Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Star Wars » ISD design mistakes? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: ISD design mistakes?
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know... I get a significant amount of joy from following these conversations.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1.) I have never played X-Wing Alliance.

2.) If Lucasarts would go back (again) and release refurbished versions it would be a license to print money.

3.) How come there aren't any space sims anymore? Like, I played a little Freelancer and I was pointing and clicking. The hell is that?

4.) I'd also like a Space Quest VII please, Sierra, but no "action-adventure" hybrid.

(I feel I should make this confession here: I bought the expansion sets for both X-Wing and TIE Fighter and, besides one or two missions, never played them. I still feel guilty about it.)

5.) I'm not sure I see why having those bulbs be shield generators is such a terrible idea. I mean, if they're generating the shields then they ought to be inside them, surely, and thus as protected as anything else?

Finally; I wasn't really kidding too much in suggesting that an outfit like the Empire might have very valid reasons for stressing form over function.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always thought they were shield generators: as soon as they lose one (in Jedi) a bridge officer announces "We've lost our forward shield!".

Seems pretty conclusive to me.

Remember, this ship is made by the same guys that allowed accurate schematics of the Death Star to fall into Rebel hands not once, but twice in an attempt to lure the rebels into a trap.

"Sure, the rebels used the plans we let them steal to destroy the first Death Star, bit this time it'll be diffrent...really! After all, we've parked our giant command ship in a close orbit of the station. What could possibly go wrong?"

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jason: Read the link Mucus posted, very informative.

Simon, you should definitely play "X-Wing: Alliance", it is immensely satisfying. Great plot and characters and the YT-2000 is frankly the best Star Wars ship ever.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've read through that site several times in the past and it always strikes me a fans desperately trying to explain away the more senseless aspects and errors of the SW movies.

Their explanation is that the shields failed at the exact same moment that the "sensor" some was destroyed: no reason is given as to WHY and it's called a "flukey system failure".

More like a logic failure on their part.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cartman:
"THEY ARE SHIELDS IN X-WING"

BUT IN XN-WIG AILANC THEIR NOT SO I MEAN WTF TEHY CANT B SHEALDS NAD SNESORZ @ TEH SAME TIEM RITE??

No, they're shield generators there too. Also in the Rogue Squadron games (although they also make the big dome on the bottom one as well, slightly bizairly).

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

newark
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for newark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If we on the tangent of ridiculous technical mistakes, may I add the Executor nose-diving into the Death Star? This is space - ships don't nose-dive into a nearby structure unless the captain deliberately orders a collision in the first place. Using reality, god forbid, the super star destroyer would have been adrift. Furthermore, if the Executor did find a way somehow to impact the Death Star (silly name [Roll Eyes] ), I think the results would be catastrophic for the space station. If a rock of sufficient mass hitss the moon,there are moonquakes. Wouldn't there be a station quake when the two vehicles collided? (This last bit may be a bit silly, then again, maybe not. [Razz] )
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's silly is the idea that the SSD was flying close enough to such a massive body to impact it no matter what its orientation or course was. Precision flying planes hit things when they get bumped off course... not giant starships. But, the fact that it didn't hit the death star with greater speed could (I suppose) be attributed to engines being fired at full reverse trying to stop.

But seriously... how could X wings generate anywhere near the force needed to move something of that mass. Did it impact because they took out the bridge and navigation was thrown off? Still... it never would have been that close to the DS.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
3.) How come there aren't any space sims anymore?

Can I join you in this rant? I really miss the likes of X-Wing, TIE Fighter and Wing Commander. I still have my special CD edition of TIE Fighter but I CAN'T FREAKIN' PLAY IT ON MY COMPUTER! My joystick has been sitting mostly idle for YEARS now.

(One small bright spot, though: the independent B5 Starfury sim "I've Found Her". Some minor issues but very cool overall! Too bad it's really only a demo and not much for replay value yet.)

B.J.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aban: You seem to forget that the fight took place very close to the station, Calrissian and the other fighters could turn around and enter the Death Star II within moments of noticing the dropped shield.

quote:
But seriously... how could X wings generate anywhere near the force needed to move something of that mass.
What do you mean, X-Wings moving something?
An A-Wing crashed into the main bridge of the Executor, the ensuing fire spreading in the bridge structure covered several decks and probably extended a rather long way inside the structure as well.
The explosion and fire obviously destroyed vital equipment keeping tabs on orbit stabilization, engine output and guidance thrusters, and the gravitation fiend of the space station sucked the ship into it.

It would've crashed into the station nose-first if the nose was the point of the ship closest to the station, and it was traveling forward at the time.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Um, I said...
quote:
Did it impact because they took out the bridge and navigation was thrown off?
It's been a while since I've seen the movie and I didn't remember if the one that got up close and personal with the A-Wing was the one that nose-dived.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by B.J.:
My joystick has been sitting mostly idle for YEARS now.

....no.
Too easy. [Big Grin]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
You know... I get a significant amount of joy from following these conversations.

This is what no sex before marriage does to you, people!

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

So...one fateful night Aban winn need his bride to whisper sweet nothings about starship inconsistantcies and the probable length of The Defiant to get off?

Hmmm...at least he's not a Furry, I suppose.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

It's not the length of my Defiant, it's the fact that I carry a full compliment of Quantum Torpedos.

Good grief...

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps