Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » ISD design mistakes? (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: ISD design mistakes?
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried it last night, as I said. And my joystick isn't USB, it's a serial one that plugs into the sound card.

Oddly enough, the joystick is the only computer component I haven't ever had to replace. Ever. This thing's like circa 1987 or something. Originally had it plugged into 386SX-16. And it still works great today - except for TIE Fighter, anyway.

B.J.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just keep toggling your joystick: something's bound to happen.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your phrasing was ambiguous as to when you tried DOSBox, which is why I asked. If it's a serial joystick, I really don't know why it doesn't work. I really thought USB was the problem with old games and joysticks, not Windows itself...

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Plugging your joystick into the USB port could lead to problems....yeah.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know why it's not working either, but it might be related to the sound card not working with TIE Fighter. Oh well. Can someone direct me to a good recent space fighter sim?

Jason: Do you suppose I could buy back my introduction to you? [Razz]

B.J.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I have also since discovered that there are two different versions of the tie fighter collector's edition cd."

Erh, no. LucasArts released TFCCD for the PC in '95 and two years later for the Mac, but there were never separate versions for DOS and Windows. You could just play the PC edition in both.

"it might be related to the sound card not working ..."

Well, obviously, if TIE Fighter won't detect the soundcard, then it won't detect any joystick input data being piped through it either, so...

(Irony, yet strange solacement: trying to run the game in Win95 then was even MORE troublesome than getting it to put up with Win2000 now, I daresay.)

[ February 23, 2005, 01:11 PM: Message edited by: Cartman ]

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Freespace 2. Uber-good graphics. Not much characterization, but the flight sim itself can't be beat. Or if you're in the mood for uber-customizable open source stuff, check out Vegastrike. They have a nice clone of Wing Commander Privateer right now, and I'm working on incorporating it into a clone of WC Armada. It's partially done, should be ready in a couple months. [Smile]
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by B.J.:

Jason: Do you suppose I could buy back my introduction to you? [Razz]

B.J.

Only if you use the word "joystick" in an new introduction.

On the positive side, I've gotten over your name... [Big Grin]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Intruder1701
Member # 880

- posted      Profile for Intruder1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well in ROTJ when those fighters destroyed the dome on top of the Executor the officer clearly states after the fact "Sir, we've lost our bridge deflector shield" so those domes on top of the Star Destroyer are shield generators.

--------------------
"Who cares if we bomb a few hospitals, it just means we got them a second time" Warrant Officer Robert Clift, CVN-71 OEF

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or the attack and ensuing collateral explosions caused a power disruption that collapsed the bridge's deflector shield.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
Um, I said...
quote:
Did it impact because they took out the bridge and navigation was thrown off?
It's been a while since I've seen the movie and I didn't remember if the one that got up close and personal with the A-Wing was the one that nose-dived.
Unless there was another Super Star Destroyer hiding for the entire duration of the movie, then no.

And, actually, no anyway, since I've just remembered that Admiral Piet is on the bridge, so it has to be the Executor.

Didn't the X-Wing Collector's Edition set contain Win 95 versions of X-Wing and TIE-Fighter, both of which used the XW vs TF graphics engine (and replaced the midi music with film score. Which was nice if you had a rubbish sound card, but I had a Yamaha XG and TIE fighter sounded like oh cool wowo man.)

[ March 02, 2005, 08:20 AM: Message edited by: PsyLiam ]

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. Have a cookie.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yum!

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps