shield generators, and nothing higher contradicts them that I'm aware of... they're shield generators.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"THEY ARE SHIELDS IN X-WING"

BUT IN XN-WIG AILANC THEIR NOT SO I MEAN WTF TEHY CANT B SHEALDS NAD SNESORZ @ TEH SAME TIEM RITE??

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Move along, there is nothing to see here.
Its not like this has been done before.
http://www.theforce.net/swtc/towers.html#globes

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps